Shark Attack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Shark Attack
Some of you may already know that I spend a lot of time underwater. One of the things I do is remove invasive Lionfish from local waters. This short video from a guy doing the same thing reminds me that there are things I do that are more dangerous than meeting with KC for a beer! Shocking

This happened on the same reefs I was diving a few days after I left the island.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
20-03-2014, 09:03 PM
RE: Shark Attack
Jesus dude. Looked like that guy took fencing lessons! I woulda shit myself... Gasp

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
20-03-2014, 09:10 PM
(20-03-2014 09:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Jesus dude. Looked like that guy took fencing lessons! I woulda shit myself... Gasp

I gotta tell you that I never expected to see the shark continue the attack after the diver dropped the container of fish. I'm off to collect Lionfish in the Bahamas in a few months and there they have lots of sharks! I putting on Depends under my wetsuit as a precaution to Premature Evacuation.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Looked like that guy was diving alone. Isn't that a bad idea?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-03-2014, 09:19 PM
(20-03-2014 09:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Looked like that guy was diving alone. Isn't that a bad idea?

Yes. So much can go wrong out there. He's diving deep at 70 feet, an equipment malfunction means he has to shoot for the surface and risk getting bent. Had that shark bitten him no one was there to help him back to the boat and get help, an all around bad decision making process to be spearing deep by yourself. And if you look closely at the beginning of his vid you can SEE the shark was there. Facepalm

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
20-03-2014, 09:21 PM
You encounter sharks very often?

~ Umberto Eco
20-03-2014, 09:23 PM
ooooooooo......
20-03-2014, 09:31 PM
(20-03-2014 09:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Looked like that guy was diving alone. Isn't that a bad idea?

That's the first thing I noticed too. I am not a diver myself but my father was and he was also the president for a few years of one of the largest dive clubs here in Erie, the Blue Dolphins. Combine that with Lake Erie and my dad's boat, and I've spent a bit of time around divers and learned a few things (diving in pairs, the bends, zebra muscles in the great lakes, etc.).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-03-2014, 10:11 PM
(20-03-2014 09:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You encounter sharks very often?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, the thread got lost.

Not often, their numbers have been greatly reduced. Here in the Keys we see Nurse sharks regularly. I think I can nearly recount every shark encounter here, two Caribbean reef sharks, three Hammerheads, half a dozen Bull sharks...that's it, in countless dives.

The Pacific is another story, those bastards can be very numerous in certain areas.

27-03-2014, 09:43 AM
(20-03-2014 09:19 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Yes. So much can go wrong out there. He's diving deep at 70 feet, an equipment malfunction means he has to shoot for the surface and risk getting bent. Had that shark bitten him no one was there to help him back to the boat and get help, an all around bad decision making process to be spearing deep by yourself. And if you look closely at the beginning of his vid you can SEE the shark was there. Facepalm

Yeah, that is one dim-witted diver. I'm having trouble coming up with anything he did right. Consider

Note: I'm a NAUI-certified diver.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user