Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Votes - 3.82 Average
29-03-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
(29-03-2017 04:25 AM)mustardseed Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:58 PM)Diddlyboop Wrote:  ... It's so great to be free.
Awesome post Diddlyboop! I didn't experience the fear you write about but did grow up with the same teachings i.e. hell, holy spirit etc. Now that I'm de-converting it makes so much sense that non believers want to have a voice. So much unintended damage is done to kids in the name of religion and a "loving God".

I hope you continue on this path and enjoy a continued freedom.

Thank you so much. It really feels so great to know I'm not alone in leaving faith behind and that there are others who want to support me through this. The longer I go on, despite the fear, the more I'm sure I've made the right decision. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Diddlyboop's post
29-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Good luck with your journey. If you aren't already I highly recommend TTA podcast with Seth Andrews. It's refreshing to hear how he came out of a similar background.
[+] 1 user Likes mustardseed's post
05-04-2017, 08:13 PM
I wish my story was exciting, but the truth is simply that I never liked going to church. Booooooooring.
[+] 5 users Like captainphilbo's post
07-04-2017, 08:27 AM
The process for me happened when I graduated high school 15 years ago. I went to a Baptist high school (our mascot were the Crusaders) and then went to a Bible college. The college was teaching things that were contradicting what I was taught in school and church, but both were using the Bible to back themselves up. I went to my pastor and he told me everyone at the college was going to hell because they were wrong. I asked how he knew this and he said "it's in the Bible, you need to have more faith." For the first time I was fearful over going to hell. While both sides were Christian they both claimed to be correct.

Also during this time I was teaching a Bible class on Wednesday nights at church. I wanted to be a youth pastor. When the current youth pastor stepped down the church hired someone in the congregation who had no experience with the youth. I had been teaching since I was 14. I graduated from a Baptist school. I was going to a Bible college to be a Christian school teacher. None of that mattered. It was all politics. I left that church and left college distraught and not knowing the truth. I was too scared not to believe in god though.

In 2015 I watched the Ken Ham,/Bill Nye debate on YouTube. Ken Ham's teachings were taught in my "science" class. I was always taught scientists were wrong and Ken Ham was right. We had solid evidence of creation. I watched the debate and was disappointed and shocked. Ham kept saying "it's in the Bible, that's all the proof we need." NO IT ISN'T! I thought there was clear, scientific evidence of a young earth. Nope. Ken Ham always said if Genesis isn't true the entire Bible isn't true. Using that logic I looked into the story of the ark. No evidence of that either. So if these are just stories or fables does that mean Jesus may not have been the Son of God? What else was just a story? The Exodus from Egypt? No evidence.

About 5 or 6 months ago I realized I was an atheist and what I was taught were lies. I am now learning about actual science. Evolution is actually really awesome. It's way more mind blowing than "God did it." I have actual answers to my questions now. I have realized there is no war on Christianity. The earth is not 6,000 years old. A scientific theory is not a guess. The Bible is anything but infallible.

So while I spent 30 years believing your lies, thank you, Ken Ham for making me realize how BS Christianity really is.
[+] 4 users Like qpmomma's post
07-04-2017, 10:12 AM
(07-04-2017 08:27 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  Ken Ham always said if Genesis isn't true the entire Bible isn't true.

Well, at least Ham was right about this bit.

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
10-04-2017, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 12:38 PM by DLJ.)
Quote:About 5 or 6 months ago I realized I was an atheist and what I was taught were lies. I am now learning about actual science. Evolution is actually really awesome. It's way more mind blowing than "God did it." I have actual answers to my questions now. I have realized there is no war on Christianity. The earth is not 6,000 years old. A scientific theory is not a guess. The Bible is anything but infallible.

So while I spent 30 years believing your lies, thank you, Ken Ham for making me realize how BS Christianity really is.

I am glad you found your way out! Try not to bash yourself for taking 30 years to work it out, some never get out!

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 2 users Like JONES's post
11-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I was an atheist once, then when I found out how perfect life was. I began believing in God.
12-04-2017, 07:36 AM
(11-04-2017 08:07 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I was an atheist once, then when I found out how perfect life was. I began believing in God.

Abandoning all attempts at conscious thought will do that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-04-2017, 07:41 AM
(11-04-2017 08:07 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I was an atheist once, then when I found out how perfect life was. I began believing in God.

Ironically, it wasn't until god showed up on the jobsite that I declared for atheism. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-04-2017, 01:05 PM

You have a very dumb definition of "perfect".
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post