Should Child Support Be Abolished?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2013, 08:57 PM
RE: Should Child Support Be Abolished?
(29-12-2013 08:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 08:51 PM)Question Wrote:  Ohio? I wouldn't have guessed.

Georgia is worse. If a man's wife cheats on him and they're still married when the baby is born, he is legally required to be listed as the father on the birth certificate. Even if they are separated, even if the father is there ready to sign the birth certificate they won't let him. Some laws are so weird.

Whoah, that's messed up.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 09:02 PM
(29-12-2013 08:57 PM)Question Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 08:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Georgia is worse. If a man's wife cheats on him and they're still married when the baby is born, he is legally required to be listed as the father on the birth certificate. Even if they are separated, even if the father is there ready to sign the birth certificate they won't let him. Some laws are so weird.

Whoah, that's messed up.

What's sad is that I have seen it forced in a couple of instances.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
29-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I think the question being asked is really a good one. I do think the thread title is misleading, though. I don't think anyone really believes that all child support should be abolished. If you have a couple raising a child and one person leaves, I can't believe anyone reasonably disputes that person still has parental responsibilities. It's when you have two people that are not in a relationship that it gets interesting.

I have no idea what the right answer is. I don't think there is a right answer. I think there are a bunch of not so great options and, no matter what, someone is going to get stuck. Society has to decide who that is going to be and maybe there needs to be a scale to determine it. Maybe. Maybe not.

Anyway, relevant to the topic, some of you may want to read this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 8 users Like BnW's post
29-12-2013, 09:20 PM
(29-12-2013 08:41 PM)natachan Wrote:  I was gonna slap you, since child support absolutely should not be abolished but then I read on.

If a man walks out on a woman and his child, he pays support. Period. You have an infant and you decide to walk out? You're still gonna pay, asshole.

However if you accidentally knock up a gal that's different. Yes, it's unconscionable for a woman to force a man to go through a pregnancy he doesn't want but that isn't call for abolishing child support all together.

I definitely should of been more clear. I'm not in favor of abolishing it completely.
[+] 2 users Like Bocaj910's post
29-12-2013, 09:23 PM
And we're done here. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
29-12-2013, 09:24 PM
(29-12-2013 09:19 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think the question being asked is really a good one. I do think the thread title is misleading, though. I don't think anyone really believes that all child support should be abolished. If you have a couple raising a child and one person leaves, I can't believe anyone reasonably disputes that person still has parental responsibilities. It's when you have two people that are not in a relationship that it gets interesting.

I have no idea what the right answer is. I don't think there is a right answer. I think there are a bunch of not so great options and, no matter what, someone is going to get stuck. Society has to decide who that is going to be and maybe there needs to be a scale to determine it. Maybe. Maybe not.

Sigh, I live in Georgia and I'm from Kansas! Sadcryface2

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
29-12-2013, 09:27 PM
(29-12-2013 09:19 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think the question being asked is really a good one. I do think the thread title is misleading, though. I don't think anyone really believes that all child support should be abolished. If you have a couple raising a child and one person leaves, I can't believe anyone reasonably disputes that person still has parental responsibilities. It's when you have two people that are not in a relationship that it gets interesting.

Interesting, it reminds me of what one of my relatives told me once before.
"Someone's getting raised and someone's gonna pay"

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
29-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Bob: "Well I dont want you to get preggers."
Sally: "And I can't have a baby now! Not yet."
Bob: "condom it is..."

Sally: "oh noes, broken condom!"
Bob: "well my only option was to avoid having sex. Since we both agreed we dont want a baby, we took a precaution. Now youre the only one with any choices left."
Sally: "well, I won't be getting an abortion, but I will put the baby up for adoption. Dont worry, we have a verbal agreement and understanding here."

9mo later:

Sally: "herp derp. Omg so cute... Bob is totally gonna pay for me to keep this baby and raise it to hate him. Smile "
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
30-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Men opt out of paying child support all the time, my dad did. And my mom doesn't have enough money to take him to court over it, so she's been paying for everything my younger siblings need on her own. Child support isn't just about babies and/or whether the mother should abort, it applies to older children of divorcees, too. Therefore, my answer to the OP is no.

For a men's opt out option, I agree with Lost&Insecure. Sign a court document and have no contact. If you want to be a part of the kid's life, then you should help support it.
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
30-12-2013, 06:26 AM
If tried to force me to pay against my will... well it totally violates everything I stand for. I don't know what I would do.

Probably quit my job, and go on welfare indefinitely, and take up a drug habit to ensure I never reach the income threshold where I have to pay a single cent. Become a terrible burden on society and become part of the worlds ills. Just to make a statement. (... ok maybe not... but still....)

Some women really take advantage of this legislation - and I feel sorry for those children growing up with a mother like that. I've met a woman who was proud of it and had multiple kids from different fathers. My Ex GF's colleague who no longer is working. She did quite well for herself. Got a herself a viable lifestyle and much better income than me without having to work. That sort of thing makes me sick and angry at the same time.

Here there are government welfare programs for this sort of thing. No need to extort money from unwilling fathers.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss