Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 3.58 Average
05-10-2015, 05:52 PM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
(21-09-2015 09:52 PM)mgoering Wrote:  Hey rosierachel, I too downloaded a bible app to my phone, but instead of reading it all the way through, I listened to it.

If you have the YouVersion bible app, I really would suggest that you listen to the NLT (new living translation) version. It is very easy to understand and so entertaining! It sounds like a funny satire, because the content is incredibly absurd and bizarre throughout, but the reader continues narrating with this happy upbeat voice. Sounds like an SNL skit. Just be ready for a lot of face palming!

Here's a sample:

https://www.bible.com/bible/116/deu.21.nlt

Happy listening!

I just went and read that. Crazy stuff!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2015, 09:40 AM
During my youth my parents didn't attend church and my dad was always upset about something "political bs" that always went on. As I got into my teens, friends would invite me to church for things and I bought into some of the thought process and I started going on my own. The problem, I am very analytical and was always asking questions as to "why." As I got older, I seen the things my father seen as well with the "church" and then I started reading and learning more and questioning more. Then something weird happened. I had a couple of friends that were married in the church and they started "swinging" with another couple. When I questioned that with their so called belief system the answer was "no where does it say we can't share if we both consent and it is within our own boundaries." I called BS. That's when I realized, wow, they do just pick and choose what they want and what they don't want. I'm not one to judge others if that is their Lifestyle, mine was more "why was that okay, but trying to convince me the world is 6000 years old and the dinosaurs were on the ark and me arguing that wasn't true a sin?"
Today I have two children that I let decide what they want. My daughter, like me questions everything about it, and has since called BS on religion even listening to Atheist pod casts and reading. My son is still trying to digest it, but I let them be open and discuss anything they want.
I don't attend church. If I do, it's only for a wedding or funeral, other than that, no. I don't hold it against anyone that does, that's their life, not mine. I would rather sleep in on Sunday's, Watch Football and spend time with my family. So I guess I was always an Atheist, I just didn't know how to approach it in my life. As I got older, I started not caring if people cared if was an atheist.
My brother, who was in the military for 22 years, is far beyond me and came came out to family after returning one time for Iraq. His words. "I've seen what Religion does, and if a "God" allows that, I want no part of it." Him and I are close. My sister on the other hand, we are holding out hope... :-)
[+] 2 users Like HawkofFreedom's post
08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I don't remember that I ever believed in the catholic teachings, although my family and schools were Christian. I suppose that as a child I accepted the existence of God and the stories in the Bible as truths, but I never got the thrill of it. Even if God and Jesus were supposed to be everywhere it seemed irrelevant to me as they were invisible and did not intervene. I recall that my mother wanted me to pray before sleeping, but I never did when she was not there, and by lack of enthusiasm from my side she didn't keep up with the effort very long.

I do recall that I tried a few times to make a promise /prayer to God that if he helped me to solve some mathematical problems during school tests I would start doing a real effort in worshiping him, but divine inspiration didn't come. As I got older the only question I had was why people wanted to believe, why do they keep on praying to a God that clearly didn't do anything. The reasons I learned never were conclusive for the existence of any religious truth. So in a couple of years, between the age of ten and twelve, I lost any good will to take anything religious as a truth.

So religion never had a deep impact on me, and I never felt the need to de -convert.
Statistically me and a lot of my family and entourage are Christian, but no true believers around. Religion was a sort of formal social convention imposed in the past by the Church/school. Once you became an adult you could take it or leave it.
[+] 1 user Likes WillemRM's post
10-10-2015, 03:14 PM
(08-10-2015 12:12 PM)WillemRM Wrote:  I do recall that I tried a few times to make a promise /prayer to God that if he helped me to solve some mathematical problems during school tests I would start doing a real effort in worshiping him, but divine inspiration didn't come.

I have a question. Why couldn't you do it yourself? Why did you have to ask God's help? Was it because you didn't have time to prepare for the test? you were kind of lazy to prepare for the test? you worked very hard but still couldn't understand how to solve those math problems?
I may explain to you why God didn't help you at that time.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
10-10-2015, 03:53 PM
[quote]I have a question. Why couldn't you do it yourself? Why did you have to ask God's help?

As you know there are some tricks/formula's to solve mathematical problems and I forgot some of them. Nevertheless I didn't fail the test because most of them I remembered. I did not really have to do it.

At the time I was thinking about the story of the Holy Spirit that enlightened the Apostles after Easter, so I thought to give it a try.

I know why I did not get any help from the Holy Spirit , but feel free to enlighten me.
[+] 1 user Likes WillemRM's post
10-10-2015, 04:04 PM
(10-10-2015 03:53 PM)WillemRM Wrote:  [quote]I have a question. Why couldn't you do it yourself? Why did you have to ask God's help?

As you know there are some tricks/formula's to solve mathematical problems and I forgot some of them. Nevertheless I didn't fail the test because most of them I remembered. I did not really have to do it.

At the time I was thinking about the story of the Holy Spirit that enlightened the Apostles after Easter, so I thought to give it a try.

I know why I did not get any help from the Holy Spirit , but feel free to enlighten me.
You remembered enough to pass the test. That is why you didn't need help at that time.
You said:"I did not really have to do it." So, the Holy Ghost also didn't really have to do it.

This is how it works: First God wants us to do all we can on our own. This way we learn and progress. If there is something we can not do(beyond our strength) but God wants us to do it then He WILL help.

10-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Quote: If there is something God wants us to do then He WILL help.
[/quote]

If he (and "we" according to you) wants us to learn from evil and suffering and all kinds of obstacles and problems that won't happen a lot won't it?
10-10-2015, 04:44 PM
(10-10-2015 04:27 PM)WillemRM Wrote:  
Quote: If there is something God wants us to do then He WILL help.

If he (and "we" according to you) wants us to learn from evil and suffering and all kinds of obstacles and problems that won't happen a lot won't it?
[/quote]
I am sorry, I don't understand this part "that won't happen a lot, won't it?" what exactly are you asking?

10-10-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm going to stop here because we are seriously of topic.

I'm sure a lot of people on this forum will not like this. It's my mistake as I asked you to enlighten me. But as I still care for my reputation, bye bye and sorry.
10-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Of course, reputation is something you have to care about