Should Atheists Be Hitting the Panic Button?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Should Atheists Be Hitting the Panic Button?
The data in the linked article is worth discussing. It shows percentage of those raised in a faith who remain in that faith as an adult. Note that "atheists" are listed erroneously as a "faith" but also having the lowest "retention" rate. What do you make of this?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/philosophic...ic-button/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: Should Atheists Be Hitting the Panic Button?
Errr, I don't know how you guys do it in the US but in Europe a study like this usually has to say how they've collected their data and will be scrutinized for it because it can easily create an increadible bias. So i'd like to know. If the study is something like "Do you dislike Diablo 3?" You'll get a majority saying they dislike it. Why? Because the ones who like it aren't going to bother with the study, they're busy enjoying the game!

Same with religion. Try asking on the street in Norway if you've retained the religion you were brought up in. Do you know who's going to bother answering that study? Religious people. The rest just don't care and aren't going to spent time filling out a survey about something that doesn't concern them in the least. So people who've remained atheists will be underrepresented, converts will be overrepresented.
17-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote: But take a special look at that number at the bottom of the pile, yes the very bottom. Atheists“retain” only thirty percent of their “flock.” To quote the CARA blog: And if you think it is challenging to be a Catholic parent, try being an Atheist parent! Some 70% of Americans raised to believe God does not exist end up being a member of a religion as an adult (about one in five former Atheists drift off to become an open-minded agnostic or None). N.B this number reflects only those raised as Atheists. A large number of Atheists in this Country are “made” in the sense that they were raised to believe but now are Atheists. It remains to study how many of them remain atheists and for how long.

~from
http://blog.adw.org/2012/07/did-you-know...from-cara/

Looks like they spun the data from Pew into a buncha deceitful, misleading bullshit. R U surprised?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2012, 09:46 AM
I would take anything posted on Patheos with a giant grain of salt, first of all. They are a religiously slanted arena, and they have a reason to want it to look like religion has a higher retention. Patheos is also the arena where one of their most prominent "atheists" just converted to Catholic very publicly. Not that I don't think that could really happen, but the fact that they made a giant production of it even going so far as to get on Fox News with the story makes me not trust Patheos bloggers. It made national news and it was slanted toward "U.S. Religious Revival on the Rise".
17-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Really, are the atheist numbers ever accurate? I mean, there are many (myself included...well, to some, not to others), that I wouldn't say anything to, others I don't care. But there could be many atheists going to church, raising their kids as religious (possibly even with an atheist spouse who also is in the closet) and then their kids may end up atheist and afraid to tell their parents.... there could be houses of atheists who identify as "christian" just so no one knows--to say nothing of those not saying anything for other reasons.

For that matter, who knows how many just say "Christian" to just hurry up and get out of a poll without a person getting in their face about it. Newer ones saying atheist not thinking much of it, the older ones saying whatever they think will get the person to leave them alone due to experience.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
17-07-2012, 10:31 AM
(17-07-2012 10:17 AM)elemts Wrote:  Really, are the atheist numbers ever accurate? I mean, there are many (myself included...well, to some, not to others), that I wouldn't say anything to, others I don't care. But there could be many atheists going to church, raising their kids as religious (possibly even with an atheist spouse who also is in the closet) and then their kids may end up atheist and afraid to tell their parents.... there could be houses of atheists who identify as "christian" just so no one knows--to say nothing of those not saying anything for other reasons.

Very true, my parents were both closet atheists. They didn't tell us kids until decades later, when they got ready to die. They didn't raise us in any faith, but left us to explore any we wanted. They did raise us with rational thought and explanations for everything. Religion just wasn't talked about at all a home. It was irrelevant. They would have never told a soul they were atheist, my mom because of her super catholic family, dad because of his prominent job. They didn't go to church though. If they had been forced to answer a questionaire (they would not have done so voluntarily) they would have answered catholic.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2012, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2012 01:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"So perhaps the atheists should be hitting the panic button? They’re winning converts, but no one seems to want to stay for long. Why can’t they convince their own children?"

Ummm, so they polled children ?
50 % of Catholics cannot state what is meant by "transubstantiation", 50 % of Luterans cannot state who Martin Luther was.
Maybe they better administer the stupid test first.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post