Shooting in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
RE: Shooting in Australia
(02-10-2015 10:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Pretty sure Australia has gun control, I doubt the veracity of this story.

The gun was almost certainly possessed illegally.

Are you trying to tell me that people who would break the law by killing people might also break laws against possessing firearms?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-10-2015, 11:42 PM
(02-10-2015 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  The gun was almost certainly possessed illegally.

Are you trying to tell me that people who would break the law by killing people might also break laws against possessing firearms?

Not sure if sarcasm or not at this point.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
(02-10-2015 11:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  The gun was almost certainly possessed illegally.

This is true... but a law against something does mean a. law enforcement can act where previously they couldn't b. means and opportunity are not as easy to come by for criminals - they have to *work* to get their jollies, it's a hell of a lot harder for them to operate if the laws are in place.

*this is all opinion and seems logical to me, your mileage may vary.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Australia: 15 year old shoots cop
America: 9940 shooting deaths so far this year
Gun advocates: See, gun control doesn't work.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
03-10-2015, 05:29 AM
(03-10-2015 05:22 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Australia: 15 year old shoots cop

False conclusion by selectively skewing data.

Australia has ALWAYS had a much lower firearm death rate than the USA - EVEN WHEN they were allowed to own guns -- to the tune of 20 times less likely, per capita.

If Australia allowed the ownership of guns - and the USA outright banned the private ownership of guns -- the USA would still likely have a higher homicide rate. But rather than getting shot, you'd get skewered by some pointy object....

I guess we just have more psychos...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-10-2015, 05:36 AM
It wouldn't work here because the demographic that makes up most of the military and law enforcement (you know, the ones you assume will enforce the rules) are predominantly pro second amendment, and many have already pledged to refuse to enforce federal regulations.

On a side note, anyone wanna watch Obama get Trump's dumb ass elected as he attempts a repeat of Bill Clinton's anti gun push towards the end of his term like the one that played a key part in getting Bush elected?

I would encourage people, regardless of their beliefs, to think tactically and take cause effect into consideration, for a change, before blindly jumping into this.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-10-2015, 05:42 AM
(03-10-2015 05:36 AM)yakherder Wrote:  On a side note, anyone wanna watch Obama get Trump's dumb ass elected as he attempts a repeat of Bill Clinton's anti gun push towards the end of his term like the one that played a key part in getting Bush elected?

I would encourage people, regardless of their beliefs, to think tactically and take cause effect into consideration, for a change, before blindly jumping into this.

So an anti-gun push by Obabma could put Trump's finger on the ultimate trigger. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me. No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-10-2015, 05:45 AM
(03-10-2015 05:36 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It wouldn't work here because the demographic that makes up most of the military and law enforcement (you know, the ones you assume will enforce the rules) are predominantly pro second amendment, and many have already pledged to refuse to enforce federal regulations.

On a side note, anyone wanna watch Obama get Trump's dumb ass elected as he attempts a repeat of Bill Clinton's anti gun push towards the end of his term like the one that played a key part in getting Bush elected?

I don't see President Obama actually trying to pass any gun control legislation. He's had plenty of chances already -- and he's a savvy politician who knows that gun control is the hot potato you don't want to get stuck with.

But what I do expect to see (based on history) - a massive jump in gun and ammo sales........

(Glad I don't work in a gun shop anymore... (no commission) )

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-10-2015, 07:57 AM
(02-10-2015 09:29 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 09:22 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This is not a habit of americas you want to copy guys

They are hardly copying when shooting deaths happen everywhere.

Just not nearly the numbers as america. At least westernized countries.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
03-10-2015, 07:59 AM
(03-10-2015 05:29 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 05:22 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Australia: 15 year old shoots cop

False conclusion by selectively skewing data.

Australia has ALWAYS had a much lower firearm death rate than the USA - EVEN WHEN they were allowed to own guns -- to the tune of 20 times less likely, per capita.

If Australia allowed the ownership of guns - and the USA outright banned the private ownership of guns -- the USA would still likely have a higher homicide rate. But rather than getting shot, you'd get skewered by some pointy object....

I guess we just have more psychos...

It's much harder to mass skewer Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post