Shitty Schools Shitty Teachers Shitty Students

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: Shitty Schools Shitty Teachers Shitty Students
The teacher needs to be the highest paid person in the school. If you're working in a difficult school and you're not in the classroom it's like being on vacation by comparison.

Every teacher writes an "emergency" sub plan. If I'm not there it's an "emergency". It's a desperate scramble to deal with 25 kids or more an hour. It disrupts the entire school if my position isn't filled in my absence. The principal can leave town for a week and most of the school won't even know it.

I realize the value of the position can't be measured so simplistically but I hope it makes a point. The point being that administrators shouldn't be paid three times what teachers make. That kind of pyramid hierarchical thinking is indead a big part of the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
03-09-2017, 08:52 AM
(03-09-2017 08:21 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The teacher needs to be the highest paid person in the school. If you're working in a difficult school and you're not in the classroom it's like being on vacation by comparison.

Every teacher writes an "emergency" sub plan. If I'm not there it's an "emergency". It's a desperate scramble to deal with 25 kids or more an hour. It disrupts the entire school if my position isn't filled in my absence. The principal can leave town for a week and most of the school won't even know it.

I realize the value of the position can't be measured so simplistically but I hope it makes a point. The point being that administrators shouldn't be paid three times what teachers make. That kind of pyramid hierarchical thinking is indead a big part of the problem.

I'm not sure admins should be paid less, but teachers should also be professionals. They should get better training and better pay both.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-09-2017, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:04 AM by dancefortwo.)
My husband's a high school teacher. Fortunately he's at a pretty decent school in the Portland area. But at one time he taught in East Los Angeles. He had his life threatened several times. Kids had guns at school. It was horrible. Anyway, he would agree with the other teachers who have posted on the forum.

But I wanted to post this great video from a mother out shopping for school supplies. It made my husband feel a little better about going back to school next week. Don't skip over the video you teachers on the forum. Please watch it. LOL.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-09-2017, 09:11 AM
It's not even the pay, although that is an issue in and of itself...it's the constant undermining and questioning teachers face. I can think of no other profession under such constant public scrutiny.

My guess is it's because teachers are allowed summer vacation and jealous people somehow feel they don't deserve it, and also because it is a predominantly female-led profession.

In my town, 8 of the 10 top earners on the town payroll are police. I never hear of scrutiny of the police, they tend to get adoration and borderline fanatical praise.

I don't understand a community that would rather throw money carte blanche at the police department while criticizing every move the school systems makes. Cuts typically come from education first.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" Why can't this philosophy be incorporated? Our incarceration rates are through the roof. But when the town budget is passed and cuts are needed, boom! There go teaching positions. And class sizes go up, and 'extras' are eliminated or consolidated. It is so infuriating.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
03-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Dance

When she hit that mini bottle that shit was hilarious
03-09-2017, 11:11 AM
(03-09-2017 08:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-09-2017 08:21 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The teacher needs to be the highest paid person in the school. If you're working in a difficult school and you're not in the classroom it's like being on vacation by comparison.

I'm not sure admins should be paid less, but teachers should also be professionals. They should get better training and better pay both.

Training and pay don't mean shit if the kids know you don't have authority. You get kids that want to fuck up your class and understand you're not willing to go to jail to stop it you've already lost. They won't remove them and you can't touch them. It's checkmate.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
03-09-2017, 11:26 AM
I'd sure like to say I give a shit but since this issue doesn't directly affect me I can't muster up enough empathy to give a shit that your job sucks. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps these issues should be on the news.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-09-2017, 11:57 AM
The cost for students in my county is $16,400 per child. That is a lot of local tax payer money and still the "schools are failing" the kids. We get just a little bit of state and fed money and we end up with $18,000. Social promotions of kids who can't read, write or do math. How much more money do we throw at a system that eats it up and still produces a failing end product 20% of the time and a half-assed product another 20% of the time?

Our teachers start at $46,000, but quickly move up because our state and county insist they get their masters degree, which the state and county pay for and excellent benefits.

It is nearly impossible to get rid of bad and/or lazy teachers once they get tenure and the mandates just keep coming to do more and more that isn't actually learning basics. For instance, Art must be integrated into every subject, such as, science, math and English, even in the primary grades.

WTF! How about we make sure the students can read and write and figure and understand science before we bring Art into the 45 minutes or less that they have for these classes. Let Art be Art and Math be Math for pity's sake.

Good teachers are trying hard, but the new curriculum codes and new discipline codes have made their teaching for the love of teaching and helping children learn a very, very stressful job.

Everything starts with the family. If the family is dysfunctional, then the children are usually a mess.

On my husband's bus, he has students who complain to him about the behavior and the fact that so much time is spent with bad kids that not much learning is taking place. Parents that can are removing their children and he lost 3 riders for this year to private schools. We don't have much besides public schools and most kids are stuck where they are.

"Progressive Maryland" schools are a mess. And in the rural areas we are working hard to catch up with the city schools in that respect.

My sympathies to teachers stuck in a bad situation. Best of luck to you. When you find that you are having trouble keeping your anger in check or you feel you might hit students, get out. Save yourself.

In my son's second year, his principal told him he should "get out before this place sucks your soul dry."

BTW, I think Art and Music are important. We have two Art teachers in my family. Just don't waste time bringing it into the basic courses.

And...for the love of all things holy; not every child should go to college or stay on an academic track!

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 2 users Like Jeanne's post
03-09-2017, 12:06 PM
(03-09-2017 11:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I'd sure like to say I give a shit but since this issue doesn't directly affect me I can't muster up enough empathy to give a shit that your job sucks. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps these issues should be on the news.

If that's supposed to be a parody of my position you failed but you just keep patting yourself on the back about how bad you feel about isolated incidents. You're a good person and I'm a bad person.
03-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:I think Art and Music are important. We have two Art teachers in my family. Just don't waste time bringing it into the basic courses

Totally agree. Education is constantly barraged with extreme legislation. That could be just an excuse to actually cutting the art department (they're getting art everywhere) or a stupid overreaction to not enough art.

Teachers already like doing cross-curriculum stuff but not when it's forced on them by people who know nothing about teaching.

Kids struggle in math and reading so they take them out of PE and art. What you get is a kid who has long since reached diminishing returns on the basics and gets even worse because they're bored and never get any exercise. So then it's on to the doc with the ADHD diagnosis. Pump him full of speed. Meanwhile, whatever happens keep the kid in a classroom so nobody besides the teacher can get the blame for the clusterfuck gray matter.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post