Short (but sweet) Facebook debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2011, 02:35 AM
RE: Short (but sweet) Facebook debate
Truth buzzer? That reminds me that many TV game shows have a bell ring for a true answer and a buzzer for a false answer. That pastor is deliberately trying to steer you the wrong way. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2011, 08:47 PM

(18-01-2011 08:48 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Fucking Pastors, how do they work?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this "truth buzzer." Where is it located in my heart, exactly? By what mechanisms does it operate?

That was quite a read. I've ended up on a pastor's email list, and am still trying to find a good way to respond to some of the bullshit I see on a regular basis. None of it is directed to me, I only get the mass mailings, but there's still plenty of bullshit.

the buzzer works and is powered by foolishness
Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Pastors like that one are what reiterate the notion that Christianity is a cult, and the Christ of their faith would be embarrassed they use his name to promote such exclusivist arrogance. Rolleyes

It's like any other cult. Thinking the whole world would be better if everyone in it adhered to their particular principles. And it's funny because of all the sectarian infighting that goes on as Christians can't even find community in belief. "Jesus loves us best!"

Then again, the first of that Pastor's statement is very telling. He'd rather set aside the intellect and then hope to have an intellect after life, so as to face the fact he lived as a fool. Than exercise rational discretion and live free when it counts.
Good for him. While he's distracted, the rest of us can have fun without adhering to masochistic principles and bowing to a universal sadist, hoping to genuflect just enough to warrant amending that omniscient destiny omnipotence plotted out for us before we were born from it.

Idiots!
There's a reason they're called sheep.
Stupid animals. Easily fleeced, incapable of free thought, possessed of a herd intellect and damn tasty with a side of mint sauce. Tongue

Care for a plate Pastor?Wink
23-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Nothing like the good old truth buzzer! I know what he means by it, and I have experienced it before. "Truth Buzzer", is a bit of a misnomer. Really, it's a "I-like-this-idea Buzzer".

You see, the Truth Buzzer may go off when after you doctor told you that you have cancer, and you tell yourself it was a mistake. It may go off when you tell yourself that your spouse if faithful, after watching them cheat on you. The Truth Buzzer goes off then you like an idea, or the alternative is not something that you want to live with.

Rational people who opt to live in reality tend to ignore the Truth Buzzer. Helps them operate in reality a lot better when they are willing to take the world as is, and not try to pretend it's something it's not.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
23-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I felt my truth-buzzer go off the day I started thinking to myself: "maybe God doesn't exist."

But more than likely that was my Satan-buzzer. I always get the two confused.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
23-01-2011, 06:29 PM
(22-01-2011 09:38 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Idiots!
There's a reason they're called sheep.
Stupid animals. Easily fleeced, incapable of free thought, possessed of a herd intellect and damn tasty with a side of mint sauce. Tongue

I don't wanna taste crazy Xtians though. They probably taste all nasty and hateful. And fatty.

Was that out loud? Blush

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
23-01-2011, 08:12 PM
You forgot greasy.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-01-2011, 06:57 AM

eating Xtians may make you shake and speak in tongues. Tongue
24-01-2011, 11:02 PM
(24-01-2011 06:57 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  eating Xtians may make you shake and speak in tongues. Tongue

Would I lose all sense of logic and reason also? Gah! Are they contagious if you eat them?? Confused

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
25-01-2011, 12:32 AM

I hate conversations with self righteous bastards like that. I prefer my pastor with Bolognaise sauce. I wouldn't have even given the concession about the teachings of Jesus. Most of it is vile wibble anyway. Still, good on you for facing him off!