Should Child Support Be Abolished?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 11:11 AM
RE: Should Child Support Be Abolished?
Once again, I do not question woman's right to choose whether she keeps or aborts the baby. I am firmly pro choice.

I am pointing out that if a person (in this case the women, and my position would be the same if it was men ) is solely responsible for making the choice , she should be solely responsible for the outcome of that choice.

Needs to be said that I am talking strictly about accidental pregnancies, not children born in marriage and alike.

When a woman finds out that the father doesn't want to have a child, she should take that into account when making a decision about keeping the baby or not.

She can then decide to abort or to keep the baby but accepting that she will be only one financially responsible for the child. There is no need for pregnancy/abortion is hard arguments.
They are both equally hard regardless of child support. Drinking Beverage
I think that is enough choice.

Making a decision on her own, but forcing somebody else to to suffer consequences of that choice is unacceptable.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
31-12-2013, 11:42 AM
For the ones who are for forced child support when it comes to accidental pregnancies, can you please answer one question and explain your opinion.

What is more fair?

To force a man to pay child support for 18 years for a child he doesn't want.

or

To have a women solely financially responsible for the child she does want?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
31-12-2013, 11:55 AM
(31-12-2013 10:09 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 09:52 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I pay $32k a year in child support for two kids, and do so gladly. It was my choice to have help create them, and my choice to leave their mother. Life is to short to be miserable, and you only get one life, might as well enjoy the ride. Thankfully their mother and I are great friends still and all go out together as a group often (ex and her new husband, me and my wife, and our kids)...because in the end, the kid's didnt have a choice, you brought them in the world, abandonment isn't a valid option, neither is non financial support.

Thank you for typing "...and do so gladly" for those are the best words a man can say (whatever the amount is).

Key word - Man.

Always a pleasure to meet a real man. Always.

A real man because he provides?

we must be careful with stereotypes Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 5 users Like nach_in's post
31-12-2013, 12:16 PM
(31-12-2013 11:55 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:09 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Thank you for typing "...and do so gladly" for those are the best words a man can say (whatever the amount is).

Key word - Man.

Always a pleasure to meet a real man. Always.

A real man because he provides?

we must be careful with stereotypes Wink

A real father because he steps up and does his part in providing for the children that he chose to have. Supporting the children you choose to have is absolutely necessary, and not the same as being asked to support a child when you wanted the mother to abort.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
31-12-2013, 12:21 PM
(31-12-2013 10:47 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  To the people who keep saying should child-support should be abolished that's bullshit. I'm not sure what people think is going on with the money for child support but child-support is for the child. The child suffers without it you know that right? This is not to be mean to the other parent. For 8 1/2 years my parents were married. Then my father decided to be a dick and leave my mother for younger woman. I had severe asthma and other medical conditions including a heart condition. All of my medications and surgeries and doctors appointments were very expensive. Why in the hell shouldn't he have to help my mother pay for any of my medical expenses or my schooling, which he only did sporadically, (threatened with wage garnishment and jail sentences). I was not an unexpected pregnancy. Lawrence Johnson simply got tired of the sick kid with the red hair and freckles that he didn't think was genetically his. So what even after three paternity test all of which came out positive that I was genetically his just because he didn't think so he thought he shouldn't have to pay child support for me? So because he didn't like the idea my mom should've kept her legs close? Sorry I guess my mom should've known he was a douche right?
I think any father who has taken on the (legal) role of a father should pay child support should the father and mother split and the mother has main custody. I'm arguing that a man should not be forced to take on the role of father for an unborn child that he would choose to be aborted. He should be able to give up his role as father (in the abortion window), and not be responsible financially for the child if it is born. Although I will say, I think he should have to pay for the abortion (if it happens).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
31-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Do those who advocate the abolishment of financial childsupport, propose any alternative that can keep parents from falling into poverty?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
31-12-2013, 12:30 PM
(31-12-2013 12:24 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Do those who advocate the abolishment of financial childsupport, propose any alternative that can keep parents from falling into poverty?
To clarify, my position is to offer an opt out for child support in cases of unexpected and unwanted pregnancies where abortion was an option for the woman, but not for the man. If a person chooses to be a parent, they are choosing that struggle (parenting is a struggle). I don't support the idea that it is society's responsibility to provide for parents who chose to have a child, but do not have the finances to actually raise the child. I know that is harsh, and will probably generate some hate, but I don't like a system that encourages irresponsible decisions. A parent should take into account if they are able to raise a child with their financial situation before they have a child.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
31-12-2013, 12:52 PM
(31-12-2013 10:57 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:49 AM)Impulse Wrote:  A large part of the discussion concerns when a woman decides to have the child despite the man's wishes for her to abort it instead. The question presented was should the man pay child support.

And the answer is no. If a man decides he doesn't want the child and tells the woman when she still has time to abort, then no he should not have to pay child support. She would know exactly what she faces and be able to make an informed decision to have the baby and raise it alone with no help from him at all, have the baby and give it up for adoption, or have an abortion. The "child" would not suffer because presumably she would not choose the first option if she could not raise the baby on her own.
That's pretty simplistic. You're basically saying that, if the man wants to back out of his responsibility, the woman is faced with two choices: 1) take a medical risk (perhaps ruining her chances of ever having a child) and have an abortion despite that this might not be what she would choose if the man had shared the responsibility of having the child or 2) raise the child with half the money and only herself to do all the parental work. Not very good choices. And not choices she should have to make given that both parties, including the man, knew exactly the risks they were taking when they had sex.

Having the child and giving it up for adoption is another alternative, but not one that is in the best interest of the child. There is no guarantee that the child will be adopted and it risks the child spending his/her life in an orphanage or in foster homes. Neither of those are nearly as good as being brought up by parents.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
31-12-2013, 12:59 PM
(31-12-2013 11:42 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  For the ones who are for forced child support when it comes to accidental pregnancies, can you please answer one question and explain your opinion.

What is more fair?

To force a man to pay child support for 18 years for a child he doesn't want.

or

To have a women solely financially responsible for the child she does want?
If you're thinking only of the man, it would be number 1. If you're thinking only of the woman, it would be number 2. However, if you are thinking of the child - which is where the decision should be based - clearly it's number 1 - the man pays child support for 18 years. "Fairness" is only relevant as it applies to the child.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
31-12-2013, 01:01 PM
(31-12-2013 12:52 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 10:57 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  And the answer is no. If a man decides he doesn't want the child and tells the woman when she still has time to abort, then no he should not have to pay child support. She would know exactly what she faces and be able to make an informed decision to have the baby and raise it alone with no help from him at all, have the baby and give it up for adoption, or have an abortion. The "child" would not suffer because presumably she would not choose the first option if she could not raise the baby on her own.
That's pretty simplistic. You're basically saying that, if the man wants to back out of his responsibility, the woman is faced with two choices: 1) take a medical risk (perhaps ruining her chances of ever having a child) and have an abortion despite that this might not be what she would choose if the man had shared the responsibility of having the child or 2) raise the child with half the money and only herself to do all the parental work. Not very good choices. And not choices she should have to make given that both parties, including the man, knew exactly the risks they were taking when they had sex.

Having the child and giving it up for adoption is another alternative, but not one that is in the best interest of the child. There is no guarantee that the child will be adopted and it risks the child spending his/her life in an orphanage or in foster homes. Neither of those are nearly as good as being brought up by parents.

No, they are not great choices.

Still, far better then having no fucking choice whatsoever, isn't it?