Sharing VS Bragging.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Sharing VS Bragging.
In your opinion, what is the difference between sharing about something or bragging about something? Would you say bragging is a sign of self conceit or maybe insecurity, or something else?
Know anyone personally that you can provide an example of bragging?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 12:50 AM
RE: Sharing VS Bragging.
(09-03-2013 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In your opinion, what is the difference between sharing about something or bragging about something? Would you say bragging is a sign of self conceit or maybe insecurity, or something else?

Bragging is almost always a sign of insecurity in my experience.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Bragging doesn't always mean someone is being conceited. Sometimes they are genuinely proud of themselves and they want to share it with others.

There are plenty of times, though, that someone brags for the sole purpose of asserting their social standing to others that they don't feel are on the same level as them.

I think it differs among each individual Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post
10-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Sharing = divesting information or material so it can be utilized by another person in a similar manner.

Bragging = waving something in someone's face which they are unable to utilize. The purpose is only to heighten the culprits self-esteem.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
10-03-2013, 01:56 AM
(10-03-2013 01:43 AM)Peanut Wrote:  Bragging doesn't always mean someone is being conceited. Sometimes they are genuinely proud of themselves and they want to share it with others.

There are plenty of times, though, that someone brags for the sole purpose of asserting their social standing to others that they don't feel are on the same level as them.

I think it differs among each individual Drinking Beverage

^^^ That.

We have the ... What I did today / learned today / why was today a good day ... kinda threads and I'd say that bragging is quite rare in those.

Fine line between sharing and bragging, I guess.

I never brag. I'm much too awesome to do that!

Yes

10-03-2013, 01:58 AM
(10-03-2013 12:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...

I didn't realise you were feeling insecure about your experience.

Care to share?

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2013, 01:59 AM
(10-03-2013 01:43 AM)Peanut Wrote:  Bragging doesn't always mean someone is being conceited.

Nope, but it's almost always associated with insecurity in my experience.

10-03-2013, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 02:38 AM by GirlyMan.)
(10-03-2013 01:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...

I didn't realise you were feeling insecure about your experience.

Care to share?

Hug

Insecure, I can't even understand what that means. ... Unsecured, now that I understand.

10-03-2013, 05:51 AM
(09-03-2013 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Would you say bragging is a sign of self conceit
This. And/Or the fact that some people seem incapable of grasping the fact that the rest of the world doesn't share their infinite interest in every little detail about them and their lives.

Of course, I could never understand oversharers, either, but I guess some folk just subsist on the attention of others. It's pretty much like any other addiction, really.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-03-2013, 09:15 AM
(09-03-2013 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In your opinion, what is the difference between sharing about something or bragging about something? Would you say bragging is a sign of self conceit or maybe insecurity, or something else?
I know a lot of braggarts but I don't know of any specific examples I can share because whatever it is a braggart goes on about is usually not worth storing in one's memory hole. Bragging is definitely insecurity on display but all to often, sharing is confused with bragging... usually by a fellow braggart.

Bragging, in and of itself isn't a bad thing though. We need confirmation from others when we do something good and the only way to get that confirmation, most of the time, is to share it or, brag. It becomes and issue when the thing bragged about is purported to be better than yours or, theirs, etc.

Recently, I caught a post on this forum that I thought of as bragging. The title was something like "Look what I did today" and in it, the author was sharing a fish tank stand he had built. It was a rather simple design and being that I'm a pretty good carpenter, my first thought was wow, he's bragging about something that simple to build? Ah but... that was my own inner self being a braggart. The reality was (I'm speculating) that he finished his project and was proud of it so he wanted to share. I'm sure he was fishing for compliments which is a perfectly valid & human thing to do, but also, he was interested in sharing his idea with others who might be in need of a fish tank stand themselves. So by showing his to others, he was saying "Hey, I did this and you can too". If I remember correctly, he offered up a material list just for that purpose.

I shared that experience to illustrate that bragging is often in the eye of the beholder. We're all subject to that perception, especially when the thing being talked about is a thing of interest to ourselves. So yeah, bragging sucks but not being able to discern the difference between bragging and sharing information can be a much more egregious "sin". Not to mention... embarrassing. Blush

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post