Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?
Yes and no and depends. Atheists do need to open their mouths in challenge to absurd claims and pulpit politics because believers hold power and have weapons. But from a personal level it depends on the comfort of the individual.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
If your belief (either for against the existence of a deity) is so irrational or based so heavily in fantasy and emotion that another person can actually do you harm by questioning it or asking you to explain yourself, you deserve that harm as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course you are legitimately mentally ill. That said, I think we've got to ask ourselves what would be gained by potentially harming another person in this way. If no good would likely come of it, then whenever possible try to take the path of not being a dick.
Find all posts by this user
09-03-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm lookin at the people who think that everything is permitted if there is no god. Probably best to let those folks go on believing..Smile
09-03-2015, 02:48 PM
That speculative reason is FAR and away further from any other reason I would say is sensible to consider in the "no they shouldn't debate" option.

I think stronger ties like, the concept or use of speaking in a manner of "debate" isn't going to actually alter the people engaging in the conversations minds.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Are both participants adults? If so, then let the games begin. If someone is in such a fragile state that they can't handle debating without going off the deep end then they shouldn't debate. But I shouldn't be held accountable for the actions and reactions of a fellow adult, unstable or not, who chooses to engage with me on this subject.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-03-2015, 03:36 PM
(09-03-2015 02:44 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I'm lookin at the people who think that everything is permitted if there is no god. Probably best to let those folks go on believing..Smile

It could be worse if those kinds of people lose their faith because an atheist made them loose it because the atheist can then guide them. If they loose it on their own they could cause some damage before they find someone who steers them right.
09-03-2015, 03:38 PM
(09-03-2015 01:51 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  If your belief (either for against the existence of a deity) is so irrational or based so heavily in fantasy and emotion that another person can actually do you harm by questioning it or asking you to explain yourself, you deserve that harm as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course you are legitimately mentally ill. That said, I think we've got to ask ourselves what would be gained by potentially harming another person in this way. If no good would likely come of it, then whenever possible try to take the path of not being a dick.

There is a difference between being a dick against attacks on science, religious bigotry and religious sexism and especially violence in the name of religion. Yes I will be a dick to those people. You do not protect offensive speech or blasphemy just to say "be a dick every waking moment to everyone" You preserve the attitude of scrutiny so no one group goes off the rails.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. The reason for my hesitance is because it seems like harm could be caused to the person debated with or they could hurt other people. If someone is unstable and their life is changed by the debate(their beliefs change) then they could act rashly and hurt themselves or other people.

So long as we're worried about crazy people going crazy if they hear the wrong things, shouldn't this be rephrased:

"Should theists teach their beliefs to people because it could cause harm to that person or others?"

I mean, it's the same principle, and at least it cuts a bit closer to the root cause as opposed to just avoiding the symptoms.
10-03-2015, 04:39 PM
The only theists worth arguing with are the apologists 'cause they are the only ones even pretending to make an argument.

#sigh
10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Girly, did you recently turn red, or am I just slow?