Shooting in Australia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 02:34 PM
RE: Shooting in Australia
(03-10-2015 02:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 08:56 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Not my first choice. And it's not anarchy, it's the most armed group being in defacto control, as it's always been. Hence the reason the people should ideally be better armed than the government if they value their sovereignty.

Do you live on a commune in Oregon? Big Grin

Anyway, one cannot have rational conversations with Americans regarding guns. Laughat

Sits quietly awaiting the next American mass shooting. Drinking Beverage

Nah, too religiously oriented for my taste. I did some searching around for more secular militia groups, but not much luck. Typical first world problem.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2015, 02:36 PM
(03-10-2015 08:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 07:59 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It's much harder to mass skewer Tongue

I don't buy that Americans are more psychotic than other nations.

For those who pledge to refuse to enforce legislation - isn't that *exactly* what Kim Davis got jailed for? Not doing her sworn duty? That's pretty goddamn stupid, if you pledge that even if the law is passed you won't obey it. That amounts to saying that democracy is just for show.

Well, it's called civil disobedience and it has a long history in the U.S.

Their justification would be that a ban would be unconstitutional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2015, 02:39 PM
(03-10-2015 10:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 05:36 AM)yakherder Wrote:  [...]and many have already pledged to refuse to enforce federal regulations.[...]

Throw 'em in the brig when they violate their oath, then. A lawful order must be followed -- period.

Except there will more than one and they will be heavily armed. Throwing 'em in the brig won't be easy, it will be messy and largely unsuccessful.

03-10-2015, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 03:07 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(03-10-2015 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 10:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Throw 'em in the brig when they violate their oath, then. A lawful order must be followed -- period.

Except there will more than one and they will be heavily armed. Throwing 'em in the brig won't be easy, it will be messy and largely unsuccessful.

I personally don't think the number will be that large, myself, should such an order come to pass. Armed insurrection is a serious crime and I think that will dissuade many.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-10-2015, 03:14 PM
(03-10-2015 02:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 08:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  I don't buy that Americans are more psychotic than other nations.

For those who pledge to refuse to enforce legislation - isn't that *exactly* what Kim Davis got jailed for? Not doing her sworn duty? That's pretty goddamn stupid, if you pledge that even if the law is passed you won't obey it. That amounts to saying that democracy is just for show.

Well, it's called civil disobedience and it has a long history in the U.S.

Their justification would be that a ban would be unconstitutional.

Whether that justification will serve as a legal defense is open to conjecture, and such a consideration will likely factor into the decision of each putative rebel.
03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
(03-10-2015 03:04 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 02:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except there will more than one and they will be heavily armed. Throwing 'em in the brig won't be easy, it will be messy and largely unsuccessful.

I personally don't think the number will be that large, myself, should such an order come to pass. Armed insurrection is a serious crime and I think that will dissuade many.

We have some active and former military people here. It would be interesting to hear their perspective.

03-10-2015, 04:39 PM
So.....

As a beginning point. I have friends who own guns. Ranging from revolvers, target pistols to rifles. I have a friend who owns a 'small' brass cannon.

In this country it is mandatory that one has all their fire arms registered with the authorities. They even have to keep records of cartridges fired per month and regularly report/show said details to the police.

It is also required by the law fro all guns to be kept locked within secured safes at all times (Sanse transport to range/cleaning) people tend to 'buddy up' since getting a gun safe built/installed into your home is also expensive. (No "Keeping gun in bed-side drawer for 'home defense'." here)

Here's another fun fact. The authorities actively monitor said registered people's recorded health.

If it becomes known that a person has become depressed... or has court recorded violence/restraining orders?

Then the Police do come and remove any guns from said person's home.

Now, here's were it gets personally interesting. Since a couple of my friends have budded up, they keep their rifles and hand guns within the same safe on the same property. Another family relation of one said friend has been through some recent hard times and sadly is fighting depression.

The Police went to said property and (a) Checked on the state of said weapons. (b) Ensured there was a second property known to said friends with another weapon's locker/safe. © Had all said guns moved from the first property to the second, away from said person who has been diagnosed with depression. Even coming to one of said friends at work, confirming their details, their details about their guns and the details of the move etc.

Personally, while it's probably a royal pain in the butt paper-work wise? Something like that makes me feel a lot safer about people owning guns in my country.

As for the youth who's sadly passed on after perpetrating a violent crime? There is much to be investigated about such event before an average Joe like me is really going to comment.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
03-10-2015, 11:50 PM
(03-10-2015 02:32 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I really do not appreciate and take offence you generalizing Americans as these gun toting southern rednecks who keep Shotguns in their pickup trucks and have nothing good to attribute to the world. Not all Americans are like that.

WHAT??? Huh !!?!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-10-2015, 11:50 PM
(03-10-2015 04:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 03:04 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I personally don't think the number will be that large, myself, should such an order come to pass. Armed insurrection is a serious crime and I think that will dissuade many.

We have some active and former military people here. It would be interesting to hear their perspective.

You're hearing from one of them right now. I know the seriousness with which I and my fellows took our oath, including the clause about lawful orders. But our indoctrination on that clause was in the context of the Geneva Convention, not issuing opinions on the interpretation of the Constitution, and this topic was discussed in our BS sessions.
03-10-2015, 11:59 PM
(03-10-2015 11:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 02:32 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I really do not appreciate and take offence you generalizing Americans as these gun toting southern rednecks who keep Shotguns in their pickup trucks and have nothing good to attribute to the world. Not all Americans are like that.

WHAT??? Huh !!?!

It's true, only person who I know owns a gun is my brother, because he hunts so he owns a hunting rifle, other than that only gun I have seen with my own eyes were on cops.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze