Sharing some garden pics!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: Sharing some garden pics!
(21-07-2017 05:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'll post some of mine. They're all haphazard plantings because I don't know what I'm doing. Lost my beautiful luscious cucumber plants to 2 little tiny yellow/brown looking beetle bugs. I was like "awww... you're so cute, there's plenty of cucumber leaf for the likes of you and me both." Fuckers infected them with some sorta lethal bacterial venom. When I saw them again, I ate them. I made the other one watch while I ate the first one.

When do I harvest my carrots? Just keep looking at the tops just under the surface and dig 'em up when they look big enough to eat?

You have to thin them anyway, unless they are perfectly spaced. The tiny ones taste great, too. The carrot ends will pop up to the surface...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Bee-eautiful!

I can't seem to keep any plant alive that I'm not ultimately going to kill to eat.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
21-07-2017, 06:01 PM
(21-07-2017 05:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 05:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'll post some of mine. They're all haphazard plantings because I don't know what I'm doing. Lost my beautiful luscious cucumber plants to 2 little tiny yellow/brown looking beetle bugs. I was like "awww... you're so cute, there's plenty of cucumber leaf for the likes of you and me both." Fuckers infected them with some sorta lethal bacterial venom. When I saw them again, I ate them. I made the other one watch while I ate the first one.

When do I harvest my carrots? Just keep looking at the tops just under the surface and dig 'em up when they look big enough to eat?

You have to thin them anyway, unless they are perfectly spaced. The tiny ones taste great, too. The carrot ends will pop up to the surface...

I wasn't thinning them. Figured I'd let them fight it out amongst themselves and see if any coalesced into mutant group sex orgy carrots.

Lemme go take some pics. Or rather, lemme get ManlyGirl to go take some pics, I don't even have a phone,let alone a cameraphone.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-07-2017, 06:04 PM
(21-07-2017 05:57 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Bee-eautiful!

I can't seem to keep any plant alive that I'm not ultimately going to kill to eat.

I can understand and appreciate that. Thumbsup

I think I can eat most flowers, though.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2017, 06:05 PM
If you haven't already thinned the carrots they WILL turn into mutant sex orgy carrots. They kinda merge and make themselves impossible to peel to eat.

Are you just growing orange carrots or the rainbow kind too?

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
21-07-2017, 06:10 PM
(21-07-2017 05:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have lots of different pollinating insects there, I don't know the half of them.

I bet that makes them feel really snubbed, compared to the other half, with which you're bosom buddies, I take it? Tongue

I once wrote a haiku (that came out wrong, I've written more than one) when I saw a bee obstinately flying among the branches of the cherry-tree outside my window.. even though the tree wasn't in bloom yet. Poor, impatient bee.

I love bees, really wanted my grandparents (they raised animals) to get bees as well. I also had this Russian/Soviet book, Дневник Коли Синицына, The Diary of Kolya Sinitsin, about this kid who decided to start raising bees and I loved it

[Image: bee-smiley.gif]

I've posted this before, but I love it so (the whole series *and* the lovely Dr. Ian Stewart. *And* his cute accent Blush )

ETA: "mutant sex orgy carrots" Laughat

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
21-07-2017, 06:16 PM
(21-07-2017 06:05 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  If you haven't already thinned the carrots they WILL turn into mutant sex orgy carrots. They kinda merge and make themselves impossible to peel to eat.

Are you just growing orange carrots or the rainbow kind too?

I'm just growing the rainbow ones.

My first time food gardening at all (other than one particular enchanting species of fungi). Started out all gung ho thinking Ima gonna organic grow me some rare exotic heirlooms using my abundant supply of dog poop as fertilizer 'cause I'm an even bigger hippie than super double-secret ProjectShadow. (I stopped wearing a bra in the 70's.) Rookie mistake. Think I should've started with genetically-engineered seed and Sevin.

21-07-2017, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2017 06:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-07-2017 06:05 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  If you haven't already thinned the carrots they WILL turn into mutant sex orgy carrots. They kinda merge and make themselves impossible to peel to eat.

I wasn't gonna peel them, a pot of boiling water, maybe a little Leonard Cohen softly pining for the loss of God in the background, and throw them in to listen to them scream.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Girly, I tried eating rose petals as a kid. BLERGH!

But. Did you know that a Bulgarian valley is the largest producer of rose oil in the world?
[Image: damaszener-rose-bulgarisch-rosen%C3%B6l.jpg]

[Image: 76d76b17ecab4fc4bfb376cbf99460b4--rose-p...se-oil.jpg]

[Image: Rosa-damascena2.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
21-07-2017, 06:25 PM
I used to use sevin dust but then a new neighbor saw the can on my porch and educated me that it kills the bees. And they had hives. Until recently when the town's new ordinances banned bee hives. Because they are idiots.

(quick side-track) I refused to wear a bra most of the time in the 70s. One it was rebellion, two uncomfortable, three pretty much flat chested anyway. Typical conversation with my mother in those years when I tried to go out:

Put on a bra.
If you didn't have feet would you wear shoes?
You have feet.
I have on shoes.

It was kind of a ritual with us. Good times.

Now 40+ years later and about 50 pounds heavier I have things that resemble tube socks filled with wet sand. I wonder if I had supported them when they were younger if they would be perkier now.