Sharia in action

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Sharia in action
So I went to my best friend's little sister's wedding. She's pretty much my little sister too. They're a sort of faux lapse Christian Irish family. She married a Muslim from the UAE.

So the Imam they were going to use wound up in hospital at the last minute, so he recommended another Imam. We found out that he was very conservative and would not perform the ceremony (and might actually bail) if he saw any alcohol or tobacco. So everyone obliged (which is hard when half the people are Irish: haiyo!) and after a delay, this robed conservative looking Imam with a long moustacheless grey beard and a head covering ambled onto the site. They had to do a ton of paperwork (Quebec law stuff) and then it began.

So all of a sudden, her brothers come out and set up a table with four chairs at the front of the aisle. So the procession I'm used to comes out and the bride and groom sit with the Imam along with her witness and they were flanked by the brothers, brides maids and the best man.

So they kicked it off with the best man and the brides best friend telling some stories about them (some of which were deliciously embarrassing). Then the Imam took over.

He very carefully outlined what was going to happen, what had to be signed, what the dowry was going to be, how things had to be said (everything had to be in the past tense), and explained what the Arabic passages from the Holy Book, the Qur'an meant and what Almighty Allah and the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, had to do with everything.

He was very conservative in his views and very heavy on the Allah the creator and Allah is responsible for all of this front. He also pointed out that the whole ceremony was a part of Islamic Sharia law.

And let me tell you, it was an absolutely beautiful ceremony and this cantankerous looking Imam, the spitting image of every Imam the media has demonised for a decade, had us in fucking stitches. For real, he was a bloody stand up comedian.

And best of all, no one launched a terrorist attack!

It was a stark reminder to me that Muslims are humans with a rich cultural tradition and not the hell-bent on carnage zealots they're portrayed as. I consider myself very open minded and was shocked to be shown how many of the prejudices that are pedaled by media snake oil salesmen had taken root in my mind.

The Sharia description of marriage and love and commitment was beautiful, insightful and wise.

I was thoroughly impressed and quite moved.

There's all kind of problems with religion, but I'm officially sick and tired of critics of it treating and speaking of the people involved like they're dangerous simpletons that are less than human.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
24-07-2011, 09:44 AM
RE: Sharia in action
Peaceful traditions aren't whats being opposed, its the parts of sharia law that demand violence towards none muslims and those who practice that part of the law that I have a problem with.
I realize the media dehumanizes them quite drastically, I know muslims at my school, I'm not that close to them but we're friends, and I'll admit I even agree with them from time to time. Fact is, you don't see mobs of moderates rallying to show their disgust at extremists, and that needs to change.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
24-07-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18911_5-r...islam.html

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
24-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Efrx, I don't see how that article is relevant. I hope you aren't saying there are no muslims who think non-muslims should be tortured and killed.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

24-07-2011, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2011 11:56 AM by Efrx86.)
(24-07-2011 11:37 AM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  Efrx, I don't see how that article is relevant. I hope you aren't saying there are no muslims who think non-muslims should be tortured and killed.
It's not a reply to your post, but an addition to what Ghost said.

Of course there are muslims who think non-muslims should die. I don't see how I (or the article I linked to) imply that there aren't.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
24-07-2011, 12:22 PM
It didn't, thats why I asked. Seemed like a "oh you're one of those people" reply.