Shots fired in Dallas during protest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: Shots fired in Dallas during protest.
(08-07-2016 08:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If they wore heavier external armour, they'd look like the bad guys in all those riot pictures that the media seems to love. So the softer armour is also worn for the purpose of not causing unnecessary escalation. They've got better armour. But if they'd showed up to an assumed peaceful protest in full assault gear, the media would have crucified them.

Depends on where they show up. Apparently, if you show up in a black neighborhood in Baton Rouge, that's okay:

https://www.facebook.com/RevNews/videos/...467783085/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Shots fired in Dallas during protest.
Aren't more White people killed rack year than any other group? It's fucked up no matter what you look like but aren't cops guilty of killing everyone?
11-07-2016, 09:34 AM
(11-07-2016 09:27 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Aren't more White people killed rack year than any other group? It's fucked up no matter what you look like but aren't cops guilty of killing everyone?

It's not really about the deaths. It's about the entire approach used by police officers when dealing with black versus with (most) white people they stop. Because several studies have shown that police tend to view black youth (especially) as older, more dangerous, more criminal, and more threatening than whites, it leads to problematic outcomes, only one of which is death by firing squad.

Look at every video you've ever seen of a cop shooting a black man, and try to imagine that happening to a white guy. Or a white woman.

It doesn't matter that it also happens to white people. It matters that there's a difference between the standard interaction with one group versus another, the same as can be shown in the justice system's outcome for a black defendant versus a white one, in terms of severity of sentence for the same crime. If a person responded to that with "but white people go to prison, too!", we'd rightfully look at them like they lost their minds.

ETA: And as a white person who has had several bad interactions with police (mainly because I had long hair and/or ride a motorcycle in black leathers), as well as a 9-year resident of the prison system, I agree that the American approach to policing needs a major revision.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-07-2016, 10:10 AM
(11-07-2016 09:34 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:27 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Aren't more White people killed rack year than any other group? It's fucked up no matter what you look like but aren't cops guilty of killing everyone?

It's not really about the deaths. It's about the entire approach used by police officers when dealing with black versus with (most) white people they stop. Because several studies have shown that police tend to view black youth (especially) as older, more dangerous, more criminal, and more threatening than whites, it leads to problematic outcomes, only one of which is death by firing squad.

Look at every video you've ever seen of a cop shooting a black man, and try to imagine that happening to a white guy. Or a white woman.

It doesn't matter that it also happens to white people. It matters that there's a difference between the standard interaction with one group versus another, the same as can be shown in the justice system's outcome for a black defendant versus a white one, in terms of severity of sentence for the same crime. If a person responded to that with "but white people go to prison, too!", we'd rightfully look at them like they lost their minds.

ETA: And as a white person who has had several bad interactions with police (mainly because I had long hair and/or ride a motorcycle in black leathers), as well as a 9-year resident of the prison system, I agree that the American approach to policing needs a major revision.

I agree with the thrust of the points you make for the most part. My own personal experience tells me a different story; but I attribute it to the fact that these incidents, as prominent as they seem, are relatively rare. I am willing to allow they are much much more common in the inner cities and nearby areas.

The last point you make, has been borne out, just by watching youtube. Since the emergence videos of cop killings and violence, it is obvious to me that the police in the US seem have a training that leads them to treat the population at large(black, white, red, brown) as an enemy. They simply cannot countenance that they can be in the wrong and change their minds even when it is obvious.

When you see cops violently slam people(of all backgrounds), including expectant mothers, on the ground or the hood of a car. Even when they are cooperating or clearly confused but not uncooperative. Gratuitous violence. Worse than even in some third world countries. How that improves their own safety is beyond me.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
11-07-2016, 10:45 AM
(11-07-2016 10:10 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:34 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's not really about the deaths. It's about the entire approach used by police officers when dealing with black versus with (most) white people they stop. Because several studies have shown that police tend to view black youth (especially) as older, more dangerous, more criminal, and more threatening than whites, it leads to problematic outcomes, only one of which is death by firing squad.

I agree with the thrust of the points you make for the most part. My own personal experience tells me a different story; but I attribute it to the fact that these incidents, as prominent as they seem, are relatively rare. I am willing to allow they are much much more common in the inner cities and nearby areas.

The last point you make, has been borne out, just by watching youtube. Since the emergence videos of cop killings and violence, it is obvious to me that the police in the US seem have a training that leads them to treat the population at large(black, white, red, brown) as an enemy. They simply cannot countenance that they can be in the wrong and change their minds even when it is obvious.

When you see cops violently slam people(of all backgrounds), including expectant mothers, on the ground or the hood of a car. Even when they are cooperating or clearly confused but not uncooperative. Gratuitous violence. Worse than even in some third world countries. How that improves their own safety is beyond me.

Go join a police force in a major US city.....

Come back in a year, and tell us if your opinion has changed......

Any takers?????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-07-2016, 10:51 AM
(11-07-2016 10:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Go join a police force in a major US city.....

Any takers?????

Major US city... such as Baltimore?

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-07-2016, 10:53 AM
(11-07-2016 10:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:10 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I agree with the thrust of the points you make for the most part. My own personal experience tells me a different story; but I attribute it to the fact that these incidents, as prominent as they seem, are relatively rare. I am willing to allow they are much much more common in the inner cities and nearby areas.

Go join a police force in a major US city.....

Any takers?????

What does this do to fix the problem dumbfuck? How is this helpful? Since when does one need to be a cop to be able to see the major problems the US has with it's militarised police force? But then what do should we expect from you given your position on other much less controversial positions.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-07-2016, 01:02 PM
(11-07-2016 10:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Go join a police force in a major US city.....

Any takers?????

What does this do to fix the problem dumbfuck? How is this helpful? Since when does one need to be a cop to be able to see the major problems the US has with it's militarised police force? But then what do should we expect from you given your position on other much less controversial positions.

Yeah --- trying to see something from someone else's view is ALWAYS a bad idea....

If anyone doubts it -- I'm sure you'll tell them so.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-07-2016, 01:15 PM
(11-07-2016 01:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 10:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What does this do to fix the problem dumbfuck? How is this helpful? Since when does one need to be a cop to be able to see the major problems the US has with it's militarised police force? But then what do should we expect from you given your position on other much less controversial positions.

Yeah --- trying to see something from someone else's view is ALWAYS a bad idea....

Except that is not what your dumbass was doing, you were making an appeal to authority. Only Cops can have opinions on this subject. Which, of course, is utter bullshit. Now the only question left is are you really this fucking stupid or are you just dishonest? I lean towards just that stupid given the plethora of evidence you have left all over this board.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-07-2016, 01:20 PM
(11-07-2016 01:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 01:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah --- trying to see something from someone else's view is ALWAYS a bad idea....

Except that is not what your dumbass was doing, you were making an appeal to authority. Only Cops can have opinions on this subject. Which, of course, is utter bullshit. Now the only question left is are you really this fucking stupid or are you just dishonest? I lean towards just that stupid given the plethora of evidence you have left over this board.

Spin away, genius.....

I try seeing it from the other side -- seeing I've got a couple of friends and neighbors that ARE cops (as were a few relatives) .....

You I suspect, are more comfortable around reactionaries, protestors and other malcontents.......................

Just stay on your side of the fence...