Shai Reads The Case for Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 12:09 AM
RE: Shai Reads The Case for Christ
Makes you wonder how anyone reads these things and thinks "er yup, that makes sense". I think its a crime to write shitty books like that - how many poor bastards are earnestly trying to make sense of his crap? Hopefully a few less now that Steve Shives has done his good work.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 03:01 AM
It's more fun to read The Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire.

Just read that. All these new authors pale into insignificance. And it's funny. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-03-2017, 03:15 AM
If it's not too much of a derail, can I ask why you are a Christian? Not why you believe any of it is true, but why you choose to be a part of the religion?

If it's not appropriate then don't worry.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-03-2017, 03:42 AM
(06-03-2017 03:15 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If it's not too much of a derail, can I ask why you are a Christian? Not why you believe any of it is true, but why you choose to be a part of the religion?

We've also asked. Best I can figure out is he's a little bit loony and he's OK with that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-03-2017, 08:13 AM
(06-03-2017 03:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It's more fun to read The Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire.

Just read that. All these new authors pale into insignificance. And it's funny. Smile
When we discussed Enlightenment philosophers and their impact on our theories of crime, it was a lot like discussing evolution in relationship to our biological theories...people got upset. Tongue Voltaire's last words about not wanting to make another enemy when asked to renounce the Devil were not something that was brought up.

(06-03-2017 03:15 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If it's not too much of a derail, can I ask why you are a Christian? Not why you believe any of it is true, but why you choose to be a part of the religion?

Because I do believe. I realize it seems like a bit of a cop out answer, but it's true. Sure, I've had some experiences that many on the forum would declare "woo" or could point out how they could be naturally explained (and so could I, for that matter) but they've helped reinforce my beliefs, despite knowing the logical reasons they may not be true, so Morondog's "a bit loony" could be accurate maybe. Though happy to oblige if you all ever need someone to rip apart generic Evangelical Christianity. Smile

Also, can I just say, kudos to you for politeness? I had an Evangelical youth minister on Facebook ask something similar but in a much more accusatory tone that underlied basically how he thought I was an atheist or something because of never posting nice things about Evangelical Christianity, just the other week. Smile It brings no surprise to find that here, you would ask it as a genuine question and nicely.

(06-03-2017 03:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  

We've also asked. Best I can figure out is he's a little bit loony and he's OK with that.

Love you too Morondog. Tongue But yes, I am.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-03-2017, 10:51 AM
(06-03-2017 08:13 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 03:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  It's more fun to read The Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire.

When we discussed Enlightenment philosophers and their impact on our theories of crime, it was a lot like discussing evolution in relationship to our biological theories...people got upset. Tongue Voltaire's last words about not wanting to make another enemy when asked to renounce the Devil were not something that was brought up.

Because I do believe. I realize it seems like a bit of a cop out answer, but it's true. Sure, I've had some experiences that many on the forum would declare "woo" or could point out how they could be naturally explained (and so could I, for that matter) but they've helped reinforce my beliefs, despite knowing the logical reasons they may not be true, so Morondog's "a bit loony" could be accurate maybe. Though happy to oblige if you all ever need someone to rip apart generic Evangelical Christianity. Smile

Also, can I just say, kudos to you for politeness? I had an Evangelical youth minister on Facebook ask something similar but in a much more accusatory tone that underlied basically how he thought I was an atheist or something because of never posting nice things about Evangelical Christianity, just the other week. Smile It brings no surprise to find that here, you would ask it as a genuine question and nicely.

(06-03-2017 03:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  We've also asked. Best I can figure out is he's a little bit loony and he's OK with that.

Baby steps in our general direction... Thumbsup
06-03-2017, 12:13 PM
You're very welcome Smile Thank you!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
So are you going to review Evidence That Demands a Verdict from Josh McDowell?

I've just seen the trailers for it on youtube, looks awful.

[Image: 60114681.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-03-2017, 02:06 PM
(06-03-2017 08:13 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Voltaire's last words about not wanting to make another enemy when asked to renounce the Devil were not something that was brought up.

A very good reason to meet him.

Seriously, he's one of the funniest and most intelligent authors I ever read. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-03-2017, 02:54 PM
(06-03-2017 10:51 AM)julep Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 08:13 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  When we discussed Enlightenment philosophers and their impact on our theories of crime, it was a lot like discussing evolution in relationship to our biological theories...people got upset. Tongue Voltaire's last words about not wanting to make another enemy when asked to renounce the Devil were not something that was brought up.

Baby steps in our general direction... Thumbsup

So people keep saying. Heh. Pretty sure my Baptist minister cousin-in-law would have a heart attack at my bookshelf. So many filthy Papist books, and atheist ones as well. Tongue

(06-03-2017 02:00 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So are you going to review Evidence That Demands a Verdict from Josh McDowell?

I've just seen the trailers for it on youtube, looks awful.

[Image: 60114681.jpg]

...I have no plans to, no. But had not seen the trailer before you mentioned it here, heh. Main reason for this one was already having a copy on hand from a book sale a few years ago and seeing the trailer on YouTube.

(06-03-2017 02:06 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 08:13 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Voltaire's last words about not wanting to make another enemy when asked to renounce the Devil were not something that was brought up.

A very good reason to meet him.

Seriously, he's one of the funniest and most intelligent authors I ever read. Big Grin

He really is, the wit comes through so often where others of the period can be so much more dry. Tongue

Edit: Also, should have 4 more chapters up by next Sunday. Co-reader and I have both decided we can't keep this one chapter thing going or we'll both go insane over a 14 week period.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post