Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2016, 01:48 PM
RE: Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument
(02-04-2016 01:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 07:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. I ASKED YOU (in light of YOUR "universality" assertion) what "belief MEANS, in the absence of language". Answer the question.

Since I never claimed that individuals who lack a language, can believe anything, I'm not sure why you're directing that question at me? As if I'm suppose to have an answer for that.

Perhaps you should be directing that question at those who assume that it's possible that animals like Dolphins are able to contemplate where they came from, without language.

Since you claim humans are unique as the only animal that can contemplate its own existence, demonstrate this with evidence. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2016, 01:49 PM
(02-04-2016 01:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 01:45 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Since I never claimed that individuals who lack a language, can believe anything, I'm not sure why you're directing that question at me? As if I'm suppose to have an answer for that.

Perhaps you should be directing that question at those who assume that it's possible that animals like Dolphins are able to contemplate where they came from, without language.

Since you claim humans are unique as the only animal that can contemplate its own existence, demonstrate this with evidence. Drinking Beverage

And after that, explain the significance of this factoid and its relation to your mythology and imaginary friend(s). Drinking Beverage

-Rick
02-04-2016, 01:58 PM
(02-04-2016 01:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  [quote='Tomasia' pid='973770' dateline='1459626328']

What's your view? You lack a belief one way or the other?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-04-2016, 02:01 PM
(02-04-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 01:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  [quote='Tomasia' pid='973770' dateline='1459626328']

Just waiting on your answers/explanations for your bullshit. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
02-04-2016, 02:19 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evasion_(ethics)
See "question dodging" # 2, section 2.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-04-2016, 02:19 PM
(02-04-2016 02:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What's your view? You lack a belief one way or the other?

Just waiting on your answers/explanations for your bullshit. Drinking Beverage

And I'm waiting on hearing your take on it. I already stated my view.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-04-2016, 02:20 PM
If other animals can't contemplate their own existence, why do they avoid danger? wounded animals always try to find a safe haven to recover in.

There must be a certain level of consciousness with regards to their lives otherwise there would be a mountain of flat hedgehogs by the side of every road.

Why do animals bother to protect their young? you may think other animals are just mindless breeding machines, but do you really know how your dog, cat or hamster views you?

How do you know your rabbit isn't thinking .. 'I wish he would feed me more often' or 'please stop smoking near my hutch'?
02-04-2016, 02:22 PM
(02-04-2016 02:19 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 02:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Just waiting on your answers/explanations for your bullshit. Drinking Beverage

And I'm waiting on hearing your take on it. I already stated my view.

You asserted a load of bullshit and I am asking for the evidence to back up your assertions.

Tommy dodges and evades and...nothing else new happening today, huh? Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-04-2016, 04:10 PM

He's asking you for evidence; belief has no bearing on this - why are you asking?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
(02-04-2016 05:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 08:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  P1. An atheist is someone who has no belief in a god.
P2. An infant without language has no belief in a god.

C. An infant is an atheist.

I fail to see what's "interesting" about something so obvious.

Can an infant without language contemplate where they came from?

Can a dolphin without language contemplate where they came from?

I'm sorry, what the fuck?

Why are you asking questions with wording that is conflating or thinking of animals such as dolphins as not having language? Or should you of said infant dolphins too? Is that what you're talking about?

Dolphins have language... what is up with your frequent leading statements of other life? You seem quite abrasive when just leaping to make some point.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson