Sharing VS Bragging.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: Sharing VS Bragging.
[Image: penelope.jpg]

Penelope comes to mind when I think of a bragger. I think she is the funniest character so I shared a picture of her. I'm sure nobody else on here can find a funnier one, so... Wink

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
(10-03-2013 09:15 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In your opinion, what is the difference between sharing about something or bragging about something? Would you say bragging is a sign of self conceit or maybe insecurity, or something else?
Know anyone personally that you can provide an example of bragging?
I know a lot of braggarts but I don't know of any specific examples I can share because whatever it is a braggart goes on about is usually not worth storing in one's memory hole. Bragging is definitely insecurity on display but all to often, sharing is confused with bragging... usually by a fellow braggart.

Bragging, in and of itself isn't a bad thing though. We need confirmation from others when we do something good and the only way to get that confirmation, most of the time, is to share it or, brag. It becomes and issue when the thing bragged about is purported to be better than yours or, theirs, etc.

Recently, I caught a post on this forum that I thought of as bragging. The title was something like "Look what I did today" and in it, the author was sharing a fish tank stand he had built. It was a rather simple design and being that I'm a pretty good carpenter, my first thought was wow, he's bragging about something that simple to build? Ah but... that was my own inner self being a braggart. The reality was (I'm speculating) that he finished his project and was proud of it so he wanted to share. I'm sure he was fishing for compliments which is a perfectly valid & human thing to do, but also, he was interested in sharing his idea with others who might be in need of a fish tank stand themselves. So by showing his to others, he was saying "Hey, I did this and you can too". If I remember correctly, he offered up a material list just for that purpose.

I shared that experience to illustrate that bragging is often in the eye of the beholder. We're all subject to that perception, especially when the thing being talked about is a thing of interest to ourselves. So yeah, bragging sucks but not being able to discern the difference between bragging and sharing information can be a much more egregious "sin". Not to mention... embarrassing. Blush
Yeah sometimes when we see someone as "bragging" its just them being really excited about something they've accomplished.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM
(10-03-2013 11:10 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 09:15 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I know a lot of braggarts but I don't know of any specific examples I can share because whatever it is a braggart goes on about is usually not worth storing in one's memory hole. Bragging is definitely insecurity on display but all to often, sharing is confused with bragging... usually by a fellow braggart.

Bragging, in and of itself isn't a bad thing though. We need confirmation from others when we do something good and the only way to get that confirmation, most of the time, is to share it or, brag. It becomes and issue when the thing bragged about is purported to be better than yours or, theirs, etc.

Recently, I caught a post on this forum that I thought of as bragging. The title was something like "Look what I did today" and in it, the author was sharing a fish tank stand he had built. It was a rather simple design and being that I'm a pretty good carpenter, my first thought was wow, he's bragging about something that simple to build? Ah but... that was my own inner self being a braggart. The reality was (I'm speculating) that he finished his project and was proud of it so he wanted to share. I'm sure he was fishing for compliments which is a perfectly valid & human thing to do, but also, he was interested in sharing his idea with others who might be in need of a fish tank stand themselves. So by showing his to others, he was saying "Hey, I did this and you can too". If I remember correctly, he offered up a material list just for that purpose.

I shared that experience to illustrate that bragging is often in the eye of the beholder. We're all subject to that perception, especially when the thing being talked about is a thing of interest to ourselves. So yeah, bragging sucks but not being able to discern the difference between bragging and sharing information can be a much more egregious "sin". Not to mention... embarrassing. Blush
Yeah sometimes when we see someone as "bragging" its just them being really excited about something they've accomplished.
You so proud of your comment that you had to double post it?

Braggart! Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 01:32 PM by TrulyX.)
(10-03-2013 09:15 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Bragging, though. We need confirmation from others when we do something good and the only way to get that confirmation, most of the time, is to share it or, brag. It becomes and issue when the thing bragged about is purported to be better than yours or, theirs, etc.

Humility is always an option. I don't know what you were trying to imply by "in and of itself isn't a bad thing". I kind of agree, in a sense, but bragging, or being boastful, is definitely a vice. There is a difference between seeking affirmation, or attention, from others just naturally, as would be expected from human beings, versus going to the extent of being boastful, which is the distinction, I assume the OP was looking for.

The distinction (the line crossed) between simply sharing information and bragging, would be at the point when the person is actively seeking attention and recognition, with a sense of entitlement, as if they deserve to be recognized and admired, either in general or for a specific attribute or action.

The times I see bragging as okay is when bragging isn't the primary intention, kind of done in a more ironic fashion, or I guess in like Hip Hop culture, where the bragging is more an art and/or sport, used as character or device, as opposed to reflecting something real.

Examples for the latter, at least.

bragging

bragging

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
(10-03-2013 11:37 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 09:15 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Bragging, though. We need confirmation from others when we do something good and the only way to get that confirmation, most of the time, is to share it or, brag. It becomes and issue when the thing bragged about is purported to be better than yours or, theirs, etc.

Humility is always an opinion. I don't know what you were trying to imply by "in and of itself isn't a bad thing". I kind of agree, in a sense, but bragging, or being boastful, is definitely a vice. There is a difference between seeking affirmation, or attention, from others just naturally, as would be expected from human beings, versus going to the extent of being boastful, which is the distinction, I assume the OP was looking for.

The distinction (the line crossed) between simply sharing information and bragging, would be at the point when the person is actively seeking attention and recognition, with a sense of entitlement, as if they deserve to be recognized and admired, either in general or for a specific attribute or action.

The times I see bragging as okay is when bragging isn't the primary intention, kind of done in a more ironic fashion, or I guess in like Hip Hop culture, where the bragging is more an art and/or sport, used as character or device, as opposed to reflecting something real.

Examples for the latter, at least.

bragging

bragging
So humility is subjective but bragging is objective?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
10-03-2013, 11:59 AM
(10-03-2013 11:37 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 11:10 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yeah sometimes when we see someone as "bragging" its just them being really excited about something they've accomplished.
You so proud of your comment that you had to double post it?

Braggart! Tongue
Well when I do something I do it with flair. What can I say *facepalm*

Sorry about the double post. Don't know how that happened lol
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
"Don't know how that happened"

God done it.

10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
(10-03-2013 12:01 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "Don't know how that happened"

God done it.
Well that's the obvious conclusion bbeljefe. He's on my side and all that jazz.
10-03-2013, 12:04 PM
(10-03-2013 12:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:01 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "Don't know how that happened"

God done it.
Well that's the obvious conclusion bbeljefe. He's on my side and all that jazz.

fixt.

No gods were involved. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
(10-03-2013 12:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Well that's the obvious conclusion bbeljefe. He's on my side and all that jazz.

fixt.

No gods were involved. Drinking Beverage
Except for you Chas. Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post