Shitty Schools Shitty Teachers Shitty Students

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 07:23 PM
RE: Shitty Schools Shitty Teachers Shitty Students
Thankfully, the school is very big on activity and exercise.

But the food policing drives me crazy. I pack a very healthy lunch for her. Typically a salad, a piece of fruit, a yogurt/smoothie or hummus/pretzels. If I want to pack her one Oreo, that should be my judgment call to make, not theirs.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2017, 07:28 PM
It's not the teachers, you think the teachers want the craziness they get? After a teacher has spoken with the child, given a punishment or two, spoken with the parents, well...the tool kit can run dry. The hammer is supposed to be an office referral, but when that is ineffective...? Teachers have to be psychologists, and in many districts they have to be expert psychologists, with 33 patients all screaming at the same time, it's just asking too much.
[+] 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
It's bullshit. It's fucking abuse. The kids are allowed verbally accost teachers all day long. If they get expelled the Southern Povert Law Center calls it racism. The real racism is the belief that black kids are incapable of decent behavior. It's the racism of low expectations. They also expect us to keep the kids in the room no matter what they do. If they cuss me or start shit with the other kids I throw their asses out. If they won't leave I'll stand over them and yell in their faces until they do. Fuck trying to save every piece of shit in there. The rotten ones need to fuck off. This shit where five kids destroy everything for the other 20 is bullshit. The school won't do shit. It's year after fucking year of the same bullshit. If they want some teacher to just sit in there like a goddamn punching bag they need to think again. I'm throwing out the fucking garbage. If they don't like it they can fire me. Sue me. Attack me. What the fuck ever. I don't give a shit.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
01-09-2017, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 09:39 PM by epronovost.)
I must admit that I sometime feels powerless in a classroom to stop my drop-in (that's how we call the drop outs, those who have abandonned school, but never left it physically) from spoilling my day of work and that of the the 30 or so other student in my classroom. In the end, our tools are rather limited. Our desire to prevent and to limit school dropout numbers is so important (especially financially and politically speaking) that we can't even resort to suspension or expulsion. Doing so would only encourage those students to dropout and reduce their already abyssimal chance of getting a passing grade.

School is hard work for everybody. It requires efforts and reading and working and doing things that nobody especially like because those things are necessary to operate as functionnal adults and well-informed citizens. Many kids, parents and politicians would like us to make ''miracles'' and make school just has entertaining than watching let's plays on Youtube or hanging out with friends. That's simply not possible. Learning how to bite the bullet and keep on going is pretty much an essential skill for most student and, sadly, many don't have it and don't want to develop it. The saddest thing in life to me is to see a kid who doesn't want to learn, who has no intellectual curiosity, who is ignorant of even the most basic things and is almost proud to be. We live in an extraordinary moment in time and space. Right now, all my students have at home easy access to pretty much the entire realm of human knowledge at the tip of their finger, but some wouldn't even think to try to learn by themselves or interest themselves in knowledge in any way or fashion. For all those who died without even having a chance to know, see and undertand more, I find that purely disgusting.

Above all this, what makes me rage the most is that everybody, every fucking body says that the most important thing is education. Every fucking body agrees that education is the best way to build a prosperous and healthy society. That it's the best way to solve social issues, to increase economic and scientific growth, to reduce war, criminality and violence, to build equitable societies. Everybody says that and believe that, but we never put the food where our collective mouth is. We say it amongst one another, but too rarelly to the kids, we underpay teachers compared to other professionnals with the same level of education, we underfund and missfund education all the time. If its the most fucking important thing for society shouldn't we put our money and our time in it?

(sorry for the rant)

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 8 users Like epronovost's post
01-09-2017, 09:13 PM
(01-09-2017 08:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Above all this, what makes me rage the most is that everybody, every fucking body says that the most important thing is education. Every fucking body agrees that education is the best way to build a prosperous and healthy society. That it's the best way to solve social issues, to increase economic and scientific growth, to reduce war, criminality and violence, to build equitable societies. Everybody says that and believe that, but we never put the food where our collective mouth is. We say it amongst one another, but too rarelly to the kids, we underpay teachers compared to other professionnals with the same level of education, we underfund and missfund education all the time. If its the most fucking important thing for society shouldn't we put our money and our time in it?

(sorry for the rant)

Rant on, brother. Given a month I couldn't have expressed it better.
02-09-2017, 12:29 AM
Education does not make a bad person good. Educating bad people makes the world a worse place not a better place. The idea that education is a panacea or a gateway to an improved world is a sad misconception. Morality can be modeled and taught but not in school. Being a good teacher does not help society unless your students deserve to be educated. The most horrible people to ever live are or were very educated. People who make WMDs are very educated. Same with banking laws. Whether we want to admit it or not Trump is very educated. As teachers, we're not doing the world any favors. We're cogs in a system that's inherently bad.
02-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Ah

Feeling better after some shut eye
02-09-2017, 08:42 AM
(01-09-2017 08:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Above all this, what makes me rage the most is that everybody, every fucking body says that the most important thing is education. Every fucking body agrees that education is the best way to build a prosperous and healthy society. That it's the best way to solve social issues, to increase economic and scientific growth, to reduce war, criminality and violence, to build equitable societies. Everybody says that and believe that, but we never put the food where our collective mouth is. We say it amongst one another, but too rarelly to the kids, we underpay teachers compared to other professionnals with the same level of education, we underfund and missfund education all the time. If its the most fucking important thing for society shouldn't we put our money and our time in it?

(sorry for the rant)

It grates me too. Teachers, health professionals, police and firemen should all be paid decent wages - wages comparable to say, if one was to not teach your subject but be employed in the corporate world. Educators and doctors should be the ones earning sky-high bonuses and running giggling all the way to the bank. Instead of which the high paying professions are things like sport, banking, lawyering, being a rich orange prick... it's fucking UPSIDE DOWN Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
I wish I made half of what doctors make. Or what nurses and flight attendants make.
03-09-2017, 07:36 AM
I believe the money is there for education, it's just misappropriated.
The teachers catch all the piss cause they are at the bottom of the management totem pole.

As with corporate America, the school system administrators funnel themselves all the steaks and roasts, while tossing the the actual doers the hotdogs and tripe. As if doers aren't even somewhat worthy of better, for their part. It's so fuc'd up becaue those who should / could fix (some of) this mess, would only diminish their "take" in the process.

You have to be odd to be #1.