Should Child Support Be Abolished?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 07:19 PM
RE: Should Child Support Be Abolished?
(30-12-2013 07:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The catch is the other person must agree to it. I know a few people who have absolutely gone that route.
Ahh, yes, the other person must agree to it. I wouldn't exactly call that opting out. That's more like asking for permission to opt out.

Note that I really am only talking about decisions made pre-birth for unwanted pregnancies. I'm not talking about families splitting up, or other post-birth custody/child support situations.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
30-12-2013, 07:40 PM
(30-12-2013 07:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Note that I really am only talking about decisions made pre-birth for unwanted pregnancies. I'm not talking about families splitting up, or other post-birth custody/child support situations.

These were all made prebirth or just after birth.

I find it's the best option for both sides in many cases. The custodial parent is free to do as they wish -- such as move, place child in daycare...etc. without pesky involvement and the noncustodial person gets to move on without consequence.

I will say most women feel the man "might" or "should" change their mind, so they end up stifled by a bad baby-daddy. The man is never involved the way they hoped he would be. Instead the baby becomes a device to control.

I've also seen the opposite where the man didn't believe in abortion, pushed for adoption and ended up the full custodial parent alone and without support.

Work for a law firm long enough you see it all a couple times.

Wish everyone followed the simple rule, "don't be a dick".

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-12-2013, 09:03 PM
(30-12-2013 07:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 07:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Is this true? I can't seem to find anything on getting out of child support by forfeiting parenting rights. Can anybody confirm this?

In some states it's as simple as getting a paper signed. In other jurisdictions you must go before a judge who orders your rights severed.

The catch is the other person must agree to it. I know a few people who have absolutely gone that route.

In some states you can if the other parent agrees and in some states you cannot even if the other parent agrees. I don't think there are any states that you can if the other parent does not agree
30-12-2013, 09:12 PM
(30-12-2013 07:12 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 06:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You're making a very broad assertion that only men pay child support.

There are ways of legally getting out of paying child support. All is needed is forfeiting all parental rights. Most people allow their arrogance to get in the way of that option though.

What about a man who raises a child that's not his for many years then abandons the relationship only to then argue he's not financially for the child -- even if he claimed full responsibity for the child during the relationship?

What about men who are lied to about a child being theirs, but still being forced to pay child support, and even jailed for not doing so? That is the kind of stuff that happens in our society today, and the woman aren't held legally responsible at all for lying to the man about it being his child.

If a man walks out of a relationship where he was financially helping to raise the child, but the child is not his, then he has every right to not have to pay child support. Do you think if it were a woman who got into a relationship with a single father and was financially helping to raise the child, then walked out on the relationship, do you think there is a chance in hell that she would ever be forced to pay child support? If the father tried to get child support from her, he'd be told "You should just be grateful that she helped out financially when she was there!" In the case of the man walking out, the man would be called a deadbeat asshole who should be forced to continue paying.

Where are you getting this idea that women are held to different child support standards than men?? It is simply not true. The problem is that child support is based off the income of both parents before an after divorced. So in the cases where the woman was not working in the relationship then she will not have I pay child support in most circumstances. Yes women do go to jail for failure to pay support, yes the woman in your little scenario would be asked to pay support if she was providing more than half of the support in the relationship. The reason that less women pay support is because women are almost always the ones who keep the kids. I know a few women who have married single fathers and then ended up with custody of his kids in the divorce. I am sure they're not the only ones. And the ones I know got friendly custody agreed on by the father. Whether you like it or not our society still expects women to be the ones who step up and take the kids. Whether you like it or not young men are still taught that their role as a parent is financial not physical especially if they are not with the mother. Yes men are discriminated against a lot ad it needs to change, but women are not these evil people you are making them out to be.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
30-12-2013, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 09:26 PM by Question.)
(30-12-2013 06:42 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 02:56 PM)Question Wrote:  I was asking if Welfare was getting a cut, that's what I was there for.

What cut? You want 50% of his income? No welfare isnt that.

Some aspects of the current system are broken. Child support shouldnt be abolished but it is rediculous in its current form.
wel·fare noun \ˈwel-ˌfer\
: a government program for poor or unemployed people that helps pay for their food, housing, medical costs, etc.
A cut = decrease.
To what I was referring to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25...58690.html

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
30-12-2013, 10:32 PM
(29-12-2013 07:17 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  Do you assume here that the man pays the woman and that the woman raises the child?

(30-12-2013 06:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You're making a very broad assertion that only men pay child support.

Yup. Both my brothers' crazy ass ex-wives just left and dumped the kids on my brothers. The poor one is supposed to be getting court-ordered child support but that's like getting blood from a stone 'cause she's even poorer. The well-paid actuary one just assumed the responsibility without looking for child support. Now that the well-paid one has died and his under-18 kids are back with their mother, she's trying to sue his estate for alimony and child support. Good luck with that. Divorce was finalized the day before he died and his oldest son is managing the estate. He says the kids are perfectly welcome to come live with him but his mom ain't getting dick. She'll kick 'em out as soon as their social security and welfare benefits run out when they turn 18.

Deadbeat parents come in both genders.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Ok. So what I'm seeing is we should ignore the responsibilities that come along with the privilege of having sex? When the heck do we say "grow up and be responsible for your choices "come into play?

An unexpected pregnancy should be rare. There are a LOT of precautions one ( well, two) can take. Sadly, many of the mistakes of unplanned pregnancy are to absolute morons who can't be bothered with birth control or were too horny or drunk to believe it could happen to them.

Women are also responsible for child support. As a former caseworker, I've known women to end up in jail for not paying. Also, if a man believes the child is not his he can get a paternity test! Yep, those things are science-y and hold up in court.

Lastly, one does not need to file for support in the first place. It's not required except when the parent is filing for government benefits because the genetic donor should provide the support and not the greater society for the unplanned pregnancy.
30-12-2013, 11:20 PM
(30-12-2013 10:48 PM)aquaquilter Wrote:  Ok. So what I'm seeing is we should ignore the responsibilities that come along with the privilege of having sex? When the heck do we say "grow up and be responsible for your choices "come into play?

I think the main issue here is that if a woman has the right to opt out (abortion) of the responsibilities, then should a man have that same right (I say yes!). The question is not whether or not you think people should take responsibility, because the fact is that women can and do have abortions. So accepting that women get to opt out of responsibility by having an abortion, do you think a man should have the same right to opt out before the birth of the baby?
30-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Child Support will be Abolished no trust me it will
the fact is more and more women are becoming breadwinners now so Child Support will soon be seen as a women's issue the moment that happens Child Support will never be herd of again
Its the same reason I want as many women at the front lines as we can get because I truly believe we would be a lot less likely to go to war
30-12-2013, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 12:07 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
(30-12-2013 09:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 07:12 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  What about men who are lied to about a child being theirs, but still being forced to pay child support, and even jailed for not doing so? That is the kind of stuff that happens in our society today, and the woman aren't held legally responsible at all for lying to the man about it being his child.

If a man walks out of a relationship where he was financially helping to raise the child, but the child is not his, then he has every right to not have to pay child support. Do you think if it were a woman who got into a relationship with a single father and was financially helping to raise the child, then walked out on the relationship, do you think there is a chance in hell that she would ever be forced to pay child support? If the father tried to get child support from her, he'd be told "You should just be grateful that she helped out financially when she was there!" In the case of the man walking out, the man would be called a deadbeat asshole who should be forced to continue paying.

Where are you getting this idea that women are held to different child support standards than men?? It is simply not true. The problem is that child support is based off the income of both parents before an after divorced. So in the cases where the woman was not working in the relationship then she will not have I pay child support in most circumstances. Yes women do go to jail for failure to pay support, yes the woman in your little scenario would be asked to pay support if she was providing more than half of the support in the relationship. The reason that less women pay support is because women are almost always the ones who keep the kids. I know a few women who have married single fathers and then ended up with custody of his kids in the divorce. I am sure they're not the only ones. And the ones I know got friendly custody agreed on by the father. Whether you like it or not our society still expects women to be the ones who step up and take the kids. Whether you like it or not young men are still taught that their role as a parent is financial not physical especially if they are not with the mother. Yes men are discriminated against a lot ad it needs to change, but women are not these evil people you are making them out to be.

Whether you like it or not, our society says that the only role of the father is financial, and whether he's a good father or not doesn't mean shit. I've seen more than enough cases of men who are good fathers and love their kids very much being kept away from their kids because of the mom being a bitch and refusing to let the dads be a part of their children's lives.

How many articles can you show me about women that were jailed for not paying child support to their husbands, especially ones for kids that are not theirs?

How many articles can you show me where a woman was penalized at all for lying to a man about a kid being his?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain