Shoes on inside

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Shoes on inside
I remember as a kid hearing that the Japanese don't wear their shoes inside. I thought "well neither do we." I can't speak for all of Canada but us Newfies generally don't and anytime I visit a friends house here in Alberta I remove my shoes. Everybody removes their shoes when they visit me as well. I always did in any province also but I was surrounded by other Newfies so I don't really know if it's common practice in this country.
Im told that you Yanks don't remove your shoes? I've been to the States lots but I don't know a lot of people down there so I'm unsure. Then there are the other countries. I don't know what they do..
This is the long way to ask a simple question.
Do you wear your shoes inside?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: Shoes on inside
Yes and no.
23-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I can't even stand wearing pants or socks at home, I don't know how I would survive having to wear shoes indoors. Just seems odd to me.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
23-02-2015, 02:13 PM
In Britland, shoes on indoors is acceptable ... unless the shoes are wet / muddy ... and given that it rains almost every day... shoes off for practical reasons.

Not just Japan but pretty much everywhere I've been to in Asia, shoes are left at the door. You get a pretty stern look if you forget.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-02-2015, 02:16 PM
No shoes in the house -- unless you want to be handed a mop.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-02-2015, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2015 02:23 PM by Nurse.)
It's rude to take your shoes off, whether you are the company or the host. Yes, I go shoeless if it's just me and my immediate family in the house, but if company is coming over, shoes come on. And they make fun of southerners and say we don't wear shoes...

I remember being shocked when asked to take my shoes off by an Indian friend when I was in high school. It felt very personal to me.

Edit: If shoes are messy - that's what both the outdoor and indoor doormat are for, as well as a towel if needed. You shouldn't be too terribly muddy to entire my home, because it would have been rude to walk on my lawn, that's what the driveway and sidewalk are for...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
23-02-2015, 02:25 PM
(23-02-2015 02:19 PM)Nurse Wrote:  It's rude to take your shoes off, whether you are the company or the host. Yes, I go shoeless if it's just me and my immediate family in the house, but if company is coming over, shoes come on. And they make fun of southerners and say we don't wear shoes...

I remember being shocked when asked to take my shoes off by an Indian friend when I was in high school. It felt very personal to me.

Funny. Why would it be rude to take them off? Wouldn't it be the other way around?
23-02-2015, 02:30 PM
(23-02-2015 02:25 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 02:19 PM)Nurse Wrote:  It's rude to take your shoes off, whether you are the company or the host. Yes, I go shoeless if it's just me and my immediate family in the house, but if company is coming over, shoes come on. And they make fun of southerners and say we don't wear shoes...

Funny. Why would it be rude to take them off? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Cultural thing left over from more modest times, I suppose. Like I said - it feels personal to me to see someone's socked or naked feet. And they can be stinky.

The finer homes of previous centuries had separate staircases so men would not see the ankles of the ladies coming down the stairs - it was worth dueling over.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Maybe intimate is a better word choice.

23-02-2015, 02:57 PM
(23-02-2015 02:31 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Maybe intimate is a better word choice.

Familiar?