Shambhala Music Festival

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Shambhala Music Festival
This year will be my first time attending this festival, hoping it will be an amazing time. Two more weeks! Anyone else going this year, or gone in the past?

http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2012, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 11:08 AM by LadyJane.)
RE: Shambhala Music Festival
When I hear the word shambhala all I can picture are people crazed on meth, and now I picture on bath salts.

I probably have an overactive imagination and I do have a fear of large crowds, so maybe it's just me, but stay safe! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
26-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I thought of that old Three Dog Night song.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-07-2012, 06:13 PM
(26-07-2012 10:35 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  When I hear the word shambhala all I can picture are people crazed on meth, and now I picture on bath salts.

I probably have an overactive imagination and I do have a fear of large crowds, so maybe it's just me, but stay safe! Smile

Not that many crazed people from what I gather. Its a very chill and happy place according to everyone I know who has gone. Most of them say Shambhala is one of the best experiences of their life. I'm with you on the large crowds though. Not necessarily fear, just a general distaste for them.

26-07-2012, 06:15 PM
(26-07-2012 10:41 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I thought of that old Three Dog Night song.

The one with all the ohs and ahs and yeah yeah yeahs?

[+] 1 user Likes Pavlov's_Ape's post
26-07-2012, 06:37 PM
(26-07-2012 06:13 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(26-07-2012 10:35 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  When I hear the word shambhala all I can picture are people crazed on meth, and now I picture on bath salts.

Not that many crazed people from what I gather. Its a very chill and happy place according to everyone I know who has gone. Most of them say Shambhala is one of the best experiences of their life. I'm with you on the large crowds though. Not necessarily fear, just a general distaste for them.

There are documentaries and shows (specials) on how bad the meth and ecstasy are there ( gonna try to find some later, no time now), and the police force that's needed to keep people safe. There have been quite a few deaths, as well.
26-07-2012, 07:44 PM
(26-07-2012 06:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(26-07-2012 06:13 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  Not that many crazed people from what I gather. Its a very chill and happy place according to everyone I know who has gone. Most of them say Shambhala is one of the best experiences of their life. I'm with you on the large crowds though. Not necessarily fear, just a general distaste for them.

There are documentaries and shows (specials) on how bad the meth and ecstasy are there ( gonna try to find some later, no time now), and the police force that's needed to keep people safe. There have been quite a few deaths, as well.

As far as I know, no one has EVER died there in the eight years it has been running. I could be wrong, you'll have to find me a source for that, though. I haven't been able to find any. There are drugs there, sure, but its really to be expected at a music festival. But meth is definitely not a drug of choice for festival goers. What meth head is going to be able to afford a $300 dollar ticket, anyways?

27-07-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm curious - why do you picture that? What aspect of a music festival creates that picture in your mind?
27-07-2012, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2012 02:22 PM by britzbitz.)
(26-07-2012 06:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(26-07-2012 06:13 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  Not that many crazed people from what I gather. Its a very chill and happy place according to everyone I know who has gone. Most of them say Shambhala is one of the best experiences of their life. I'm with you on the large crowds though. Not necessarily fear, just a general distaste for them.

There has only ever been one documentary about Shambhala, and we released it ourselves.

There are sometimes snippets on the news, but I've never seen anything that delved too much into drug usage.

I wonder if you are thinking of another festival? That doesn't sound like our festival at all. There have never been any deaths, and there is not a large police presence at our event. We have mostly licensed, bonded security guards, and work cooperatively with the RCMP.

Unfortunately, drugs are a societal problem, not a festival problem. And many people tend to forget that.

Nothing happens at festivals (electronic music oriented or otherwise), that doesn't happen in cities and towns across North America on a nightly basis.
[+] 1 user Likes britzbitz's post
27-07-2012, 02:16 PM
(26-07-2012 07:44 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  
(26-07-2012 06:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  There are documentaries and shows (specials) on how bad the meth and ecstasy are there ( gonna try to find some later, no time now), and the police force that's needed to keep people safe. There have been quite a few deaths, as well.

As far as I know, no one has EVER died there in the eight years it has been running. I could be wrong, you'll have to find me a source for that, though. I haven't been able to find any. There are drugs there, sure, but its really to be expected at a music festival. But meth is definitely not a drug of choice for festival goers. What meth head is going to be able to afford a $300 dollar ticket, anyways?

Shambhala has been running for 15 years. We have an impeccable safety record. There have never been any deaths. We have set the precedent for large events when it comes to working cooperatively with outside services, like police, hospitals, fire department, Interior Health, etc. We helped write a handoff protocol for BC Ambulance. We have Harm Reduction services integrated into our health & well being zone (Harm Reduction basically entails prevention through education - and it works). Our Security protocols and processes have been commended by the RCMP. We are industry leaders when it comes to health and safety.

Not to toot our own horn or anything, but Shambhala is probably one of the safest events you could go to.
[+] 1 user Likes britzbitz's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you listen to any religious music? TheLogicalAthiest 5 58 22-07-2014 01:30 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Religious Music CiderThinker 19 193 11-07-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  33 Days of Music Miss Suzanne 140 1,774 17-06-2014 05:01 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Indie Music Thread WeAreTheCosmos 64 1,154 07-06-2014 07:37 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  my music DawkinsFan420 1 85 04-06-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: FreeThinker69
  Classical and Instrumental Music Thread Michael_Tadlock 14 206 29-05-2014 04:11 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  Days of Music? Miss Suzanne 5 109 18-04-2014 05:41 AM
Last Post: ELK12695