Shoes on inside

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: Shoes on inside
Everyone I know here removes their shoes or brings indoor shoes. Sometimes in the summer some shoes are worn inside, rarely. Most northern US citizens remove shoes as well, not so common in the southern states. My nephew from Florida drives my mother crazy when he visits. He'll just run inside even on a rainy day and drag mud in. When I went to visit my sister in Florida I kept forgetting to leave my shoes on in her home and my feet and socks would get sooo dirty, ew! Ha ha.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2015, 06:11 PM
No shoes in our house for family members. My carpets stay much cleaner since I made the rule.

Slippers or barefoot.

I do not impose on other people tho.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Yes, even in Germany (at least where I've been) they don't use shoes indoors. But Japanese are on another level.

When you enter, you are in the so-called Genkan, the low section (one step lower than the rest of the house) immediately close to the door, which is comparable to the street, there you leave your shoes. So you wear slippers to go around the house. But they have also extra slippers for the bathroom. So you use slippers for that, and another set for the rest of the house.

And when you are about to enter a room with tatami mats, you must take off your slippers. (I guess that's why they suggest new socks when going to Japan. Tongue)

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
23-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I never wear shoes at home but would never expect to take them off when visiting somebody else (unless I was staying over or the shoes were wet or muddy or something). I've known a few people that ask everybody to remove shoes and frankly it give the impression that they are very concerned that you might actually bring some dirt into their spotless house. That makes me very uncomfortable because it puts me on edge over every little action to be sure I don't do anything.

I realize that many just see it as a simple way to avoid getting carpets dirty and they don't mean to imply that you can't relax or that some dirt would be a disaster but it sure feels that way to me.

In places like Japan where it is just the normal custom I don't think I'd get the same vibe but in the US it is just odd.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-02-2015, 06:27 PM
(23-02-2015 02:06 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I remember as a kid hearing that the Japanese don't wear their shoes inside. I thought "well neither do we." I can't speak for all of Canada but us Newfies generally don't and anytime I visit a friends house here in Alberta I remove my shoes. Everybody removes their shoes when they visit me as well. I always did in any province also but I was surrounded by other Newfies so I don't really know if it's common practice in this country.
Im told that you Yanks don't remove your shoes? I've been to the States lots but I don't know a lot of people down there so I'm unsure. Then there are the other countries. I don't know what they do..
This is the long way to ask a simple question.
Do you wear your shoes inside?

In my experience, people usually go barefoot in their own homes; shoes tend to be removed when inside the house. They are only usually removed outside if they are caked in mud, and even then they tend to be carried to the laundry room where the stay until cleaned or are put back on outside.

In a social settings, shoes usually stay on, unless removal has been explicitly offered by the host.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-02-2015, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2015 06:54 PM by Escape Artist.)
I take my shoes off at home, but having company over and them taking off their shoes? Or me going to visit someone and just up and taking off my shoes like I own the place? Blink Nope. Too weird.

Like Nurse said, it's intimate or something. Or like you'd be trying to make yourself too comfortable in my house, or I in yours. It would feel kind of... rude.

But I am not a good hostess and am not fond of entertaining or of company in general. I'm a lovely person, though, I promise. Tongue

ETA: I will say though that kids taking off their shoes and running around my house wouldn't bother me at all. But, they're kids. I would expect the adults to keep theirs on. Odd that. Hobo Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
23-02-2015, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2015 09:03 PM by Nurse.)
Basically, it is inappropriate for me to be in the room with a man in his dress socks that I'm not related to or fucking.

It's not about the cleanliness of the house. It's about modesty.

Edited to add: and for women - I will offer them a seat so they don't have to stand around in their heels. If I am a guest wearing heels, I will suck it up and grin and bare it through the pain if I'm not offered a seat and I do happen to wear uncomfortable shoes. Just makes them a shitty inconsiderate host.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-02-2015, 09:02 PM
(23-02-2015 02:31 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Maybe intimate is a better word choice.

So dependin' on one self-esteem that high heel thread could be considered second base. Big Grin

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
23-02-2015, 09:37 PM
No shoes on the carpet. Rule in my house.
23-02-2015, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2015 09:50 PM by yakherder.)
I grew up on an island in Washington state in a house my stepfather's grandfather built. It was about as simple as you could get. Wood floor. I know from helping repair the wall once that crumpled wads of newspaper from as early as pre WW1 were used as insulation. And yes, we wore shoes. Hell if the dog came in soaking wet after a swim to lay down by the cast iron stove we didn't give a shit. Pretty much the same at our Alaska cabin.

At grandma's house back in civilization, we took shoes off.

In my house now, yeah we take off shoes. My girlfriend is more civilized than me and insisted on having, like, a floor with actual tiles in it and other modern shit like that. So I play by the rules and try to be normal. I do miss growing up in the sticks though... and not concerning myself with such trivial things Tongue

'Murican Canadian