Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 12:54 PM
RE: Shortcomings of the "probability of life" argument
(03-04-2016 12:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your straw man is bad and you should feel bad.

What "default positions" do I adhere to?

Perhaps you missed it:

"You also haven't stated what the default position here would be.....

Hold on, let me get this straight. I adhere, commonly, to default positions and the example you use is one where there is no stated default position?

Are you really this dumb or are you trying extra hard?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Are you dumb enough to equate "default positions" with asking people to back up their claims and meet their burden of proof? Laugh out load

-Rick
03-04-2016, 12:58 PM
(03-04-2016 12:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Are you dumb enough to equate "default positions" with asking people to back up their claims and meet their burden of proof? Laugh out load

I don't recall suggesting that.

I just asked what your default position here would be.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Speaking of default... I'm really still confused why tomsasia continues to keep asking and proclaiming questions as if it's the default standard to think Dolphin's don't have language... where did this idea to him even come from? These views of life in these manners is rather concerning.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-04-2016, 01:02 PM
(03-04-2016 12:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Speaking of default... I'm really still confused why tomsasia continues to keep asking and proclaiming questions as if it's the default standard to think Dolphin's don't have language... where did this idea to him even come from? These views of life in these manners is rather concerning.

And I'm still confused as to when questions get to be read as statements.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-04-2016, 01:04 PM
(03-04-2016 01:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Speaking of default... I'm really still confused why tomsasia continues to keep asking and proclaiming questions as if it's the default standard to think Dolphin's don't have language... where did this idea to him even come from? These views of life in these manners is rather concerning.

When they are rhetorical.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-04-2016, 01:05 PM
(03-04-2016 12:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 12:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Are you dumb enough to equate "default positions" with asking people to back up their claims and meet their burden of proof? Laugh out load

I don't recall suggesting that.

I just asked what your default position here would be.

You don't recall suggesting what? Because you still haven't explained:
1) what default positions I hold or what you mean by that
2) the relevance of your red herrings wrt the OP
3) why your red herrings matter anyways wrt the existence of anything other than the natural world

Also, I have answered the question about what my views are wrt consciousness and self awareness in other animal species. You'll have to actually read my posts to find it. So, start by removing your head from your ass and your fingers from your ears

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-04-2016, 01:05 PM

When your questions contain baseless assumptions, the questions become irrelevant statements about your bias and ignorance.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-04-2016, 01:07 PM

Do you still beat your wife Tomasia?

Geez, are you this dense to not grasp how often you do LEADING questions with assertions int he question... I've never thought you were that stupid before. I figure you must of gotten bored and began trolling now. Or you've been reading too many agnostic shane posts.

When you say, How can dolphins do x without language, how can dolphins do x without language... and multiple people say, dude, that's not accurate.. at all. And you keep on questioning using that. It's just blatant no respect deserving ignorance. That never had a basis for being made as an analogy or comparable to begin with. I just don't get why you ever thought that made sense as a statement or thought anyway. Dolphins are even shown to be able to understand abstract thought as well.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
03-04-2016, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 01:27 PM by Tomasia.)
(03-04-2016 01:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You don't recall suggesting what? Because you still haven't explained:
1) what default positions I hold or what you mean by that

Don't know, thats why i asked you what you believe the default position here should be.

Quote:2) the relevance of your red herrings wrt the OP

Don't recall since, someone else brought up the dolphin thing, in response to one of my post here a few days ago, and I had some questions about that.

Quote:3) why your red herrings matter anyways wrt the existence of anything other than the natural world

My own curiosities.

Quote:Also, I have answered the question about what my views are wrt consciousness and self awareness in other animal species. You'll have to actually read my posts to find it.

No, there doesn't seem to be any post of yours where you expressed your views on whether you think dolphins, and other non-human animals, without a language have possibly contemplated questions about their origin. You've had numerous opportunities to express your views on the topic, but pleaded the 5th instead.

So I don't know, whether you hold a view here, or just lack a view oneway or the other.