Shitty “God is good” stories…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Shitty “God is good” stories…
It’s always frustrating to me to hear people’s shitty “God is good” stories in which the actual story sound so shitty, and/or has nothing to do with God. Often these are the type of stories in which a person has cancer, they pray to God and God cures them, ignoring all the medicine, doctors, and science involved in the “miracle”. Despite the fact that many people worked very diligently to make this “miracle” happen, they receive no credit and in the end the glory always goes to God.

The following is a message a friend posted via Facebook, in which she acknowledges the medications and treatments but still gives God the credit for the treatments to “work”. I’m already posting someone else’s message, so at the very least I’ve changed the names.

“Cool story:

Michael and I struggled for six years to make a baby. He was healthy, but my body was overwrought with pelvic/reproductive disease & scar tissue from endometriosis. After three back-to-back surgeries (one 8 hours long) we decided to go for it with IVF. One last surgery to sterilize me (no joke) then the games would begin. In the meantime, an old [High School] buddy of Michael's, named Sarah had just finished with her most recent round of IVF and had some meds/supplies leftover. She heard of our fertility plight via [Facebook], and decided to pray over the supplies/medicines, asking God for abundant blessings and then handed them over to me.

We began the IVF process in July and by September 10th, I was pregnant. Lots of miracles in this story--a total complete and utter miracle since we had been told it was hopeless. Interestingly, she had also struggled TERRIBLY with getting pregnant, had prayed over the meds for herself, and was blessed in turn with TWINS!--thus, no longer needing the meds/supplies.

Well now we were BOTH preggers but there were still some supplies/meds left... What to do? You guessed it, they were prayed over for abundant blessings and for God's sovereign will be done. Lo and behold Sarah had yet another friend in need and???...a FOURTH baby girl was on her way.

God is good. The end.”

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
01-08-2013, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 10:27 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
RE: Shitty “God is good” stories…
Maybe I'm wrong (spoiler: I am not) but I don't think this story had anything to do with God, or his power.

Edit: Not only did God have nothing to do with this story, but this story is actually all about science and modern technology helping people, not God.

01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Besides not being real, why is God actually not good in this story?

That child she had was born with a detached esophagus and had to be airlifted to another hospital for emergency surgery. The baby is currently barely a year old, and has already had more surgeries than I will probably ever have over the course of my life. Also, just prior to that child being born her husband was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor and he died 5 months after the birth of their child. This child still suffers from a number of medical issues.

I feel for this woman, her deceased husband, and their baby’s health issues, I really do. But this is not a “God is good” story. If God is good, did he make her womb unable to produce a child, that she could only become pregnant if she took actions that circumvented God? After struggling for 11 years trying to get pregnant, did God give her husband cancer just before they finally got pregnant? Did God decide to have created this child with a detached esophagus and various other medical ailments that continue to plague her to this day, and that without them having taking acts of intervention, outside of God, would have caused the child to die? Did God then decide to have the husband die before his child reached her first birthday?

01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
It's ridiculous that she completely ignored her 6 years of struggles and the fact that God was nowhere to be found during that entire time.

Another "God is good" story that got me was a couple of months ago when those women escaped their 10-year captivity with a rapist in Cleveland and the aunt of one of the women said something like "It's a miracle. If you don't believe in miracles, you better think again." She totally ignored God's complete absence for the past decade!

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Another aspect of all these stories is there was nothing that occurred that couldn't have occurred by its own accord.

I mean yes, in a lot of cases the chance of the positive outcome occurring are very small, and so when they do it might be a cause for a special celebration.
But the fact is, that despite the small chance of occurring how it did, it is far from impossible.

That's the main I think we ask for god to heal amputees.
It is something that by all scientific understanding is literally impossible to occur on its own.
Of course we can argue if it really was a god, let alone which god, that may have done it at all. But at least it would be a start.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Here's my moms.
God helped me get a car.
(She had bad credit since the late 90's :/)

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
01-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Ugh, this made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Reminded me just why exactly I despise this "God" character - he gets credit for everything and is blamed for nothing.

01-08-2013, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 03:23 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
And the bazaar thing to me is that this sort of thing hasn’t weakened her faith, it strengthens it. As if God is an abusive dad and the more he hits you the harder you try to win his love and blame yourself.

That actually reminds me, a while back she made another post in which say blamed herself for her husband’s death. She basically wrote that she felt she truly knew what faith was, but on reflection of the time prior to his death she realizes that she prayed wrong. She prayed that God cure her husband, but if it is his plan to take him to at least give her strength to endure it.

She said she realizes now that that was the wrong way to pray, and disrespectful of her toward God. That to God it was essentially like saying “I know you’re probably too impotent to save my husband, so if you aren’t powerful enough to do that then at least make be strong enough to deal with it”, which she believes is insulting to God because she should know he can do all things. She said if she had not relied on a safety-net, caveat prayer in case God failed, and had more faith and trust in God to actually cure her husband, then her husband might still be with her today.

It's such fucked up thinking. It truly makes me feel sorry for her that she has God in her life, and that she thinks she is responsible for her own husbands death because she couldn't make her abusive shithead of a father (God) happy enough no matter how much she tried. I can only imagine she walks around in the world with this feeling of being worthless because this belife she holds of God. It's really sad.

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
01-08-2013, 03:21 PM
(01-08-2013 01:05 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  As if God is an abusive dad and the more he hits you the harder to try to win his love and blame yourself.

This. A million times this.

01-08-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 03:44 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(01-08-2013 09:34 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  It’s always frustrating to me to hear people’s shitty “God is good” stories in which the actual story sound so shitty, and/or has nothing to do with God. Often these are the type of stories in which a person has cancer, they pray to God and God cures them, ignoring all the medicine, doctors, and science involved in the “miracle”. Despite the fact that many people worked very diligently to make this “miracle” happen, they receive no credit and in the end the glory always goes to God.

The following is a message a friend posted via Facebook, in which she acknowledges the medications and treatments but still gives God the credit for the treatments to “work”. I’m already posting someone else’s message, so at the very least I’ve changed the names.

“Cool story:

Michael and I struggled for six years to make a baby. He was healthy, but my body was overwrought with pelvic/reproductive disease & scar tissue from endometriosis. After three back-to-back surgeries (one 8 hours long) we decided to go for it with IVF. One last surgery to sterilize me (no joke) then the games would begin. In the meantime, an old [High School] buddy of Michael's, named Sarah had just finished with her most recent round of IVF and had some meds/supplies leftover. She heard of our fertility plight via [Facebook], and decided to pray over the supplies/medicines, asking God for abundant blessings and then handed them over to me.

We began the IVF process in July and by September 10th, I was pregnant. Lots of miracles in this story--a total complete and utter miracle since we had been told it was hopeless. Interestingly, she had also struggled TERRIBLY with getting pregnant, had prayed over the meds for herself, and was blessed in turn with TWINS!--thus, no longer needing the meds/supplies.

Well now we were BOTH preggers but there were still some supplies/meds left... What to do? You guessed it, they were prayed over for abundant blessings and for God's sovereign will be done. Lo and behold Sarah had yet another friend in need and???...a FOURTH baby girl was on her way.

God is good. The end.”

Ok...please explain this....IVF is in vitro fertilization. It's not something done in your home. Eggs are physically removed, mixed with sperm then reimplanted into the uterus.

The drugs taken are to increase the number of eggs released (many won't be good)...

Also there are many contraindications when it comes to those drugs...I've never heard of women having such an excess lying around that they could just pass them off to friends.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon