Share your de-conversion story

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.56 Average
20-09-2014, 12:12 AM
RE: Share your de-conversion story
This post will be interesting for those who like a different perspective. Most of the members here appear to me to have been raised Christian. So here is a perspective from someone who was raised Hindu and has become an atheist. I hope you will find it interesting. I wrote up my story as an article that I posted on my own blog, and am sharing the web address with you. I look forward to your reactions. Although this is a "de-conversion" story of a Hindu, I think you will find a lot of stuff in the article that is fairly universal.

http://www.leftbrainwave.com/2014/09/why...-from.html

Best regards,

Kumar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nayakan's post
21-09-2014, 06:45 AM
I enjoyed your article, quite an eye opener about how ingrained and deeply superstitious that area of the world is. It's quite a feat to rationalize yourself out of superstition in such an environment. Thumbsup

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
30-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Some of you may have noticed I'm new to the site as of the last month or so but I've rarely been available to contribute to discussions aside from a couple. I've been wanting to share my path to atheism and while mine isn't really a de-conversion story I hope there's some value added by sharing it.

I was born in Columbus, Ohio but was moved to Oklahoma at the age of 5 yrs old along with my 8 yr old sister, my mother, and her soon to be husband (my soon to be step father). It was his idea that we move to Oklahoma as this was where he was from and of course his family resides in Oklahoma. At first things were great! We settled into a very modest south side home off S. May. It was there my step dad taught me some guitar chords for the first time, OU football on Saturdays, and that hard work pays off as step dad was a dry waller and roofer. He was quite the practical joker and teaser. Very goofy and funny dude. We had a lot of fun in that house until a couple Mormons knocked on the door. I still remember being irritated that they interrupted what was otherwise a pretty fun evening not to mention the fact that I thought they seemed like brainwashed weirdos wasting our time with their product despite not being sure of what they were selling. They came in our living room preforming petty magic tricks with ropes and knots. I still remember looking for the knot that seemingly disappeared in the floor after they left.

From that day forward we began going to church and learning about the Mormon religion. I did not realize this change had anything to do with our weirdo visitors. Our home life changed from happy goofy fun stuff to strict rules. No elbows on the table when eating dinner. Restricted TV. Bed time was after dinner was over. Etc. For me I had to try and force myself to sleep despite feeling like I was missing out on laughter, love, playing, life, etc. At the age of 5 I already had the taste of an atheistic type life despite not really understanding what was making it so difficult for me. After about 6 months of this new way of life my mother wanted out and so did my sis and I. We didn't have to communicate this verbally. The home was miserable. It was just days after a huge fight occurred that my mother left him and we moved into a run down apartment complex. Soon after my sister moved back to Ohio to be taken care of by my grand parents while my mother and I stayed in Oklahoma.

My mother met a kids mom I had met in the apartments we were living in. She was a Baptist. Struggling to pay the bills they decided to shack up which I thought was awesome considering my friend and I seemed to really get along. Soon after I realized my friends mom was religious and church was to be attended regularly on Wed/Sun. My mother worked nights so Wed night church was non-negotiable. By now I was about 6 or 7 yrs old and was beginning to become defiant. When we would attend church my friends mom would trust us to walk to little kids church up the hall and report to the youth pastor. I was a BAD influence. I would convince my friend and his little sister to skip youth church with me and instead hang out in a room I discovered that was a storage room. After all they could either go to Church or hang out with me... I wasn't going to any Church service. From that room we board out a small hole with a pencil we found that overlooked the big church congregation. While keeping an eye on the service we shared ghost stories, philosophized, and whatever else kept us entertained. After quite a while we eventually got busted and was walked to little kids church everytime. I rejected it all. I hated everything they taught and honestly felt surrounded by a cult. I did my best to pretend but was close to really freaking out when I learned my mother had decided to build a home in Moore and that within the next few months we were moving.

It wasn't long after we moved to Moore that I met another friend that I began hanging out with. Once again I didn't realize that his parents were really religious except this time I wasn't forced to attend church so I didn't mind attending with him on Sunday mornings if it meant I could stay the night on Saturday night. As it turned out I attended a Catholic church for the first time with my friend and his family and a couple of times after that. I was 12 yrs old. Having attended Mormon and Baptist churches already, Catholic church was really different but still the same rhetoric and brainwashing activities in my opinion. By now at 12 yrs old I was convinced by my experiences with the other church communities and now this church community that the whole thing was about control. I never believed in any of the ridiculous stories before and now I was convinced they were stories intended to instill fear for control.

Needless to say unfortunately my friendships with the two kids I mentioned in my story have long since dissipated. Despite a natural bond that seemed to be magical other powers were at play and I was labeled a bad influence because of my disinterest in God. So while I was never indoctrinated, I was alienated as a result. I spent most of my life feeling like an oddball and a bad influence because most everyone I met in Oklahoma was religious. Despite the pressure I felt to have friends I always felt it most necessary to find people that were like me vs lying about my who I am in order to be well liked or fit in. I didn't think discussing religion was necessary to be great friends. I was a naturalist and was more interested in a naturalistic bond than what they believed. Of course if asked my beliefs I never shied away from the truth. Finding people like me was challenging but being resourceful and social was one of my strengths so by the time I was 16 I found plenty of friends and places I felt comfortable to share my stories.

In closing the recent shift from theism to atheism over the last decade or so has been amazing and somewhat liberating for me. I've always loved people and I've always seen everyone as a mom, dad, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, grandma, and grandpa to someone. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and genuinely hurt for others. Unfortunately I've learned that when dogmas are not standing between us love and compassion flows freely. While I've made moral mistakes I don't believe it was the result of a lack of faith or control. I believe everyone fights their primal instincts and sometimes we are not able to win that fight but brainwashing to control people and their behaviors is not the most logical way out of this paradox. I believe as we continue to evolve as a species we will continue to use logic in place of emotion. Over centuries we will learn to love more than we hate but it's a process that takes a long time. Brainwashing is not needed any longer if it ever truly was.
[+] 2 users Like dirtstar's post
19-10-2014, 05:37 AM
i was an atheist since 7th grade and have witnessed countless number of events that cant be wrote in a single post. I am from a orthodox typical Indian Hindu family
My family prays to several gods, actually 100's of gods. They dont question about god and his miracles, but i did.

THE BEST incident i experienced recently
-> Dad went to a holy place to pray for his job
-> He felt restless & tired day after returning
-> Within 2 days his heart was diagnosed with 75% failure
-> Operation, Treatment, had to leave job

I said to them
"Saw ? your almighty, peace loving and caring god blessed you with a severe heart condition"
Their reply was "God helped us diagnose the disease when it spread 75%, we should thank god he alarmed us before it reached 100%"

I was stunned by stupidity.
BTW my Dad has touched alcohol 2 times in his life & he's a 58 year old man
I didnt feel surprised at his heart condition due to seeing his eating habits & me being in fitness knowing dangers and risk of junk food.
[+] 1 user Likes The Aesthetic Athiest's post
Today, 04:41 AM

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!