Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 3.82 Average
25-08-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
(25-08-2014 11:09 AM)mozeef98 Wrote:  That being said, I still frequently contemplate salvation and my lack thereof (if you accept apostasy a damnable offense when you read scripture) and it gives me chills to think that I may spend an eternity in hell. Inspite of this, I refuse to be bullied into a conclusion and will offer my wrists for the shackles of damnation gladly the day I am found guilty of "thought crime".

Welcome to the forums, I think you'll find more confidence about what a bullying system it is. You're seeing it for what it is, the Wizard is behind the curtain thundering at you with all his might, but you've already started pulling back the curtain to see that there is no great Wizard behind it.

A book I enjoyed was Paul and Jesus by James Tabor, Paul basically wrote most of the principles of modern Christianity. He had a bunch of visions, made a bad prediction about Jesus coming back in his lifetime and was simply a religious zealot. If he had lived today, he quite possibly would have been institutionalized, and modern Christianity is based on this guy's writings....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2014, 04:45 AM
Share your de-conversion story
Jesus, whoever the historical character was, is an ideal to aspire to for modern Christians.

There are some very good people who aspire to this ideal.

I feel that outspoken Atheists often seem to have been raised Christian, and reject canon as irrational dogma later in life; including this forum's founder.

My perspective is a little different, as a student of religion and an active Seeker of faith and belonging.

Christianity is an effective framework for accomplishing life goals through one's children.

Freedom from dogmatic belief is not sufficient. It's not as if one can "pull back the curtain," see the Wizard, and go on to live a happy life.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
30-08-2014, 05:39 AM
(30-08-2014 04:45 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Christianity is an effective framework for accomplishing life goals through one's children.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2014, 05:44 AM
(30-08-2014 05:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 04:45 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Christianity is an effective framework for accomplishing life goals through one's children.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Consider

Exactly - it's either naive or sinister and I can't work out which side you come down on...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
(30-08-2014 04:45 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Jesus, whoever the historical character was, is an ideal to aspire to for modern Christians.....
==============================
Is this the type of thinking we should aspire too? Jesus is violent, vindictive, and petty.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." (John 15:6)
"He that is not with me is against me" (Matthew 12:30).
==============================
How can you trust someone who contradicts themselves

"If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true" (John 5:31)
"Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true" (John 8:14)
========
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.(Matthew 5:22),

You blind fools! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that has made the gold sacred? (Matthew 23:17).

don't believe everything you think
[+] 1 user Likes church_organ's post
13-09-2014, 12:52 PM
My deconversion didn't come about because of science, I've always lived the subject in all of its forms. Mine came about because I took a good look at the Christians around me and realizing how full of their own crap they were. My faith had already been waning and I have a lot of soft tissue damage in my back(stabilizer muscles and degenerative discs) and they just kept telling me to pray about it. When this panacea didn't help either problem in any kind of real and permanent sense I started objectively looking at religion in general. They didn't realize that religion in general is the hight of narcissism, this idea that some amazing being would choose this select group to live forever just blew my mind at that point. I then spent a couple of months thinking about this sort of strangeness and figured out that I had devalued myself so much because I was "nothing" without some big man in the sky to validate me. So it was more of a social realization than anything else that lead me away from religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Woefatt's post
13-09-2014, 04:15 PM
(13-09-2014 12:52 PM)Woefatt Wrote:  My deconversion didn't come about because of science, I've always lived the subject in all of its forms. Mine came about because I took a good look at the Christians around me and realizing how full of their own crap they were. My faith had already been waning and I have a lot of soft tissue damage in my back(stabilizer muscles and degenerative discs) and they just kept telling me to pray about it. When this panacea didn't help either problem in any kind of real and permanent sense I started objectively looking at religion in general. They didn't realize that religion in general is the hight of narcissism, this idea that some amazing being would choose this select group to live forever just blew my mind at that point. I then spent a couple of months thinking about this sort of strangeness and figured out that I had devalued myself so much because I was "nothing" without some big man in the sky to validate me. So it was more of a social realization than anything else that lead me away from religion.

Interesting perspective, thanks.

However, buried in there seems to be a little scientific method - the evidence of the ineffectiveness of prayer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-09-2014, 04:12 AM
I was never actually de-converted. I've never had a religious believe, having grown up in a secular household. However, there were strong Christian influences. My paternal grandparents were very strict church-goers, and they said grace at the beginning of every meal. My parents told them that they were raising my sister and I to come to our own conclusion about religion, and the result has been 2 atheist adults. My mom came out as atheist to me a few years ago, though I have no idea what my dad is. We haven't actually been bothered by any family members about our lack of religion. You can say it was pretty stress-free in relation to religion.
19-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Someone told me to barbecue kittens and sacrifice virgins, and that was all it took. Someone merely telling me something. I didn't even bother to question them. It simply felt right.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
19-09-2014, 06:19 AM
I pretended to be asleep one night to find out who the tooth fairy was. The rest just fell into place.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post