Sharing some garden pics!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: Sharing some garden pics!
GirlyMan your carrots look better than my rainbow carrots of last year. But what---no red or purple yet? Our red ones were the best of the rainbows.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2017, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2017 08:27 PM by ShadowProject.)
So beautiful, Dom! I have neighbors all around me, so I am envious of your view beyond your garden.

Those carrots look good, maybe a little small, but still edible Smile

I have also overwintered carrots, they eventually stop growing so they are just sitting in the soil which sort of preserves them. I tend to roast those carrots.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
21-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Well, most people consider me fairly sane until they see this:

[Image: snag.jpg]

I keep the snag because of it's many inhabitants. There is the last of the peahens (before you ask, it's a female peacock) sleeping up there. They hop way up there and have a total view all around. Since they can only sail down, they can escape a climbing predator (like Girly's raccoons) by letting them get close and then sailing off into the distance. There is also a family of acorn woodpeckers who live there and make me laugh, they are clown like. Plus birds of all descriptions land there, one raven likes to sit way up top and meow. Yep, he meows, must have heard it often when young and they do imitate. Held me for a fool at first, I kept looking for a cat stuck on the snag... Just about every bird coming from afar lands there first to scope things out, and during migration times it is sometimes completely covered with birds.

So I leave the snag up until it falls on it's own. It's entertaining to watch.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Dead trees are a really important part of an ecosystem. No judgement here.
We have a dying tree in our yard that is home to woodpeckers. Although I think some house sparrows knocked them out of their hole Sad

And I actually know what a peahen is! lol My daughter did a report on peacocks because she loves them so much. Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
21-07-2017, 08:36 PM
(21-07-2017 08:31 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Dead trees are a really important part of an ecosystem. No judgement here.
We have a dying tree in our yard that is home to woodpeckers. Although I think some house sparrows knocked them out of their hole Sad

And I actually know what a peahen is! lol My daughter did a report on peacocks because she loves them so much. Smile

Peafowl eats lots of bugs. A survivor of Lyme disease, I especially value that they eat lots of ticks. But they also keep the garden free of pests, mine is totally organic, both the veggie and the flower garden.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-07-2017, 08:37 PM
(21-07-2017 07:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 07:30 PM)Vera Wrote:  Drago is the short from/nickname of my grandfather (complete name is Dragan). The word "drag/a" means "dear", "beloved". My sister is named after him (her name is Dragomira), but is not a fan of the nickname Draga...

And now this thread truly is a garden with a little bit of everything - flowers and vegetables, and bees, and innuendos and a touch of linguistics. Yes

Drago was born and partially trained in East Germany, from an old East German police canine strain, picked for service and sold to a US police dept. Drago is the name he was given at birth.

Drago.

#sigh
21-07-2017, 08:42 PM
(21-07-2017 08:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 07:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Drago was born and partially trained in East Germany, from an old East German police canine strain, picked for service and sold to a US police dept. Drago is the name he was given at birth.

Drago.

Yep, he would if he sensed you as a threat....and I fully trust his judgement. Unfortunately his service injury is starting to catch up with him - he is 9 1/2 now and slowly but surely going lame. It's not painful to him. Painful for me to watch though because I know what I will have to do soon....

21-07-2017, 08:43 PM
(21-07-2017 08:02 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  GirlyMan your carrots look better than my rainbow carrots of last year. But what---no red or purple yet? Our red ones were the best of the rainbows.

Those are the first I've harvested. Is that the size I can expect? I mean they're more delicious than any carrot I've ever eaten (I realize the bulk of that is due to the "LOOK! I, HAVE MADE FIRE!" phenomena but that doesn't make them any less delicious. Smile ) but is that harvest size?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2017, 08:46 PM
(21-07-2017 08:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 08:02 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  GirlyMan your carrots look better than my rainbow carrots of last year. But what---no red or purple yet? Our red ones were the best of the rainbows.

Those are the first I've harvested. Is that the size I can expect? I mean they're more delicious than any carrot I've ever eaten (I realize the bulk of that is due to the "LOOK! I, HAVE MADE FIRE!" phenomena but that doesn't make them any less delicious. Smile ) but is that harvest size?

Depends on how well you prepared the soil. They don't like to work, they want you to work the soil. I would eat them and replant - and work the soil well.

21-07-2017, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2017 09:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-07-2017 08:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yep, he would if he sensed you as a threat....

No no, dude's name was Drago. From the Rocky movies. Dogs don't smell me as a threat. Don't matter if they're trained killers or not. I'm not a threat. They don''t smell me as a threat. I've always been an innocuous, sometimes annoying but never threatening, big old doofy member of the pack who they can't understand why gets preferential treatment from the Alpha Bitch. ManlyGirl may be the dog whisperer, but me and dogs, we can smell each other. Somewhere, deep down in that olfactory link to their reptilian limbic system, they know that I am willing to lose an arm disemboweling them from the inside out. They don't smell that as threat, they understand it instinctively... wait, I got pics around here somewhere.

Ha, there it is. I got eau de canine whafting outta my pores after 30 years as a canine Jane Goodall. Dogs don't scare me because I don't scare dogs.

[Image: eoHzDKS.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post