She returns....Miss me? Meow poof poof! lol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2011, 07:04 AM
RE: She returns....Miss me? Meow poof poof! lol
(19-01-2011 06:54 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I am into computers and have owned pretty much every generation of processor (currently using a quad core myself to run photoshop). I'm not a gamer though so I have no use for legacy stuff.

I actually keep the legacy stuff that's a least able to run a Linux OS - I decided to turn my house into a network lab and learn network/servers etc. - when I stop being a lazy ass, obviously.

BTW - are you a graphic designer or something ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2011, 07:06 AM

(19-01-2011 07:04 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  BTW - are you a graphic designer or something ?

No unfortunatly. I'm just an amateur photographer, do weddings on the side occasionally. I'm more obsessed about camera gear. Big Grin I use Photoshop Lightroom mostly, but I need CPU power to convert RAW files.
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2011, 04:24 PM

(18-01-2011 08:15 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  You were still using a Pentium II? Holy crap!
I think it was at least a Pentium 3? Confused It was a Gateway computer (The cow lied. They're crap!)

Quote:This is why I have a PC, and a netbook, and I could also use my wife's laptop if all else fails. Welcome back!
Thank you and you too No J. Smile
20-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Ahhh, computers! Confused So, the cow lied! Gateway sucks. As you all read, my former computers motherboard went the way of the crispy. A buddy loaned me his computer, which had barely any legs, but he rewired someething or other which is why I got online here to post this original message as to what happened to me.
That computer flubbed up and now I'm at the local library on one of their public one's. Next time, if there is one, I'm bringing a wet-nap for this friggin keyboard that kleenex just doesnt have a chance to clean! What the fuck!? Don't people know how to wash their hands? Huh

In any event, long story short,unless I can scrape up $250.00 for a refurbed computer and to reclaim my former burnt out Gateway, I'm going to be off line for awhile. But I wanted to stop in and let you all know what was up on my side of the monitor. I didn't leave, I was banished by the bad computer Gremlin mojo! HAHAHAH! Ohhhhkaaaay, that would be funnier if it wasn't happening to me.SadWinkBig GrinAngel

Be well,
GK
21-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I wish I could fix your computer for you. It makes me sad when people on a budget can't get their computer working (or buy a used one and install an OS) cause in reality it's not hard or expensive to fix (for people trained to do this stuff). I don't know how old your computer is but if it's still running Windows XP or something I would not spend money into fixing it, cause it is not worth anything anymore. $400 will get you a new system that is much faster.

For $200, why not get a cheap netbook? They are kinda slow but ultra portable and great for surfing the WWW.
21-02-2011, 09:45 AM

(21-02-2011 08:34 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I wish I could fix your computer for you. It makes me sad when people on a budget can't get their computer working (or buy a used one and install an OS) cause in reality it's not hard or expensive to fix (for people trained to do this stuff). I don't know how old your computer is but if it's still running Windows XP or something I would not spend money into fixing it, cause it is not worth anything anymore. $400 will get you a new system that is much faster.

For $200, why not get a cheap netbook? They are kinda slow but ultra portable and great for surfing the WWW.

[color]Aw, I wish I were your neighbor[/color]. Tongue Wink What a wonderful generous thought. Thank you.
Thing is, I took the Gateway to a guy to take a look and see if she was fixable. I told him I'm on a tight budget so to let me know what she needs before committing me to pricey repair$. (As did Hubby in a follow-up call to him.)
The guy assessed the unit as a burnt MB and not worth repairing. (And @ $50.00) And then proceeded to load a refurbed computer at his shop so I could have a computer which is less than 300 GB, if I remember correctly, arriving at a bill of $250.00 total! Undecided
No call, as told to do, before this billing/commitment.
So, I figure I'm stuck and so is he until I can get the money free to pay what shouldn't be such a hefty bill in the first place. (The $50.00 I can understand.)
Ah well. I figure between the one I got for free that's a bit off (and is now and back at our buddies being tinkered with *for free*) And this other one, I'm getting three computers including my old Gateway, for $200.00.
I'm the optimist that see's silver linings in cloudsAngel, so that's how I figure it so as to face the best of a bad situation.

Thanks again. Smile
(I can't believe I'm on the Library computer for the second day in a row. These things are never free like this. )
21-02-2011, 09:53 AM

300GB is just the hard drive size, which is basically a 1/3rd of the factor in the performance/ability of a computer (memory [RAM], CPU processor, storage [hard drive]).

$200 for a used computer with legit copy of Windows installed doesn't sound TOO bad. The guy has got to make some money after all. If you do not want the computer, simply pay him the $50 for looking at your dead gateway and tell him to sell it to someone else. Did he transfer files from your gateway to the refurb? If he did that is a little time consuming so you got your money's worth.
21-02-2011, 09:59 AM

(21-02-2011 09:53 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  300GB is just the hard drive size, which is basically a 1/3rd of the factor in the performance/ability of a computer (memory [RAM], CPU processor, storage [hard drive]).

$200 for a used computer with legit copy of Windows installed doesn't sound TOO bad. The guy has got to make some money after all. If you do not want the computer, simply pay him the $50 for looking at your dead gateway and tell him to sell it to someone else. Did he transfer files from your gateway to the refurb? If he did that is a little time consuming so you got your money's worth.

I don't think he did transfer anything, because the G. is an old system. However, he did load the refurb with a lot of nifty newer stuff. And it has a Windows installed that's suppose to be superior to WinXP. (The professional version, I think. Or perhaps a higher copy of something Windows.) I'll have to ask the specifics.
Thanks for the information. Smile I don't know much about computers. Hell, I'm lucky I can turn one on. Wink *Actually, that's not too hard. I learned a long time ago, if I just lift my shirt and jiggle in front of the monitor...poof, turn on! [Image: 9.gif] HAHA!
21-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Well , for 250$ you can buy a several components for a good price-performance ratio. Nothing high end mind you , so it would do well for a desktop and run all applications but no modern FPS or if it would run it - it would run at minimum settings.
I advise you check benchmarks if you get new components as you may get ripped off at times, especially if a seller observes you don't know your way around computer components.
As for an OS - you could always go the way of the penguin and pay 0.00 $ . Ubuntu is a good OS especially for beginners.
Last - a smilie with tits ?! Seriously now ... behave !!!

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM

(21-02-2011 10:46 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well , for 250$ you can buy a several components for a good price-performance ratio. Nothing high end mind you , so it would do well for a desktop and run all applications but no modern FPS or if it would run it - it would run at minimum settings.
I advise you check benchmarks if you get new components as you may get ripped off at times, especially if a seller observes you don't know your way around computer components.
As for an OS - you could always go the way of the penguin and pay 0.00 $ . Ubuntu is a good OS especially for beginners.
Last - a smilie with tits ?! Seriously now ... behave !!!

Oh come now, who but a gassy cat could even find a smiley face with nipples below her chin? Hmmm?! [Image: 6.gif]

Well, turns out the $200. refurb was a piece of crap pawn off. Long story but I saved 200$ in the long run and am now working on a freebie given me (after a bit of tweekage) by some buddies who bought a new computer and gave me this to tide me until I can afford an Apple. Ah perks!)
Thank you for your advice also. I found a book, "How to Build Your Own PC"/ I'll take your advice and read through that and see what I may be able to pull off. Hubby has a mate that can build computers with his eyes closed almost, so I'll see what I can square with him in maybe going that route instead of buying high end fruit for my desk! [Image: 18.gif] HA!