Shawn From Tennessee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Shawn From Tennessee
Hi folks! It is great to see a forum where atheist and freethinkers can get together and share.

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist and even went to their schools from 5 to 12th grade. Yes I was taught creation in science class and believed the Universe was created in 6 literal days 6,000 years ago. In high school I became very interested in astronomy and I became known as the expert on astronomy in high school. One day a teacher asked me if the universe is 6,000 years old how come we can see distant galaxies. The teacher thought it was an innocent question that should lead to the answer of magic. It didn't answer, but it did unintentionally plant a seed of critical thinking.

A few years went on and I graduated, moved out on my own and stopped going to church. I was free to be me. There was no sudden moment of realization or a struggle, nor can I remember my exact age. Sometime around 20 or 21 I considered myself an atheist. The distances in the universe proved that it could not have been made 6,000 years ago and I had accepted the evidence of evolution. Also there are many different religions don't you think if there was a god there would be just one? My disbelieve in god was very easy well duh there is no god. At the time I did not read atheist books or the bible. It was simple well duh, no shit there is no god. Look around its obvious. That's as far as I went for 16 years.

For 16 years I considered myself an atheist but told few people even ones from my astronomy club (yes I am a geek) some of who I later found out are atheist. For 16 years I did not know any atheist that I knew of. I didn't think about atheism. I just stayed quiet about religion. I didn't even see the harm of religion. I just felt that religious people were good people who tried to live a moral life who believed in a magic sky wizard. I was puzzled how on earth people could believe in a god. To me it was no shit well duh god does not exist. I reached this conclusion with little thought why doesn't everyone else?

It has only been in the past year that I wanted to find out why people believed in god , so I read Micheal Shermer's book the thinking brain and Carl Sagan's book the demon haunted world. That introduced me to why people believe in what they do. I immersed myself in science I didn't accept anything without evidence, however, I had no clue there was a skeptical movement.

I knew my position on atheism was weak and I could not intellectualize my stance on atheism. I have 5 or 6 SDA pastors in my family and I knew one day I would be confronted and easily made to look like a fool. I couldn't counter pascals wager or the watchmaker. So I read richard dawkins, Dan Barker, Christopher Hitchens and many others. I started to connect with other atheist. Yes 16 years of being an atheist and I am just beginning to realize there is a whole community of us. This is great to know. I have yet to talk to another atheist in person though but I am going to join a local group. I also learned that religion causes serious harm and want to constructively educate others on this as well.

Again it is great to see this group. Also I am curious are there any former Seventh Day Adventist on this forum? It would be great to connect and share deconversion stories.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ngc457's post
17-09-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Shawn From Tennessee
Welcome to the forum Shawn.....I hope you enjoy this place as it really is awesome and I look forward to you adding some knowledge to any astronomy threads that pop up in the future Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Welcome.

You can leave your tribute sacrifice on the table over there.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-09-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 09:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-09-2012 04:29 PM)ngc457 Wrote:  The distances in the universe proved that it could not have been made 6,000 years ago and I had accepted the evidence of evolution.

What ? "God created the light when it was already on it's way". TongueWeeping
Welcome to the nuthouse.

You need an image of yourself, by your name. It does kinda look like an owl.

[Image: ngc457-owl-cluster-small.jpg?w=600]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

18-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
18-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome!

I believe Erxomai was a Seventh Day Adventist as well.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
18-09-2012, 11:57 AM
(18-09-2012 11:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome!

I believe Erxomai was a Seventh Day Adventist as well.

Seventh Day Baptist, actually. I was on the B-team. Shawn was on the A-team.

We are glad to have you here, Shawn, and if you want to commiserate over the trauma caused by the 4th Commandment I'd be happy to share with you. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]