Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2017, 02:16 PM
RE: Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport
(08-01-2017 02:11 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 02:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am so happy for you. I remember a fun trip I had to the Boothill Graveyard and Jewish Memorial in AZ once.

Boothill graveyard in Tombstone? Did you tour the city as well? Lots of history. My wife and I have visited all of the Earp brother graves as well from Oregon to SoCal to Arizona. Big fan of both of the movies from the mid 90's.

I used to monitor some fuze work done by Motorola Scottsdale back in the mid-80s before we fired them. Entire goddam State is a desert. I guess if your joints can't take like any degree of humidity it's an option.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2017, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 02:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2017 02:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fun to see -- -the "Gun Law Scorecard" --- gives Illinois a "B+" for gun laws - http://gunlawscorecard.org/ - DESPITE the fact that Chicago now has more firearm deaths than any other city for 2016...

That's right -- they get a B+ despite having more gun deaths than L.A. and NYC combined...............

So, exactly what good are those laws doing????

From the chart you posted it looks like the highest death by gun rates are in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina. Now I don't know much about the gun laws in the various States but all of those States have like 5-7x the death by gun rate of Massachusetts. I do not think that chart helps make your point. Quite the opposite.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-01-2017, 02:51 PM
(08-01-2017 02:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 02:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fun to see -- -the "Gun Law Scorecard" --- gives Illinois a "B+" for gun laws - http://gunlawscorecard.org/ - DESPITE the fact that Chicago now has more firearm deaths than any other city for 2016...

That's right -- they get a B+ despite having more gun deaths than L.A. and NYC combined...............

From the chart you posted it looks like the highest death by gun rates are in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina. Now I don't know much about the gun laws in the various States but all of those States have like 5-7x the death by gun rate of Massachusetts. I do not think that chart helps make your point. Quite the opposite.

They like to lump all gun deaths together. Yes, in states with high gun ownership comes more gun suicides. I don't have my links on my phone to the CDC data but something like 65% of gun deaths are suicide. Of the remaining gun deaths (around 11,000 a year) almost 9,000 were gang related. So only about 2,100 are done by Joe America (Domestic violence, crimes of passion etc).

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
08-01-2017, 03:08 PM
When are we going to start taking mental illness seriously and helping the people afflicted with it instead of tossing them in the streets?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
(08-01-2017 02:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

really?? You don't think it makes the point??

I rather think it does.......

Chicago has strict gun laws (has for years) -- they've also got more gun deaths than L.A. and NYC -- who ALSO have strict gun laws..............

Guess what???

Those laws mean diddly squat to people breaking laws..... As earlier pointed out -- gun laws only effect THE LAW ABIDING.............

And yeah -- as LDH points out -- adding suicide deaths into the figures is pretty chickenshit.

Let's stick to gun violence in the figures, ok????

If you have to cook the books to prove your point, your point isn't valid.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
(08-01-2017 12:53 PM)skyking Wrote:  due process before or after they take the guns?

After.
Probable cause before.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2017, 04:11 PM
(08-01-2017 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 01:17 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Can we have it both ways? I doubt it. Either we keep guns from crazies or allow them to continue to be able to purchase in the name of medical privacy. I don't see a work around.

Additional gun control is not a slippery slope, what you are suggesting is the slippery slope. Next thing you know they'll require passing an "I am not an idiot" test and then all your guns now belong to us. Does the NRA also want a proficiency demonstration in the safe use and handling of firearms prior to possession?

The NRA wants everyone to be educated and safe - those are among their founding principles. They have long-standing education programs.
While you may not agree with them politically, they really do stand for those.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
So long as he wasn't able to smuggle any fresh fruits and vegetables, narcotics, or Kinder Eggs from Canada. That's what really matters.

'Murican Canadian
08-01-2017, 04:29 PM
(08-01-2017 07:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The "checked baggage" bit is a red herring, really....................

If the guy wants to shoot the place up - he can simply walk in the front door, pull out his gun and start blazing away. Who is going to stop him?

The fact that the gun was transported on the plane really doesn't have anything to do with the story -- it just gives the anti gun people something else to gripe about.

#6,797 on our list.

#1 is letting a crazy motherfucker have a gun in the first place.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
08-01-2017, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 05:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Additional gun control is not a slippery slope, what you are suggesting is the slippery slope. Next thing you know they'll require passing an "I am not an idiot" test and then all your guns now belong to us. Does the NRA also want a proficiency demonstration in the safe use and handling of firearms prior to possession?

The NRA wants everyone to be educated and safe - those are among their founding principles. They have long-standing education programs.

I hear you. Does the NRA feel strongly enough about it to demand a demonstration of some minimum level of education in the safe handling and use of guns prior to possession?

(08-01-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  While you may not agree with them politically, they really do stand for those.

I don't have a stand politically one way or the other and not sure it's pertinent anyway. I have neither the need nor desire to carry a weapon, for those that do more firepower to them. I got no gripe with the NRA, they are inarguably the best source of firearm education on the planet.

#sigh