Share some philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Share some philosophy
As many of you may have figured out by now, I'm a huge fan of Stoicism, specifically Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (the last of the Stoics). Their philosopy preceded Christianity by at least 300 years (in fact, most of Christianity's 'brotherly love' is probably derived from Stoicism).

I welcome you all to share philosophical quotes that you like, that you may even base your own personal philosophies on. Here's a quote from Meditations, Marcus' own personal musings:

"If thought is something we share, then so is reason -- swhat makes us reasoning beings.

If so, then the reason that tells us what to do and what not to do is also shared.

And if so, we share a common law.

And thus, are fellow citizens.

And fellow citizens of something.

And in that case, our state must be the world. What other entity could all of humanity belong to? And from it -- from this state that we share -- come thought and reason and law."

Words to live by... Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2010, 09:45 PM
RE: Share some philosophy
Well, I'm a big determinist, so...

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." - Albert Einstein

"You will say that I feel free. This is an illusion, which may be compared to that of the fly in the fable, who, upon the pole of a heavy carriage, applauded himself for directing its course. Man, who thinks himself free, is a fly who imagines he has power to move the universe, while he is himself unknowingly carried along by it." -- Baron d'Hobach

And then some atheist quotes, just cause.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." – Gene Roddenberry

"What’s “God”? Well, you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you." – Steve Buscemi. And yes, that is from a movie.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2010, 08:02 AM
A lot of my favorite philosophical quotes come from Terry Pratchett novels. Most of them require you to be familiar with the story of the book, so I can't post them here, but two of them - my personal favorites - are great stand-alone quotes.

Here's one from Hogfather. The setup: Susan, Death's adopted granddaughter, has just saved the Hogfather (Santa) from the villains, and is now speaking with Death.
Philosophical concept: what it means to be human, and why we believe in things.

Quote:"Thank you," said Susan. "Now... tell me..."
WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO.
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
She turned on him.
"It's been a long night, Grandfather! I'm tired and I need a bath! I don't need silliness!"
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.
They walked in silence for a moment.
"Ah," said Susan dully. "Trickery with words. I would have thought you'd have been more literal-minded than that."
I AM NOTHING IF NOT LITERAL-MINDED. TRICKERY WITH WORDS IS WHERE HUMANS LIVE.
"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WERE SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-"
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? said Death. THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET... AND YET YOU HUMANS ACT AS IF THERE WAS SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE WORLD BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"Yes, but people have got to believe that, otherwise what's the point-"
MY POINT EXACTLY.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Another one, this one from Reaper Man. Death has just discovered that one of his best friends, an old woman named Miss Flitworth, is due to pass on. But he feels that he owes her something, because she was his friend during his time as a mortal. So he goes to see Azrael, the Death of Universes, to beg for the time to repay Miss Flitworth for her kindness.
Philosophical subject: the need for simple human kindness in an uncaring universe.

Quote:LORD, WE KNOW THAT THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE. THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.
AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

As far as "words to live by" go, this scene from Night Watch sums it up for me. Sam Vimes, the main character, has been sent back in time to the eve of a famous rebellion where seven of his closest friends died. He can't return to his life until events have run their course. If his friends survive, he may never get to return at all. So he goes up to the barricade to think about what he has to do: does he sacrifice his friends, as they are already dead to him anyway, and go back home, or does he save them and throw away his future?
Philosophical concept: morality.

Quote:He wanted to go home. He wanted it so badly that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was not fighting with every trick he knew, if the price was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves... then it was too high.
History finds a way? Well, it would have to come up with something good, because it was up against Sam Vimes now.
- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

And now, some more:

Quote:“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence."
- Aristotle

Quote:“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”
- Plato[/quote]

Quote:“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”
- Galileo Galilei

Quote:“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote:“One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote:“Prejudices are what fools use for reason."
- Voltaire

Quote:“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote:"Knowledge must continually be renewed by ceaseless effort, if it is not to be lost. It resembles a statue of marble which stands in the desert and is continually threatened with burial by the shifting sand. The hands of service must ever be at work, in order that the marble continue to lastingly shine in the sun. To these serving hands mine shall also belong."
- Albert Einstein

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2010, 02:51 PM
My favorite quote was told to me by one of my high school teachers: "You can't escape death. Start living while you still can."
30-06-2010, 08:05 AM

Who can sum my beliefs up better than George Carlin? He is a genius.

Here is some of his stuff on religion-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15OS2PdCKo
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
(30-06-2010 08:05 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Who can sum my beliefs up better than George Carlin? He is a genius.

Here is some of his stuff on religion-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15OS2PdCKo

this one is also so funny, i can not not post it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9U...=recentlik

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Synthesis of Religious Philosophy Rinpoche 17 205 02-07-2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 48 1,532 18-02-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Chippy
  Semantic wars on Hemlock Island (or how I got banned from a philosophy forum) Luminon 15 509 21-01-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Philosophy book recommendations natachan 9 248 09-01-2014 07:17 AM
Last Post: Khare
  Can I get some opinions on a philosophy project? Penumbrae 5 345 20-11-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Penumbrae
  Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3? I and I 55 4,756 18-11-2013 11:25 AM
Last Post: brokensymmetry
  Beginners Philosophy Monster_Riffs 4 286 11-11-2013 06:56 PM
Last Post: Monster_Riffs