Shit my Mother-In-Law Says

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: Shit my Mother-In-Law Says
(02-06-2017 01:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  Haha! Reminds me of a ridiculous argument I had with classmate in high school, about the correct spelling of a Bulgarian word. See, the sound ia (for which we have a letter, я) can, under certain conditions, become e. Not the other way around though. Yet, a lot of people use a WRONG version of a word derived from the word for nine (and ten), where the original e sound is magically (and wrongly!) transformed into the ia sound. Morphologically impossible yet the vast majority of people use the wrong version...

Anyway, in the end we opened a dictionary (I was right, of course) and she just said "the dictionary is wrong" Facepalm'

(But that sucks about being surrounded by nutters)

Oh dear. That language sounds complicated. XD
Everytime I see unknown characters my brain immediately shuts down.

Vera, you have the power to change text on a pre-printed dictionary. An odd superpower isn't it? Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah, could've at least worked on cheques and stuff Rolleyes

Yeah, Bulgarian is unnecessarily complicated. Like, we have 3 genders and about 4-5 rules for making the plural for each of them. And a BUTTLOAD of exceptions. And that's before even getting started on the verbs (we have a tense (well, a mood, really; an inferential mood or renarrative) used when talking about things that you haven't witnessed personally).

Luckily, no one actually speaks Bulgarian other than us, so...

Ларай - that's how you spell your forum name in my alphabet Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2017, 02:01 PM
(02-06-2017 01:40 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, could've at least worked on cheques and stuff Rolleyes

Yeah, Bulgarian is unnecessarily complicated. Like, we have 3 genders and about 4-5 rules for making the plural for each of them. And a BUTTLOAD of exceptions. And that's before even getting started on the verbs (we have a tense (well, a mood, really; an inferential mood or renarrative) used when talking about things that you haven't witnessed personally).

Luckily, no one actually speaks Bulgarian other than us, so...

Ларай - that's how you spell your forum name in my alphabet Smile

Only use your superpowers for winning arguments not for committing financial fraud. XD With great power comes great responsibility, and all that jazz.

...Though if you wanted to use your power for checks for me I wouldn't mind... Big Grin

Gasp I thought German was bad...
02-06-2017, 02:45 PM
German has cases, which I hated when I was learning Russian (Bulgarian is the only Slavic language without cases). Or rather, I hate them now, 'cause I've forgotten them all, save two (I studied Russian ages ago, in the 3rd and 4th grade)

In Bulgarian (and other Slavic languages) we have a different word for German and it comes from the word for... mute. Yes

02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
(02-06-2017 02:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  German has cases, which I hated when I was learning Russian (Bulgarian is the only Slavic language without cases). Or rather, I hate them now, 'cause I've forgotten them all, save two (I studied Russian ages ago, in the 3rd and 4th grade)

In Bulgarian (and other Slavic languages) we have a different word for German and it comes from the word for... mute. Yes

Oh I use noticed you wrote my name! Shocking How do you do it? I'm not even sure how I could even go about pronouncing it.

Any particular reason why the word for mute is synonymous with Germany? Laugh out load
02-06-2017, 04:23 PM
It's the same name, just the letters of our alphabet (a lot of those are borrowed from the Latin one, but not all). Like, my name is actually Вера in Cyrillic and, say, Jenny is Джени, Aliza is Ализа and Shai Hulud is Шай Хулуд Smile

Some etymological sites claim that this is what ancient Slavic tribes called all "foreigners", speaking a different language - apparently speaking another language is equivalent to being mute. Rolleyes It's stuck only to Germans, though.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post