• 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
RE: Sharing VS Bragging.
(10-03-2013 12:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  fixt.

No gods were involved. Drinking Beverage
Except for you Chas. Bowing

[Image: smiley-vault-signs-131.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-03-2013, 12:20 PM
(10-03-2013 12:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Except for you Chas. Bowing

[Image: smiley-vault-signs-131.gif]
Oh yeah.... just pop right in and make a post disappear and then claim no gods were involved. Who do you think gave you the POWER to remove that post, Mr. Smartypants?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
10-03-2013, 12:31 PM
(10-03-2013 12:20 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: smiley-vault-signs-131.gif]
Oh yeah.... just pop right in and make a post disappear and then claim no gods were involved. Who do you think gave you the POWER to remove that post, Mr. Smartypants?

Tim Berners-Lee [Image: smiley-vault-signs-009.gif]

10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Don't know... personally, I love to turn people on to stuff that turns me on. I like to introduce friends to a new food or new kind of music or musician or artist they might not have heard or seen before. It feels good to spread the positivity around.

I don't necessarily want to get some immediate self satisfaction for having introduced someone to something, although I do want friends to enjoy an experience I've planned. I don't want some kind of credit rather, I want to be able to continue to enjoy a shared experience with them in the future. If I help someone enjoy an artist's work they might never have heard of, maybe one day, they'll "discover" another artist on their own and share it with me - I enjoy new discoveries.

Hmm... I don't have children and I'm not a teacher but it's possible that I might get that similar kind of satisfaction from watching people grow and develop themselves. I suppose, if I know I might have contributed to that growth... I think I will allow that conceit but it's more a fanciful notion that I've made a positive contribution of one tiny experience in the billions of moments which will make up that person's life.

Yea, getting my jollies probably isn't the experience of the average rock star. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
(10-03-2013 12:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:20 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Oh yeah.... just pop right in and make a post disappear and then claim no gods were involved. Who do you think gave you the POWER to remove that post, Mr. Smartypants?

Tim Berners-Lee [Image: smiley-vault-signs-009.gif]
See there. It was a god.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
10-03-2013, 01:39 PM
(10-03-2013 11:40 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  So humility is subjective but bragging is objective?

I didn't know what you were referring to for a minute.

If you were referring to where I put 'opinion', I meant option. I must have not been playing close attention when I was writing it.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
14-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to see if there was some actual clarity in the creation of a bragging person, or some tell tale signs or whatever. It appears opinions of what makes a bragger vary. Where is Shannow when I need him? (For those of you after Shannow's time at TTA, he was great for helping to visualize forum data in pictures and video, really neat stuff if you search his visualization threads).

Anyway. The day I posted this I logged onto FB and came across some status updates of two people in my life who lean on the bragging side of things. One of them had a birthday. There were no less than 20 posts over the weekend about all the things, messages and treats she was getting. At first I felt "oh, good for you", but as they kept filling up the news feed I got annoyed. The funny part is that her birthday wasn't even until yesterday and the thank yous started all over again- a few days after all this 'stuff'. In the same feed, I saw another gloating post about one item a FB friend got. This person occasionally posts things they've received, though not often, I always get the 'look at me' vibe vs just simply celebrating their happiness or sharing something exciting. So it caused me to wonder where exactly that line is crossed.

Two people can share the exact same news (whether an idea, an item they have, something that's happened-whatever) and I can feel happiness from one and vain or validating(insecure) attention seeking from another. I suppose it can be either narcism or lack of self esteem- either way it seems to be a need for attention.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-03-2013, 07:22 PM
(10-03-2013 12:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  fixt.

No gods were involved. Drinking Beverage
Except for you Chas. Bowing
That's how it starts... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-03-2013, 07:37 PM
(14-03-2013 07:22 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:07 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Except for you Chas. Bowing
That's how it starts... Dodgy

It's OK. I resisted giving her the stone tablets or cursing any fig trees. And no pigs were harmed. Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-03-2013, 11:48 PM
(14-03-2013 07:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-03-2013 07:22 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's how it starts... Dodgy

It's OK. I resisted giving her the stone tablets or cursing any fig trees. And no pigs were harmed. Dodgy
No burning anyone's bushes, either! Wink

Can you hear that? Can you hear it?
(It's the naughty chair getting closer and closer to you.....shhhhhh, it's hunting Chas's)

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)