Shame and nakedness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: Shame and nakedness
(02-01-2014 07:10 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I feel like (meaning, I haven't a fucking clue, but maybe…) it evolved slowly due to a variety of factors.

1) Perhaps when we began to clothe ourselves from the elements, those parts of our bodies "went away" from the eyes of others for a little while, which resulted in them being looked at as "special". Something only seen under certain conditions.

2) Those parts of our bodies happen to play a significant role in sexuality. With them now being considered "special", their sexual significance was increased, which made them (and the viewing of them) something considered carnal or animalistic.

3) Throw nonsensical beliefs (held on a mass scale) about what is "dirty" and "sinful" into the mix, and slowly, society begins to evolve the view that such parts of our bodies are taboo or forbidden, and if we show them, we're supposed to feel shame.

After all, when we have exposed ourselves in some way, we feel "humiliated", which partly means "to degrade", which basically means to lower ourselves - perhaps to the position of an animal. The Human ego makes us feel that we're superior to the animals who run around without clothing and have sex in the open all the time. We see the dog chewing its ass when company is over and we feel embarrassed on his behalf because we have an ego that he doesn't. We feel that we're superior with our clothed bodies and sense of privacy. To disrobe out in the open is (according to our ego) to "degrade" ourselves. To make ourselves like any other animal. Thus, we feel shame.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass; I don't know. Drinking Beverage

I imagine a different reason: those are the most vulnerable areas of the body. If I were marching off on a hunt or to battle, you can darn sure bet my vulnerable areas would be covered with the best armor/furs/leather I could manage. And just as with the Lone Ranger's mask, removal and exposure by the enemy would be humiliating and dangerous. Enter religion, and....... well, you know the rest.

I have a vivid imagination. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 11:28 AM
(01-01-2014 09:54 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Religions equating nudity with lust and lust with sin.

blame it on religion

I have been around the world, literally, and in Europe, they arent not as hung up on nudity as we (USA) are, by far. of course, this could be a good thing as over 55% of america is overweight, and I really don't care to see that Confused

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Every man that had a tiny penis wanted an excuse to hide it from the ladies.
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
The ancients had such tiny cocks...

I know one fig leaf ain't enough for my cock and bollocks.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2014, 10:48 AM
[Image: 048-hell-is-fake-and-religion-is-about-control.png]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
03-01-2014, 10:57 AM
It's not all about religion, a lot of people are just unhappy with how their bodies look and are too self conscious about that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
03-01-2014, 11:06 AM
(03-01-2014 10:57 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It's not all about religion, a lot of people are just unhappy with how their bodies look and are too self conscious about that.

So in that case we should see all the people with nice bodies naked in public and all over nudist beaches and the like and others not.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-01-2014, 11:13 AM
(03-01-2014 11:06 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 10:57 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  It's not all about religion, a lot of people are just unhappy with how their bodies look and are too self conscious about that.

So in that case we should see all the people with nice bodies naked in public and all over nudist beaches and the like and others not.

No, that doesn't mean that. Objective attractiveness doesn't play a role. People who others may find attractive are often the most self conscious about how they look.
What you usually find on nudist beaches are people who don't give a fuck about how they look.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post