Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 10:37 AM
RE: Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument
(03-04-2016 10:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 06:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's interesting when people don't understand why a question was asked, draw assumptions about it. Usually based on their own religious prejudices.

Which shows that you utterly missed the point. That's par for the course and why I long ago gave up attempting any sort of conversation with you. I was not attempting to respond to any question you asked, I was commenting on a phenomena that I have observed. Your opinion of my motives or what influences my thinking is as irrelevant as it is laughable.

Okay. I accept your clarification that you weren't referring to me.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 10:41 AM
(03-04-2016 10:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 09:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "But I have no hard evidence to offer."

You have no evidence of any kind to offer.

"Inductive reasoning. "

No. You assert and believe in the absence of evidence. This is confirmation bias generated by your assumption that your ignorance is as good as my knowledge.

"I also don't have any hard evidence to offer a solipsist that minds outside of his own exist."

You assert claims that can be tested and generate evidence, but in reality they do not generate any evidence to back up your claims. This is not equivalent to a philosophical quandary. You're just wrong.

"But I'm surprised people disagree with me here, so I'm interested in hearing people share their stance, whether they lack a belief one way or other, lean towards one position or the other, etc... I also think there's a contradiction between individuals who claim that infants are atheists, and that dolphins have possibly contemplated their origins. These are the only points I'm interested in. I'm not interested in any other argument others may want to draw me into."

You're the moron who claimed that these aren't true, and it has been pointed out to you that there is:
1) no reason to believe that you are correct (you admit to having exactly 0 evidence for your bullshit)
2) evidence has been presented to demonstrate that the animals you assume don't have the mental faculties of humans, are smarter than you think they are and capable of more than you give them credit for
3) that the assertions of infants being atheists is correct through the definition of what atheism is. It is a lack of a belief in a god and infants lack god beliefs. It is really fucking simple but apparently too complex for the pea bouncing about inside your skull.

I stated the view that dolphins and other animals likely don't contemplate their origin. If someone believes otherwise that they possible do, I'd like to know how that's possible absent of a language to ask that question. Also I'd like to hear from those who believe this is possible, but claim that children lack a belief in God/s, to resolve that apparent contradiction between the two positions.

You on the other hand have yet to express a view one way or the other. You haven't stated whether you think it's possible that they do, or whether you hold to a lack a belief one way or the other. What is it? You also haven't stated what the default position here would be, if it we have no hard evidence one way or the other.

But knowing you, you'll avoid answering this, and continue on with your tirades.

Are you actually going to share your take on the question here, or are you just going to focus all your energy on me?

"I stated the view that dolphins and other animals likely don't contemplate their origin. If someone believes otherwise that they possible do, I'd like to know how that's possible absent of a language to ask that question. Also I'd like to hear from those who believe this is possible, but claim that children lack a belief in God/s, to resolve that apparent contradiction between the two positions. "

Shifting of the burden of proof Drinking Beverage

This is as pathetic as it has ever been with you.

"You on the other hand have yet to express a view one way or the other. You haven't stated whether you think it's possible that they do, or whether you hold to a lack a belief one way or the other. What is it? You also haven't stated what the default position here would be, if it we have no hard evidence one way or the other. "

I have expressed my opinion on the special status of humans and other animals, that we aren't Drinking Beverage

As for whether or not other animals "contemplate their own existence," not only is it irrelevant to the discussion, but one would assume that the casual observation of the self-preservationalist actions of animals would be enough evidence that self-aware animals do indeed contemplate their own existence.

"But knowing you, you'll avoid answering this, and continue on with your tirades. "

Laugh out load
Oh man, pot calling the kettle black
Laugh out load

"Are you actually going to share your take on the question here, or are you just going to focus all your energy on me?"

I'm still wondering what your red herrings have to do with the observations of life's origins and the evolution of life on Earth. Consider

No one cares about your god or your superstitions or your ignorance.

Why are you here again? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-04-2016, 10:44 AM
"...or are you just going to focus all your energy on me?"

Laugh out load

A conceited and self-centered theist? Someone call Ripley's!

I have already responded to the OP and await their reengagement, but in the meantime, your ignorance begs response because it is almost too stupid to believe it is genuine.

-Rick
03-04-2016, 10:46 AM
(03-04-2016 10:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "...or are you just going to focus all your energy on me?"

Laugh out load

No just going off of your once stated intentions.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-04-2016, 10:48 AM
(03-04-2016 10:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 10:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "...or are you just going to focus all your energy on me?"

Laugh out load

No just going off of your once stated intentions.

The Earth revolves around the Sun, not you Laugh out load

-Rick
03-04-2016, 10:49 AM
duplicate post

03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
(03-04-2016 10:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I stated the view that dolphins and other animals likely don't contemplate their origin. If someone believes otherwise that they possible do, I'd like to know how that's possible absent of a language to ask that question.

Asked and answered. Do you even read our replies? Consider

Dolphins appear to be self-aware; dolphins have language.
Besides which, why cannot contemplation be accomplished entirely with images?

Quote:Also I'd like to hear from those who believe this is possible, but claim that children lack a belief in God/s, to resolve that apparent contradiction between the two positions.

There is no contradiction. I have never had a belief in any gods and, remarkably, I was once a child. Drinking Beverage

Quote:You on the other hand have yet to express a view one way or the other. You haven't stated whether you think it's possible that they do, or whether you hold to a lack a belief one way or the other. What is it? You also haven't stated what the default position here would be, if it we have no hard evidence one way or the other.

Why must there be a default position other than "we don't know yet"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
(03-04-2016 11:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 10:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I stated the view that dolphins and other animals likely don't contemplate their origin. If someone believes otherwise that they possible do, I'd like to know how that's possible absent of a language to ask that question.

Asked and answered. Do you even read our replies? Consider

There's multiple individuals responding, who don't all seem to share the same view.

Quote:There is no contradiction. I have never had a belief in any gods and, remarkably, I was once a child. Drinking Beverage....

[quote]Why must there be a default position other than "we don't know yet"?

That was directed towards TheBeardedGuy, who often appeals to a default position in situation where no good evidence exists.

Would you say that when it comes to infants and very young children, excluding yourself, that we don't know whether they lack a belief in God or not? Same as we might say of Dolphins.

03-04-2016, 12:23 PM
(03-04-2016 11:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 11:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  Asked and answered. Do you even read our replies? Consider

There's multiple individuals responding, who don't all seem to share the same view.

Quote:There is no contradiction. I have never had a belief in any gods and, remarkably, I was once a child. Drinking Beverage....

[quote]Why must there be a default position other than "we don't know yet"?

That was directed towards TheBeardedGuy, who often appeals to a default position in situation where no good evidence exists.

Would you say that when it comes to infants and very young children, excluding yourself, that we don't know whether they lack a belief in God or not? Same as we might say of Dolphins.

Your straw man is bad and you should feel bad.

What "default positions" do I adhere to?

-Rick
03-04-2016, 12:52 PM
(03-04-2016 12:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 11:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's multiple individuals responding, who don't all seem to share the same view.

Your straw man is bad and you should feel bad.

What "default positions" do I adhere to?

Perhaps you missed it:

"You also haven't stated what the default position here would be.....