Shameless self promotion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: Shameless self promotion
(16-08-2015 09:46 AM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Latest piece sharing some of my thoughts on abortion rights.

https://medium.com/@CosmicDiscourse/to-a...86fdb6e39d

You wrote:

Quote:Ladies, though it’s an uphill battle, take solace in the fact that not all men share this view. My message to men who oppose a woman’s right to bodily autonomy is clear:

Shut the hell up! It’s none of your business, unless the female in question chooses to include you in her decision. When you’re able to give birth, then you can have a say in the matter, period!

Rock on. However, the problem is it's not only men telling women what to do with their bodies. I'd also add in that you never see poor women, who've had to face the proposition of a child they remotely couldn't afford to care for, telling other women they can't control their bodies, either. It's always the well-to-do middle-class WASP who's telling women what they can't do... the woman who never really had to worry about such things, on a serious, starvation-level concern. I know your blog posts are too short to get into intersectional feminism, but it's too easily-dismissed, if you simply say it's men doing all the work of stopping women from controlling their bodies. Lots of "Aunt Toms" in there, too, so to speak. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2015, 10:12 AM
(16-08-2015 10:03 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 09:46 AM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Latest piece sharing some of my thoughts on abortion rights.

https://medium.com/@CosmicDiscourse/to-a...86fdb6e39d

You wrote:

Quote:Ladies, though it’s an uphill battle, take solace in the fact that not all men share this view. My message to men who oppose a woman’s right to bodily autonomy is clear:

Shut the hell up! It’s none of your business, unless the female in question chooses to include you in her decision. When you’re able to give birth, then you can have a say in the matter, period!

Rock on. However, the problem is it's not only men telling women what to do with their bodies. I'd also add in that you never see poor women, who've had to face the proposition of a child they remotely couldn't afford to care for, telling other women they can't control their bodies, either. It's always the well-to-do middle-class WASP who's telling women what they can't do... the woman who never really had to worry about such things, on a serious, starvation-level concern. I know your blog posts are too short to get into intersectional feminism, but it's too easily-dismissed, if you simply say it's men doing all the work of stopping women from controlling their bodies. Lots of "Aunt Toms" in there, too, so to speak. Tongue
You're absolutely right in your assessment. I try to briefly touch on that with the coached women appearances on television, but I didn't want to expand on it and lose the attention of the bigots I attempt to reach out to 😀

Thanks for the feedback, it's individuals like yourself who keep my fire burning for positive change.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
16-08-2015, 10:21 AM
(16-08-2015 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Paragraph 4: *so too do

Paragraph 6: I think "thoughtless" seems odd... "unthinking"?

Quote:When you’re able to give birth, then you can have a say in the matter, period!

Yabut! Government should have a say food production.

Thumbsup
Thanks for the grammatical recommendation. In general, the topic is a very nuanced one, but your point on government support is a valid one.
16-08-2015, 11:06 AM
(16-08-2015 10:21 AM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Paragraph 4: *so too do

Paragraph 6: I think "thoughtless" seems odd... "unthinking"?

Yabut! Government should have a say food production.

Thumbsup
Thanks for the grammatical recommendation. In general, the topic is a very nuanced one, but your point on government support is a valid one.

That wasn't even close to my point but no matter. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
16-08-2015, 11:08 AM
(16-08-2015 11:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 10:21 AM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  Thanks for the grammatical recommendation. In general, the topic is a very nuanced one, but your point on government support is a valid one.

That wasn't even close to my point but no matter. Big Grin
Lol your original intent just registered in my head