Sheltered Religous Childhood Stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2017, 12:25 AM
Sheltered Religous Childhood Stories?
I grew up in a evangelical home. And I grew up sheltered.

One I can remember is that I had such a lonely childhood, my mom told me 'you don't need any friends when God will be your friend.' yeah... trading my imaginary friend Sally for God, she was pretty pissed at that Tongue.
I was so lonely in fact I didn't know how to play with my two new cats, that I tried to play 'school' with them. Yeah, I had no friends to play with at the age of 6 that I tried this and it ended with me trapping them under a sled as they tried to get 'lunch' early. (Not for long, only five seconds as I realized how stupid the idea was.)

Start to see a picture here?

I can also remember finding out how different men and women look. My mom never told me about what made men different from women. I always used to think, until I was fucking 15, that mean had vagina like sex parts also. I had no idea what a penis was or even what it looked like. Then a good friend of mine came into my life and showed me Anime and how to use goggle 'properly'

Can any of you remember some stories of your sheltered childhood?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
28-02-2017, 09:32 AM
RE: Sheltered Religous Childhood Stories?
(28-02-2017 12:25 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I grew up in a evangelical home. And I grew up sheltered.

One I can remember is that I had such a lonely childhood, my mom told me 'you don't need any friends when God will be your friend.' yeah... trading my imaginary friend Sally for God, she was pretty pissed at that Tongue.
I was so lonely in fact I didn't know how to play with my two new cats, that I tried to play 'school' with them. Yeah, I had no friends to play with at the age of 6 that I tried this and it ended with me trapping them under a sled as they tried to get 'lunch' early. (Not for long, only five seconds as I realized how stupid the idea was.)

Start to see a picture here?
My late prior wife always said "puppies need puppies" to be properly socialized. You were an only child as well, I take it? That is not a problem by itself, but living in a fortified cultural and intellectual ghetto isn't as bad if you at least have siblings.

My siblings were so spread out (the youngest was 10 years older than me, the oldest, 20 years older) that I was raised practically as an only child but I went to public schools and had neighborhood friends without my parents being concerned that they belonged to our church or something. I grew up in fundamentalism but not a particularly virulent strain of it.

Even so I was naive about a lot of things, particularly, anything related to the opposite sex and had a very narrow view of family life that assumed (already wrongly by the time I came of age) a single-income family, traditional man = breadwinner, wife = helper / homemaker / incubator. But it was pretty straight-up being stuck in the 1930s in certain respects while growing up in the 1960s and 70s, not my parents keeping me all to themselves and their little bubble.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
28-02-2017, 10:40 AM
(28-02-2017 12:25 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I can also remember finding out how different men and women look. My mom never told me about what made men different from women. I always used to think, until I was fucking 15, that mean had vagina like sex parts also. I had no idea what a penis was or even what it looked like. Then a good friend of mine came into my life and showed me Anime and how to use goggle 'properly'

That's the only thing I can relate to. Not because of religion but because my mother was very conservative - as opposed to my father. My father was at work most of the time, running his shops, and so I was stuck with my mother. I remember visiting the public pool on occasions and children running around naked. I was surprised that some of them didn't have a dick and so I asked. Without getting a response, of course. But it stuck. I still have that image in my mind. That must have been in the mid 60ies, when I was around 3 or 4 years old.

Again, nothing related to religion as such. Only to a parent generation still being uptight and not knowing how to respond to a sexual question to a toddler.

I haven't got any memories of religion as such, since both of my parents were Easter and Christmas Catholics. I only remember when the priests starting to home in on us children. But that's an entirely different story.
28-02-2017, 11:01 AM
(28-02-2017 10:40 AM)abaris Wrote:  I remember visiting the public pool on occasions and children running around naked. I was surprised that some of them didn't have a dick and so I asked. Without getting a response, of course. But it stuck. I still have that image in my mind. That must have been in the mid 60ies, when I was around 3 or 4 years old.
My mother believed in sex education, kind of, in that it spared her having to have "the Talk" with me. She left a copy of The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Sex on the family bookshelf, which I surreptitiously devoured when no one was looking. In retrospect, she probably knew that.

The thing was, the illustrations in this book, for clinical illustration purposes I suppose, portrayed men and women without pubic hair. Imagine my surprise when I started growing some, and my amazement in finding that women had it too. And the irony when women eventually started shaving down there anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
28-02-2017, 08:54 PM
I'd say I had a sheltered childhood. One of the awkward pieces is that I had no idea dudes could be romantically interested in other dudes until I was 14 (fourteen!) and visited San Francisco. Luckily, a lesbian couple and then a trans woman started coming to my church soon after and were part of the community for a long time, so I watched my parents and pastor model love and acceptance even though it wasn't strictly in line with our church's doctrine. I figured that's how I should be, too.

Ruby, what were some ways you got to step out of your sheltered life when you were young? Literature was my ticket to the outside world, for a long time.

I used to play school when I was little, too. But I had younger siblings to whip into shape. Wink I'm sure I would have done something similar to cats if that's what I had to work with.