Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2017, 04:45 PM
RE: Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport
(08-01-2017 04:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  The NRA wants everyone to be educated and safe - those are among their founding principles. They have long-standing education programs.

I hear you. Does the NRA feel strongly enough about it to demand a demonstration of some minimum level of education in the safe handling and use of guns prior to possession?

(08-01-2017 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  While you may not agree with them politically, they really do stand for those.

I don't have a stand politically one way or the other and not sure it's pertinent anyway.

"Safe handling" by whose standards????

There are those who insist that a gun must be stored in the home in a locked safe - with the ammo stored separately............

To me, that's just stupid. When I'm home, the SO and I are the only ones here.
My guns are loaded - and accessible to us when we are home. I lock them up, when we leave. (except for whatever I'm carrying)...

The NRA does offer safety courses - including those needed for carrying concealed. (for the states that require it).

But again--- this isn't about home use - and responsible ownership ----

It's about whackadoodle fuckheads who've played one too many games of Doom and now think the whole world is a video game --- or think that Allah, God, or the Great Fucking Pumpkin has given them permission to go kill infidels...............

It's not about law abiding citizens.

It never has been.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
(08-01-2017 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Safe handling" by whose standards????

By standards set by the NRA.

#sigh
08-01-2017, 04:47 PM
(08-01-2017 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Safe handling" by whose standards????

By standards set by the NRA.

One size doesn't fit all.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-01-2017, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 05:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2017 04:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  By standards set by the NRA.

One size doesn't fit all.

Fit all what? Are there different standards for basic general firearm use and handling? Should there be?

I personally don't understand the NRA's political positions. If I were them I would be lobbying for mandatory demonstration of competence prior to possession knowing full well that all of the States would accept a certificate of competence from the NRA. Membership would skyrocket. I guess they have their reasons.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Avoiding the 2nd Amendment argument, as it never ends....

Heard a little news snippet today on the radio about this act while driving around town today. The report indicated the Fed wasn't ready to say why that particular airport was targeted. They also weren't ready to specify why the suspect committed the act in the first place.

ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?

The where... who gives a shit. The why... religion
08-01-2017, 05:47 PM
(08-01-2017 04:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 04:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  One size doesn't fit all.

Fit all what? Are there different standards for basic general firearm use and handling? Should there be?

I personally don't understand the NRA's political positions. If I were them I would be lobbying for mandatory demonstration of competence prior to possession knowing full well that all of the States would accept a certificate of competence from the NRA. Membership would skyrocket. I guess they have their reasons.

Do you have kids in your house?

How about felons?

Any people with severe depression?

The standards of safety for a gun owner in any of these situations will be different from a single person living alone.

Then there's "states rights". Some states require unattended guns to be in a locked gun safe - under civil penalties in some, and even criminal in others. Other states assume that a person's home is sovereign - and gun storage is up to you.

That's just gun storage.

Usage of firearms change from state to state as well.

So - unless you're willing to throw states rights under a bus - the NRA won't be writing laws anytime soon....

08-01-2017, 07:33 PM
The NRA has safety programs, many of them. IIRC, in California (now- it didn't used to be this way) you have to take a safety course when you buy a firearm (or prove you have if you buy another, later). Of course, it does about as much good as telling that 16 year old boy to keep it cool with the Viper his dad rented for him to drive his girl to the prom in. Some people will treat the firearm with the respect it deserves, some will get really stupid with it. Some people steal the car or the gun and commit various levels of mayhem. Or the kid can do it himself. I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor for rifle and shotgun, from back when I was a volunteer leader for the BSA, and counseled for those merit badges. I used to hear stories all the time about how "Your guy at the gun range did blah blah". I'm not known for saying what I think, Rolleyes and I generally just ask the dumbass taking me to task if they made a complete stop at every stop sign, today. They usually got the message.
17-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Just as I said, the guy was a muslim. ISIS sympathizer.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/us/fort-la...index.html

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
17-01-2017, 01:59 PM
(17-01-2017 01:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Just as I said, the guy was a muslim. ISIS sympathizer.

It wasn't too likely that he was a interior decorator from Sweden.......

heh

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-01-2017, 02:11 PM
(17-01-2017 01:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Just as I said, the guy was a muslim. ISIS sympathizer.

So what?