Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?
I am open to atheists and theists in this thread.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. The reason for my hesitance is because it seems like harm could be caused to the person debated with or they could hurt other people. If someone is unstable and their life is changed by the debate(their beliefs change) then they could act rashly and hurt themselves or other people.

Please let me know what you think!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 12:16 AM
RE: Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am open to atheists and theists in this thread.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. The reason for my hesitance is because it seems like harm could be caused to the person debated with or they could hurt other people. If someone is unstable and their life is changed by the debate(their beliefs change) then they could act rashly and hurt themselves or other people.

Couldn't this be applied to every decision we ever make?
If we looked at everything like that, we'd never get anything done.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
09-03-2015, 12:34 AM
(09-03-2015 12:16 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am open to atheists and theists in this thread.

Couldn't this be applied to every decision we ever make?
If we looked at everything like that, we'd never get anything done.

I suppose anything could make someone snap. Losing faith in a religion or anything that could give them a sense of security or control. Removing that would cause them to grasp for anything else and if they can't find it then they could go crazy, but that could happen in any situation, not just religion.
09-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Welcome to TTA.

As much as we'd like to do it, the theist's rug isn't pulled out from under them so easily so the trauma you predict would be very unlikely.

De-conversion is a slow process and requires rational analysis and reflection.

Conversion would not cause trauma because it does not have the same nihilistic undertones.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-03-2015, 04:51 AM
It could just as easily be predicted that NOT debating would cause someone to become unstable and hurt themselves.....

Especially if they're a fundie whackadoodle...

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Here is my take:
I never openly broach the subject of religion or anything at all unless they broach it first. I never knock at their door and say "Still believe in Jesus? I can fix that!." I would consider that rude. However, the instant they make some kind of argument (which does tend to happen because I have a reputation of being an atheist), I consider it my duty to present an honest, logical response, for the sake of open discourse.

It is not my job to limit myself simply because other people can't handle what I might have to say. They either don't broach the topic, or they leave. I personally don't think that many of people would snap. I think whilst deconversion is an emotional process to varying degrees intense ones to that particular degree are a rarity.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
09-03-2015, 06:14 AM
The question is an interesting one but this kind of thiking only leads to loops, what if i make someone crash and burn if i say this. Well they might crash and burn if you keep silent so.
And if an atheist trys to debate a theist he can always just get up and leave if he doesn' t want to vice versa.
Nobody has to debate if they do not want to so yeah its a good idea. (in my eyes at least)
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM

First, I think that's unlikely and DLJ already did a good job of describing at least one reason why.

Second, anyone unstable enough that would harm themselves or others like that may do so anyway without any belief-altering debates.

Third, I think people affected in this way would be few and far between.

Finally, the larger picture is of much greater concern. The harms that religion does is huge and affects millions. Debates must go on even if there are a few for whom it doesn't work out so well.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
This is a good older article from the national center for science education on debating. It gives a lot of good points.

http://ncse.com/cej/3/2/creation-evoluti...g-them-now
[+] 1 user Likes OceanTherapist's post
09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
(09-03-2015 12:55 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  This is a good older article from the national center for science education on debating. It gives a lot of good points.

http://ncse.com/cej/3/2/creation-evoluti...g-them-now

Good link Ocean Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce