Short And Sweet Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Short And Sweet Introduction
Hey Dr. Phil! I can't wait to get some advice from you.

Welcome to TTA!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: Short And Sweet Introduction
Welcome Phil!

I was an avowed atheist some 30 years ago in the USN. Dogtags say "NO PREF" under religion 'cause I guess their dogtag tool and die didn't support atheist then. I hear they do now. Never encountered a lick of discrimination because of it.

(03-09-2012 10:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey Dr. Phil! I can't wait to get some advice from you.

I've always pictured you more of a Jerry Springer Show sorta guy.

(03-09-2012 08:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 05:12 AM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  Somebody always has jokes Smile... and it's actually a desk, thank you.

Ah, yes, the Chairborne Rangers.

Piloting drones from continents away in air-conditioned bunkers. That's even more badass than dropping in on them for dinner unannounced. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow! Thank you all.

(03-09-2012 10:00 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Welcome, Phil.

With all the stories about Evangelical proselytizing in the Air Force, it'll be great to get your insider perspective.

You're probably already familiar with the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.

Nice to see the Ingersoll quote.

I am stationed in Colorado Springs where the Air Force Academy is. I assume you are talking about the proselytizing at the Academy? I am not personally there, but I have heard a few reports.

As for the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, I have not heard of them yet. All I've really found was MAAF (Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers). I have yet to look into either very thoroughly.

Lastly, yes! Ingersoll's words were with me constantly on my path to Atheism. They really helped me see the world on an equal scale instead of the skewed one I had lived with for so long.

(03-09-2012 10:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey Dr. Phil! I can't wait to get some advice from you.

Welcome to TTA!

Ha! Thanks. No TV show or paid advice here though I'm afraid. I'll do my best though!

(03-09-2012 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome Phil!

I was an avowed atheist some 30 years ago in the USN. Dogtags say "NO PREF" under religion 'cause I guess their dogtag tool and die didn't support atheist then. I hear they do now. Never encountered a lick of discrimination because of it.

Thank you for your service. My dogtags have said "NO REL PREF" since I came in in 2008. I actually just updated my paperwork to say "ATHEIST" now. It was very therapeutic actually. Not really earthshaking but it felt good inside to make that leap.

Unfortunately since I "came out" I have noticed some hostility and just a general sense of "We're not friends anymore" with some of my good buddies in the service. I find it sad because I would still willingly take a bullet for them. I honestly can't say for sure if they would for me.

Again, thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I can't wait to further my thoughts and ideas with all of you!

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like TheDoctorPhil's post
03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
(03-09-2012 09:55 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  I am stationed in Colorado Springs . . .

If you happen to run into James Dobson, give him the finger for me, OK? Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
(03-09-2012 10:17 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 09:55 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  I am stationed in Colorado Springs . . .

If you happen to run into James Dobson, give him the finger for me, OK? Wink

Will do. I hate driving by his place out here.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes TheDoctorPhil's post
05-09-2012, 12:41 AM
(04-09-2012 08:51 PM)TheDoctorPhil Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 10:17 PM)cufflink Wrote:  If you happen to run into James Dobson, give him the finger for me, OK? Wink

Will do. I hate driving by his place out here.

You realise you have to shove it right in? No waving from a few feet away or anything Big Grin

Welcome to TTA by the way Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Listen, can I get some advic*gets shot*

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Everytime I see this thread (sorry, didn't stop in yet) I read it as 'sweet and short indoctrination', ha ha. You know, as opposed to the bitter and long ones. Wink

Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
05-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Welcome, welcome.
Make yourself at home.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Tennessee are you from?

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service to our country.