Shamanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 08:22 AM
RE: Shamanism
*sigh*

No

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
31-01-2013, 09:10 AM
(31-01-2013 08:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  *sigh*

No

All things equal, so long as he isn't trying to push creationism into public schools or threaten the rest of us with eternal damnation for not believing in his particular set of spiritual beliefs, and this makes him happy? I'm fine with him believing whatever he wants, it's not my life. So long as it doesn't interfere with me, I'm good. Now if he starts trying to argue how his spiritual beliefs and feelings are somehow proof for a human 'soul' or he starts to make other metaphysical claims, I'll call out bad reasons and logic just like I do with our garden variety theists.

Bottom line: If it makes him happy and he doesn't violate logic, reason, or my own freedoms; I'm more than willing to let bygones be bygones. Thumbsup

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-01-2013, 09:22 AM
(31-01-2013 09:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 08:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  *sigh*

No

All things equal, so long as he isn't trying to push creationism into public schools or threaten the rest of us with eternal damnation for not believing in his particular set of spiritual beliefs, and this makes him happy? I'm fine with him believing whatever he wants, it's not my life. So long as it doesn't interfere with me, I'm good. Now if he starts trying to argue how his spiritual beliefs and feelings are somehow proof for a human 'soul' or he starts to make other metaphysical claims, I'll call out bad reasons and logic just like I do with our garden variety theists.

Bottom line: If it makes him happy and he doesn't violate logic, reason, or my own freedoms; I'm more than willing to let bygones be bygones. Thumbsup

I see your reasoning, and it is valid enough. However, I still consider this Shamanism thing to be ridiculous, as such, I will maintain:

*sigh*

No

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
31-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Exploration is fun.
I hope we will be updated on the findings.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-01-2013, 10:06 AM
There are a few things about shamanism that i think are completely wrong. Like pyschopomp; apparently a gifted shaman can accompany the "soul" of a person into the afterlife. Personnally I think they're just really high when they do it.

As to why. Parts of shamanism, mainly the energy manipulation, seem to work (probably placebo i know) so I decided to explore further and as i was explorer I became a follower.

As for eating magic mushrooms that depends on what you're comfortable wih and what you believe actually works. I don't think any encounter of anykind under the influence of something are helpful so I don't do it, others do.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
31-01-2013, 10:11 AM
(31-01-2013 10:06 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  There are a few things about shamanism that i think are completely wrong. Like pyschopomp; apparently a gifted shaman can accompany the "soul" of a person into the afterlife. Personnally I think they're just really high when they do it.

As to why. Parts of shamanism, mainly the energy manipulation, seem to work (probably placebo i know) so I decided to explore further and as i was explorer I became a follower.

As for eating magic mushrooms that depends on what you're comfortable wih and what you believe actually works. I don't think any encounter of anykind under the influence of something are helpful so I don't do it, others do.

Manipulation of what energy? Seriously, there is no evidence of a vital force or qi or esoteric energy or Odic force or anything.

Eventually you just have to admit that if it looks like the absence of a duck, walks like the absence of a duck, and quacks like the absence of a duck,
the duck is probably absent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I think they use energy the wrong way chas. I think a more apt description is more like the force, but lacking the physical manipulation part.

Kinda like doctors cure you and feeling good helps with it.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

31-01-2013, 10:19 AM
(31-01-2013 10:15 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I think they use energy the wrong way chas. I think a more apt description is more like the force, but lacking the physical manipulation part.

Kinda like doctors cure you and feeling good helps with it.

What do you mean? One's mental and emotional state cause changes in body chemistry which can affect healing and disease progression.
No 'force' required.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Man I suck at explaining, luckily chas has gotten quite close to what I was trying to say. The only difference is that I try to channel my feelings of happiness and well being into those around me as well.

31-01-2013, 10:45 AM
(31-01-2013 10:21 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Man I suck at explaining, luckily chas has gotten quite close to what I was trying to say. The only difference is that I try to channel my feelings of happiness and well being into those around me as well.

I think that's ok. Thumbsup
If, as you have mentioned, have felt something lacking in your ability to just hang with people and relate, it's a good thing to explore some interior shit. It might help you open yourself up to others but more importantly, it might open yourself up to yourself.

Exploration; it's always a good thing. Say I, Dorothy; the meek. Dodgy

What is your age, if I may inquire?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post