Shame and nakedness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Shame and nakedness
When did humans start to equate not wearing clothes with a sense of shame? And why?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2014, 09:49 PM
RE: Shame and nakedness
I can't be sure, but I think it was right around the time that American tourists started showing up on European nude beaches.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like evenheathen's post
01-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Quite early.

God, apple, snake, fig leaf... that kinda thing.

Drinking Beverage

01-01-2014, 09:50 PM
After Eve forced Adam to eat that damn apple.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
01-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Religions equating nudity with lust and lust with sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Way before Christianity did people start to wrap themselves up in things besides their own fur taking up in this order of priority: Keeping warm > defense against environment > avoiding frequent pregnancy > shame.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
02-01-2014, 12:45 AM
It's a recurring theme in many religions stemming from a number of factors. The immediately obvious ones are:

- Men have historically been insecure about knowing who their offspring are. Women can be certain but men have to take it on faith as it were. In patriarchal societies this commonly leads to locking the women away for "their own good." Shame over nudity is one obvious aspect of this.

- Bottling up the human sex drive is one of the simplest ways to drive somebody batshit crazy. Start from a very early age with a nudity taboo that keeps the opposite sex at arm's length and simultaneously generates a sense of something illicit yet wonderful. Wrap that in sin and shame, add teenage hormones and voila! you have a recipe for a true believer. That or a serial killer.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-01-2014, 04:58 AM
"A recent University of Florida study concluded that humans started wearing clothes some 170,000 years ago, lining up with the end of the second-to-last ice age... by studying the evolution of lice."
Source: http://gizmodo.com/when-did-humans-start...1299154403

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
02-01-2014, 05:25 AM
I think only some humans equate those two things.
02-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Juv, I think it is fairly universal. Even in cultures where very little clothing is expected (eg a loincloth) the clothing that is expected is generally mandatory and shame results from those body regions being exposed.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.