Shooting at Munich shopping mall

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2016, 06:32 PM
RE: Shooting at Munich shopping mall
(22-07-2016 11:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2016 04:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We have only two options. Deal with mass shootings forever or get rid of the people with guns. Facepalm

From Wikipedia: Gun legislation in Germany is considered among the strictest gun control in the world.

What do you suggest? Consider

I strongly doubt that Paleophyte meant his comment seriously. He was just demonstrating how silly LDH's statement was -- by making an equally silly one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2016, 09:14 PM
From what I have gathered, though the shooter was a young men with some Turkish origin, he wasn't motivated by ISIS. In fact he was more akin to an extreme right. The shooter would have been found with documents describing and talking about Anders Breibik and half of his victims were Muslim themselves. He would have suffer from anti-turkish racism (very common in Germany where Turks decendent are basicaly the equivalent of blacks in the USA), but would identify himself as a German. He also attempted to lure his victims by creating a fake Facebook account and posing as a cute girl.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/...n-outside/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/...es-8474748

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
24-07-2016, 12:22 AM
Also -- ISIS claims not withstanding, any Muslim connection would likely be Shi'ite given the killer's background as an Iranian, if there is any religious connection at all, a claim of which I'm skeptical at this point.
24-07-2016, 08:53 AM
(24-07-2016 12:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Also -- ISIS claims not withstanding, any Muslim connection would likely be Shi'ite given the killer's background as an Iranian, if there is any religious connection at all, a claim of which I'm skeptical at this point.

The shooter would have converted to Christianity (or always was a Christian since he comes from a multi ethnical family) since had a Christian name.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
24-07-2016, 12:05 PM
(23-07-2016 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-07-2016 12:16 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  So...gun control doesn't work?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nothing works 100%. But mostly people without guns stab each other - There would be a lot less casualties if you tried to stab a bunch of people in a shopping mall. Someone would grab the stabber...

That's not entirely true... A person who is skilled with a knife can do a whole lot of damage in an unarmed crowd. If an attacker keeps things quiet - a crowd might not become aware anything's going on, for quite some time......

Of course - some moron who doesn't know what he's doing is going to have a bunch of screaming and yelling people on his hands......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-07-2016, 12:33 PM
(23-07-2016 06:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-07-2016 11:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  From Wikipedia: Gun legislation in Germany is considered among the strictest gun control in the world.

What do you suggest? Consider

I strongly doubt that Paleophyte meant his comment seriously. He was just demonstrating how silly LDH's statement was -- by making an equally silly one.

Hence the facepalm ending.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
24-07-2016, 01:57 PM
The Munich police released the following info:

The guy was "mobbed" (bullied) in school in 2012.

He was committed for two months in 2015 for anxiety and social phobias and depression.

He got the weapon over the internet. It was a police issue, made inoperable for theater use, and later switched back to a functioning weapon and sold out of Slovakia.

7 of 9 dead victims were of immigrant background. The police considers this coincidence as that Macdonalds was a hangout for immigrant youth.

He planned this for a year. The Norwegian shooter Anders Behring Breivik was his model.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-07-2016, 07:02 PM
(24-07-2016 12:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A person who is skilled with a knife can do a whole lot of damage in an unarmed crowd. If an attacker keeps things quiet - a crowd might not become aware anything's going on, for quite some time......

I'm not sure that knife "skills" come into the equation. It's very hard to mortally stab someone who's running away from you, let alone a dozen. People scatter almost immediately as the fight-or-flight response kicks in, usually causing the latter.

Only a deep body stab that hits an artery or a vital organ is gonna kill someone.

In 2013 (in the US) 1,490 people were killed with bladed weapons versus 8,454 killed with firearms. And the graph below illustrates yet another reason not to vote for Drumpf and effectively the NRA—who've endorsed him due to his current support of gun rights:

[Image: Gallup-Guns-Home-Safer.png]

—It's pretty obvious that statistically, knives don't cause nearly as many deaths as guns.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-07-2016, 07:49 PM
(24-07-2016 07:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 12:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A person who is skilled with a knife can do a whole lot of damage in an unarmed crowd. If an attacker keeps things quiet - a crowd might not become aware anything's going on, for quite some time......

I'm not sure that knife "skills" come into the equation. It's very hard to mortally stab someone who's running away from you, let alone a dozen. People scatter almost immediately as the fight-or-flight response kicks in, usually causing the latter.

Only a deep body stab that hits an artery or a vital organ is gonna kill someone.

In 2013 (in the US) 1,490 people were killed with bladed weapons versus 8,454 killed with firearms. And the graph below illustrates yet another reason not to vote for Drumpf and effectively the NRA—who've endorsed him due to his current support of gun rights:

—It's pretty obvious that statistically, knives don't cause nearly as many deaths as guns.

Dodgy

That graph shows that even among Democrats, the belief that guns make us safer is skyrocketing over the last 15 years. That's what, 62% of Americans overall? Perhaps it's the threat of terrorism that more people are turning to guns. Not sure.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-07-2016, 11:02 PM
(24-07-2016 07:02 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

Dodgy

I'm not going to argue your statistics, and I'm not really trying to bust our chops, just saying how I think about this. That said, I know many places less than 1/2" from the skin that can be cut that will definitely result in immediate (now)/near immediate (seconds) death. I will state that guns are far more efficient for the task of killing. It's why they are used on the battlefield.

Trump is the GOP candidate, thus "in the NRA's pocket", as far as most people are concerned. But I know many people who are staunch Democrats and pro-gun at the same time. I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I'm not going to get in one with anyone here about guns. The problem is societal, and until people, figure that out, they will be talking past each other until the end of time. This argument is on a par with religion/atheism and immigration. Neither side actually listens to what the other side says beyond some of the words uttered. Then it becomes rhetoric that supports that person's side. This is why I don't argue guns, religion or politics. Everyone has an axe to grind.