Shit poor pitch!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 11:02 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
Shit poor pitch!
Sorry about that ^^^...I have a little bit of a potty mouth, but this was really a shit poor excuse of a pitch for me to believe in Christianity.

I have a "friend" who has been doing a shitty job of trying to convert me. I really think she just wants to be right and is annoyed that I don't admit that she is. In fact, she takes the fact that I don't agree with her as a personal attack. I don't bring these conversations up. She does for the reasons stated above. But I do respond and give her what I think of it when she does have something to say, and she's gotten to the point that she realizes that I do know the bible far better than her. Those are her words not mine, and I know she really believes that to be true because when she said it she had no idea that I could hear her say it. [I edited this part to add the note that the reason why she had said this was because she was confiding in someone about me being an atheist and they suggested to her to point out this or that in the bible to clear me up. That's when she responded that it didn't matter because I knew the bible better than her. Just wanted to explain why she would randomly tell someone I knew the bible better than her if that was confusing.] The point being is that she got to the end of her tricks, and has failed, so has reached for her final card and played the following...

Her: "Well what will you do when all of a sudden, one day, I'm not here"?

Me: "Figure you probably called in sick that day".

Her: (scoffingly) "Yeah right, just assume I called in sick for the rest of my life"!
(assuming I knew she meant being gone forever, though she did not say that)

Me: "Well I'm sure at some point our supervisor would let me know that you quit".

Her: "No, I mean I'm just gone...completely. I've disappeared".

Me: "Well that would be sad. I'm sure someone would inform the police that you are missing and start looking for you".

Her: (scoffing again) "Yeah right, sure, just me and millions of other people disappear and no big deal! You'd think nothing of millions or more of people just disappearing off the face of the earth, overnight, with no sign of what happened to them! Sure, (said sarcastically as though this is as real a thing as something that has already happened and we have both already experienced) everybody just disappears and it's just another day?! Okay, than just keep thinking it's not a big deal when it happens (last part extremely sarcastic)".
(again assuming I knew she meant all the Christians, even though she did not say this, and still hasn't, I'm pretty sure she just changed the narrative there...)

Me: "Well I'm pretty sure you didn't say that part before, I think you just added that part. Why on earth would that ever happen? I don't think I'm going to be too worried about that happening because that would be like asking, 'what if tomorrow the earth just stopped spinning for no apparent reason, and everyone on earth was suddenly flung 800 miles per hour to the east' (800 mph for me, perhaps different for you depending on where you live). That's not a thing that's going to happen, so not too concerned about how I would respond".

Her: (the following was said as though I'm the crazy one) "Okay, just keep thinking that, but I'll give you some advice, when it happens make sure not to get the mark, and look to the seventh seal to know what to do when I'm gone"

And on that she felt completely content that she made her case. That was seriously her last ditch pitch to me. She really thought pointing out the fallacy of me not getting this future thing that has not happened yet, and will never happen, actually made a good point. I don't accept the things she said happened in the past as having happened, but she expects me to accept something that hasn't even happened yet?! It's nuts... I honestly think she believes she won that exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: Shit poor pitch!
You handled it well. I've got to tell you I am amazed at the extent of the brainwashing that goes on out there. Too bizzare for words.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-06-2013, 10:48 PM
(13-06-2013 10:24 PM)Cloud Strife Wrote:  I honestly think she believes she won that exchange.

They don't call 'em believers for nothing. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh, and by the way, from the moment she started and asked, "Well what will you do when all of a sudden, one day, I'm not here"? I knew exactly what she was getting at. But I figured I'm not going to answer the idiotic questions with an idiotic response, so I choose to answer how I would really respond to what she was literally saying, the actual words that were coming out of her mouth, rather than what she was implying.
14-06-2013, 05:14 AM
As an outsider listening in to that conversation, I would have no idea what she was talking about.
I could presume some kind of meteor strike or maybe a wide spread deadly virus, but beyond that, I wouldn't get it.

Ask her, how will I be able to tell if when one day you go missing that it's a religious thing or if you've been kidnapped ?

Should I just assume the religious thing and not contact the police ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Christians really get upset when you "just don't believe them". I think it may be an issue of them not understanding why, . . . or thinking "they must think I'm stupid for believing this when I know I'm right, and that makes me mad". It COULD be like the darkmatter2525 video where "Theresa IS god" [if you've seen that one, you know what I mean].

Anyway, it takes a bit of patience when dealing with an irrational religious person who is so sure that what they are saying is right. . . . when it really isn't.