Shitty “God is good” stories…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
RE: Shitty “God is good” stories…
So, y'all made me go look this up...

"In 1955, A.E. Fisher conducted an experiment on puppies. His team separated puppies in to three groups. Members of the first group were treated kindly every time they approached a researcher. Members of the second group were punished for approaching the researchers. And puppies in the third group were randomly treated kindly or punished. They grew up never knowing what to expect. Their world was not a world of kindness or punishment but rather one of uncertainty. What’s really chilling is that the study found that this third group of puppies wound up being the most attached to the researchers. The third group loved the researchers the strongest and was the most dependent on them.

This became known as the polarity principle. Stress, including the mental stress of uncertainty, is an ingredient in attachment or love. Perhaps, even manifestations of hatred, its polar opposite, somehow enhanced love. Uncertainty, psychologically, can lead to some of the greatest feelings of attachment and dependence."

I haven't read a lot on the subject, so maybe it's been proven to be bollocks or at least not that relevant to human psychology. Please don't figuratively -or literally- poop on me for not doing enough research Weeping

Other than your friend (acquaintance?) looking like the puppy, her story reminded me of diet pills. You know, the ones you have to take in order to lose mad amounts of weight and that have that fine print that goes "Best results when coupled with a balanced diet and regular exercise". Diet and exercise obviously won't work without the pills. Fertility treatment obviously won't work without the hoodoo.

[Image: killing-floor-screen-banner.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DancingSkeletons's post
01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
(01-08-2013 03:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ok...please explain this....IVF is in vitro fertilization. It's not something done in your home. Eggs are physically removed, mixed with sperm then reimplanted into the uterus.

The drugs taken are to increase the number of eggs released (many won't be good)...

Also there are many contraindications when it comes to those drugs...I've never heard of women having such an excess lying around that they could just pass them off to friends.

I'm not going to be able to explain it to you. It didn't make sense to me either. I'm just sharing it the way it was shared with me.

Keep in mind that this is a person who believes there is a giant man in the sky who is deciding who lives or dies from cancer based on whether or not a different person begs him in just the right way not to kill the other person. I don’t think she has a firm grip on how reality works. Still that being said, if you did the treatments you think you would know how they work, but I don’t know how to answer that, I didn't understand it either.

01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
(01-08-2013 04:09 PM)DancingSkeletons Wrote:  So, y'all made me go look this up...

"In 1955, A.E. Fisher conducted an experiment on puppies. His team separated puppies in to three groups. Members of the first group were treated kindly every time they approached a researcher. Members of the second group were punished for approaching the researchers. And puppies in the third group were randomly treated kindly or punished. They grew up never knowing what to expect. Their world was not a world of kindness or punishment but rather one of uncertainty. What’s really chilling is that the study found that this third group of puppies wound up being the most attached to the researchers. The third group loved the researchers the strongest and was the most dependent on them.

This became known as the polarity principle. Stress, including the mental stress of uncertainty, is an ingredient in attachment or love. Perhaps, even manifestations of hatred, its polar opposite, somehow enhanced love. Uncertainty, psychologically, can lead to some of the greatest feelings of attachment and dependence."

I haven't read a lot on the subject, so maybe it's been proven to be bollocks or at least not that relevant to human psychology. Please don't figuratively -or literally- poop on me for not doing enough research Weeping

Other than your friend (acquaintance?) looking like the puppy, her story reminded me of diet pills. You know, the ones you have to take in order to lose mad amounts of weight and that have that fine print that goes "Best results when coupled with a balanced diet and regular exercise". Diet and exercise obviously won't work without the pills. Fertility treatment obviously won't work without the hoodoo.

That study with the puppies is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote:

(01-08-2013 01:05 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  And the bazaar thing to me is that this sort of thing hasn’t weakened her faith, it strengthens it. As if God is an abusive dad and the more he hits you the harder you try to win his love and blame yourself.

There is a good video on this, I'm going to have to find it and post it later when I can.

01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
(01-08-2013 05:12 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 03:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ok...please explain this....IVF is in vitro fertilization. It's not something done in your home. Eggs are physically removed, mixed with sperm then reimplanted into the uterus.

The drugs taken are to increase the number of eggs released (many won't be good)...

Also there are many contraindications when it comes to those drugs...I've never heard of women having such an excess lying around that they could just pass them off to friends.

I'm not going to be able to explain it to you. It didn't make sense to me either. I'm just sharing it the way it was shared with me.

Keep in mind that this is a person who believes there is a giant man in the sky who is deciding who lives or dies from cancer based on whether or not a different person begs him in just the right way not to kill the other person. I don’t think she has a firm grip on how reality works. Still that being said, if you did the treatments you think you would know how they work, but I don’t know how to answer that, I didn't understand it either.

Of course and I do understsnd. It's stuff like -- just sets off my radar. I don't know if people just say shit that sounds good to them to make god sound great. but again I dunno.

I don't think it's skepticism that makes me that way. I think, sadly, it's cynicism.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:Also there are many contraindications when it comes to those drugs...I've never heard of women having such an excess lying around that they could just pass them off to friends.

Are you suggesting that fine xtians would invent shit, MSB?

Smile
01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
My mom is a kind and sweet person, but has incredibly strong faith in the sky daddy. She buys the whole "God's plan" crap, and will readily toss out a "Praise the Lord" to most anything. She also firmly believes that any and every medical procedure has God right there in the room. When questioned about the doctors' involvement or medical science, she always replies something about how "God was guiding the surgeon's hands."

Here's my issues with RP's friend, my mom, and all of the others drinking the Kool-Aid:

· Why would a God's medical abilities only be as good current medical science? Why was he unable to perform advanced medical procedures a thousand years ago?

· If God is doing all the work, couldn't anyone with two hands be a surgeon?

· If God had actually been performing god-like medical procedures since the dawn of civilization, there would be no medical science nor need for advancement.

Your friend conveniently overlooking all of the shit that life dealt her and still claiming "God is good," sounds exactly like people who profess that prayer works. Hell, even people who claim that fortune-telling works. It's amazing (and sad) that the human brain focuses only on the successes, but forgets the failed attempts.

As an enlightened individual, without the need to fortify superstitious beliefs, it's easy to see the reality of life.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
(01-08-2013 05:17 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 04:09 PM)DancingSkeletons Wrote:  So, y'all made me go look this up...

That study with the puppies is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote:

(01-08-2013 01:05 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  And the bazaar thing to me is that this sort of thing hasn’t weakened her faith, it strengthens it. As if God is an abusive dad and the more he hits you the harder you try to win his love and blame yourself.

There is a good video on this, I'm going to have to find it and post it later when I can.

Ignore the title. Fast forward to 6:20 for the part on attachment. The whole thing is good though, if you want to watch. Just think of people's attachment to "God" and their church as you watch the part about the puppies, baby monkeys, and ducklings. It's quite insightful if you look at it that way.

[/quote]

01-08-2013, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 08:25 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(01-08-2013 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ... It's stuff like -- just sets off my radar. I don't know if people just say shit that sounds good to them to make god sound great. ....

It grates on me too. Christians just says stuff to say stuff because they think it sounds good and insightful. It's like a free pass to not have to actually have a thought or opinion on anything, but come off as thought you've said something deep when really you've said nothing.

Christian advice is the worst advice ever! Here is a fictions example;
Bill comes to John and tells John about this terrible problem that he is having that is full of nuance and tenuous conditions, and that he now has an extremely difficult life altering decision and needs advice on what to do. Bill replies, "Just put it all in God's hands".

What in the fuck does that even mean?! That helps nothing! He still has to actually do something. Most meaningless advice ever.

I got a little tangential there, but still....

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
01-08-2013, 08:18 PM
(01-08-2013 07:53 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ... It's stuff like -- just sets off my radar. I don't know if people just say shit that sounds good to them to make god sound great. ....

It grates on me too. Christians just says stuff to say stuff because they think it sounds good and insightful. It's like a free pass to not have to actually have a thought or opinion on anything, but come off as thought you've said something deep when really you've said nothing.

Christian advice is the worst advice ever! Here is a fictions example;
Bill comes to John and tells John about this terrible problem that he is having that is full of nuance and tenuous conditions, and that he now has an extremely difficult decision and needs advice on what to do. Bill replies, "Just put it all in God's hands".

What in the fuck does that even mean?! That helps nothing! He still has to actually do something. Most meaningless advice ever.

I got a little tangential there, but still....

Oh I've heard that too! It's like saying I've got nothing to say so I'll just say give it to god so I can feel good and don't have to worry about helping you.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

01-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:"God was guiding the surgeon's hands."

So how come some people die on the operating table? Was god distracted by the nurse's ass?
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post