Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
RE: Should Atheists and Theists Debate Each Other?
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. Please let me know what you think!

Yes Popcorn

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 09:01 PM
I believe it is a waste of time for atheists to debate genuine theists. I can't think of a single case when a true theist has rejected his BS theology after debating an atheist. Anyone who truly believes Jesus was the crucified virgin born son of God who ascended into heaven like a space rocket or even worse. in an illiterate Arab who deflowered his nine year old niece after marrying her at the age of six when he was in his fifties and who claimed he was God's messenger and who personally killed hundreds of "nonbelievers and, according to tradition, ascended into heaven on a flying horse as half of the world's population believe, I conclude they are hopeless idiots beyond help!

I think part of the problem is that most people are basically dumb with brains that haven't increased in complexity in the last one hundred thousand years. The human brain evolved to eat. copulate and avoid being eaten. That's it! Five percent of humans have contributed 95% of the discoveries and inventions that have benefited the other 95% of cretins in the human gene pool.

Someday the other residents of our biosphere will benefit from the self-destructive extinction of homo sapiens as a malignant but temporary species. It doesn't make any difference to me. Our little planet only has a limited lifespan.
10-03-2015, 09:14 PM
(10-03-2015 09:01 PM)Transfinite Wrote:  I believe it is a waste of time for atheists to debate genuine theists. I can't think of a single case when a true theist has rejected his BS theology after debating an atheist.

You don't debate to change the mind of your opponent. You debate to change the minds of your audience. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am open to atheists and theists in this thread.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. The reason for my hesitance is because it seems like harm could be caused to the person debated with or they could hurt other people. If someone is unstable and their life is changed by the debate(their beliefs change) then they could act rashly and hurt themselves or other people.

Please let me know what you think!

The free exchange of ideas is only a bad idea in the realm of religion. (or on university campuses, where if you don't tow the progressive line, you get shouted down, maligned and silenced)
11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
what the hell is a true theist?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
(11-03-2015 10:28 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 12:05 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  I am open to atheists and theists in this thread.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea for atheists to debate theists and vice versa. The reason for my hesitance is because it seems like harm could be caused to the person debated with or they could hurt other people. If someone is unstable and their life is changed by the debate(their beliefs change) then they could act rashly and hurt themselves or other people.

Please let me know what you think!

The free exchange of ideas is only a bad idea in the realm of religion. (or on university campuses, where if you don't tow the progressive line, you get shouted down, maligned and silenced)

What? I think you are falsely playing victim. When you get arrested in Saudi Arabia for merely saying "I am an atheist" and sentenced to lashings and threatened with the death penalty that is being silenced. When you get shot for wanting an education that is being silenced. When you get beheaded because you are a reporter, that is being silenced. Getting shouted down because you are being a fucking prick is nowhere near the same thing.

Offensive speech SHOULD be protected, but when others use the same free market to put pressure on you, because of your own stupidity, the wise thing to do is consider that you are the dick, not the people calling you a dick.

How about you get back to us "progressives" as if that were a slur to us in any case, when we start sticking people in ovens. Since all we are doing is saying "your being an asshole" you have no case.

Pat Robertson is still on the air. John Hegee is still on the air. South Park which picks on everyone including atheists, is still on the air. Free speech if it goes down will not be because of progressives, and it is also a stupid assumption that all "progressives" are PC. Bill Maher and Sam Harris slam religion all the time, and so do I.

But when you are simply acting stupid and getting called out for it, that is not oppression.

Oh and before you go slamming all colleges, Columbia had FORMER PM of Iran "Imadumbassjerk" on for a speech, and did so despite the outcry from both liberals and conservatives. If they had bothered to even watch the speech, the president of Colombia ripped him an new asshole before he came out and spoke. And when he said "there are no gays in Iran" the entire audience laughed in is face.

And Harvard bucked the outcry too from LIBERALS when former Muslim Ayaan Hirsi Ali spoke in criticizing Islam. What these frat guys did was simply stupid and they got their asses rightfully handed to them. They didn't end up in prison for it, nor did the state murder them for saying that stupid shit.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2015, 11:20 AM
(11-03-2015 10:55 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 10:28 AM)TheBear Wrote:  The free exchange of ideas is only a bad idea in the realm of religion. (or on university campuses, where if you don't tow the progressive line, you get shouted down, maligned and silenced)

What? I think you are falsely playing victim. When you get arrested in Saudi Arabia for merely saying "I am an atheist" and sentenced to lashings and threatened with the death penalty that is being silenced. When you get shot for wanting an education that is being silenced. When you get beheaded because you are a reporter, that is being silenced. Getting shouted down because you are being a fucking prick is nowhere near the same thing.

Offensive speech SHOULD be protected, but when others use the same free market to put pressure on you, because of your own stupidity, the wise thing to do is consider that you are the dick, not the people calling you a dick.

How about you get back to us "progressives" as if that were a slur to us in any case, when we start sticking people in ovens. Since all we are doing is saying "your being an asshole" you have no case.

Pat Robertson is still on the air. John Hegee is still on the air. South Park which picks on everyone including atheists, is still on the air. Free speech if it goes down will not be because of progressives, and it is also a stupid assumption that all "progressives" are PC. Bill Maher and Sam Harris slam religion all the time, and so do I.

But when you are simply acting stupid and getting called out for it, that is not oppression.

Oh and before you go slamming all colleges, Columbia had FORMER PM of Iran "Imadumbassjerk" on for a speech, and did so despite the outcry from both liberals and conservatives. If they had bothered to even watch the speech, the president of Colombia ripped him an new asshole before he came out and spoke. And when he said "there are no gays in Iran" the entire audience laughed in is face.

And Harvard bucked the outcry too from LIBERALS when former Muslim Ayaan Hirsi Ali spoke in criticizing Islam. What these frat guys did was simply stupid and they got their asses rightfully handed to them. They didn't end up in prison for it, nor did the state murder them for saying that stupid shit.

Wow. I didn't think my main point would elicit such an emotional response. Thumbsup