Should Child Support Be Abolished?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 08:10 AM
RE: Should Child Support Be Abolished?
I only skimmed through the thread since my own contribution (so you'll have to forgive me if I'm missing something) but it seems like everyone has turned this conversation into a giant gender pissing contest. If a sexual encounter results in an unwanted pregnancy, *both* parties are responsible for coming up with a solution.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
30-12-2013, 08:11 AM
As for men who start something, create a child and then walk out. That is different.

Hopefully as technology improves men will be able to have babies without women and vice versa. It will create a more even playing field and the distinction between sexes will become more blurred. Possibly balance things out more.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
30-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Because obviously any woman who decides she wants to keep a baby when the man doesn't is a gold digging hussy.... O.o
30-12-2013, 09:37 AM
(30-12-2013 06:26 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  If tried to force me to pay against my will... well it totally violates everything I stand for. I don't know what I would do.

Probably quit my job, and go on welfare indefinitely, and take up a drug habit to ensure I never reach the income threshold where I have to pay a single cent. Become a terrible burden on society and become part of the worlds ills. Just to make a statement. (... ok maybe not... but still....)

Some women really take advantage of this legislation - and I feel sorry for those children growing up with a mother like that. I've met a woman who was proud of it and had multiple kids from different fathers. My Ex GF's colleague who no longer is working. She did quite well for herself. Got a herself a viable lifestyle and much better income than me without having to work. That sort of thing makes me sick and angry at the same time.

Here there are government welfare programs for this sort of thing. No need to extort money from unwilling fathers.

If I'm not mistaken welfare is getting a cut?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-12-2013, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 10:56 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
Men absolutely deserve a say in a pregnacy. I find it funny that the old saying "It takes two to tango" has always been used as a defense for the portrayal of the woman as the poor, helpless victim. That saying should also be a saying for why the two should have a say in the decision and not just the woman. We have turned into such a man hating society that men are being forced to pay child support for kids that are not theirs. Even though the mother lied about the kid being theirs the man is STILL forced to pay child support - because somebody with a dick between their legs needs to pay. The woman, on the other hand, gets to get away with her lying bullshit. Don't believe me?

http://dadsrights.com/index.php/childles...d-support/

One man who was paying, because he was forced to, even though the kid wasn't his, was thrown in jail because he could no longer pay because he lost his job!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/man-j...-no/nQHyf/

There is a woman named Karen Straughan that makes some excellent videos discussing this issue and men's rights.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
30-12-2013, 11:06 AM
(30-12-2013 10:49 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Men absolutely deserve a say in a pregnacy. I find it funny that the old saying "It takes two to tango" has always been used as a defense for the portrayal of the woman as the poor, helpless victim. That saying should also be a saying for why the two should have a say in the decision and not just the woman. We have turned into such a man hating society that men are being forced to pay child support for kids that are not theirs. Even though the mother lied about the kid being theirs the man is STILL forced to pay child support - because somebody with a dick between their legs needs to pay. The woman, on the other hand, gets to get away with her lying bullshit. Don't believe me?

http://dadsrights.com/index.php/childles...d-support/

One man who was paying, because he was forced to, even though the kid wasn't his, was thrown in jail because he could no longer pay because he lost his job!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/man-j...-no/nQHyf/

There is a woman named Karen Straughan that makes some excellent videos discussing this issue and men's rights.

I blame Elizabeth Taylor - celebrity divorces and such that were every girl's dream for the past 50+ yrs..... warping our attitudes (mostly women) on what's to be expected from life and from men. Men fall short a little? Divorce em and move on to the next husband......
meanwhile men cannot make a step sideways that's not exploited by feminatzis to the ninth degree causing more and more problems.

don't even get me started...............

Censored

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
30-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I think it may just be an over correction. Women did (and still do in some cases) get completely screwed over in the past. Now what was initially meant to protect women has switched to men getting screwed over. We just really need a happy balance. The hardest part, I think, is that every situation is a little bit different.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
30-12-2013, 11:38 AM
(30-12-2013 11:23 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I think it may just be an over correction. Women did (and still do in some cases) get completely screwed over in the past. Now what was initially meant to protect women has switched to men getting screwed over. We just really need a happy balance. The hardest part, I think, is that every situation is a little bit different.

Happy intelligent balance with a big dose of common sense would be the best.
Has anyone located common sense in the system yet?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
30-12-2013, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 01:06 PM by Adrianime.)
Good thread. I proposed this myself about a year ago.

Yes, I believe there should be an opt out period in the first 3 or 6 months of pregnancy where if a man states, "I do not want this child, or any part in this child's life." Then he should not legally be required to pay child support. If women have the choice for abortion, men should have the choice for being part of that child's life (both emotionally and monetarily).

IMO, if a woman chooses to have the kid when the man does not want the kid, she should be prepared to raise it without his help. Enslaving his wallet for 18 years is BS, when he has no say if the abortion happens or not.

EDIT: What I wrote above was before I actually read the thread. I just wanted to acknowledge all of the awesome people who share a similar point of view.
Boca, thanks for making this thead, and getting people to think!
LostandInsecure awesome post on page 5, that's what I'm talking about! (I'd vote for that.)
Rev and muffs, good job pointing out double standards!
SlowMinded and Foxen, both of you are fighting the good fight in here with many awesome points!
I'm sure I missed other people but oh well. Big Grin

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
30-12-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't think child support should be abolished, but we do need to make changes.

However, I would not let men just opt out if they don't want the kid. I'd rather have children be a burden on the bio-dad than on society in general, and I think that would also reduce the incentive for men to be sexually responsible. I know that personally I'm much more careful because of the threat of child support than I probably would be if I could just sign off and go on my merry way. I wouldn't be completely reckless because of STIs, but it's possible to reduce that risk to an acceptable level while still rolling the dice on making babies.

The first change I'd make is to allow private agreements between the parents (married or not) that covers child support - sort of like a pre-nup. It would cover everything from who gets custody in the case of a breakup to how much is paid to whom and for what time period.

The second is to make child support calculations cost-of-living based rather than income based for those people who neglect create an agreement in advance. Figure out how much it costs on average to raise a lower middle class kid in a particular area, divide it by two and that's the amount the non-custodial parent has to pay.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson