Should I "Come Out" as Atheist to my old Christian friends?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Should I "Come Out" as Atheist to my old Christian friends?
I'm really wondering. I don't mind doing it. Or would it just be a bad idea?

☆☆☆
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Should I "Come Out" as Atheist to my old Christian friends?
Depends on if they are A-holes or not. If they're truly your friends then it shouldn't be a problem. If they're A-holes... then why were they ever your friends?
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
21-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Being an Australian, I have never had this problem as most Aussies do not take religion seriously. For example, last census, the biggest religion was Jedi.

Just tell your friends you have become a Jedi.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Only you can answer that. We can't judge how accepting they are likely to be of you.

If you decide to it might work best if you do it gradually. Pick one or two of the more open-minded ones to start with and let them know that you don't believe any more. Avoid the A-word unless asked straight out. It gets right up the noses of certain types of believes. Try to avoid getting pulled into debates/arguments too. This isn't about right or wrong, it's about who you are.

As for being a bad idea, you may end up losing some of them. You've read some of the horror stories here. One thing's for sure, you'll discover which ones actually are your friends.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
22-09-2016, 03:02 PM
No need? No deed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2016, 03:02 PM
You might get the pleasant surprise - and find that one of them might not think fairy tales are real.................

Odder things have happened....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-09-2016, 03:03 PM
What do you hope to gain? Is it about being open and honest, "out and proud" about who you are? Are these friendships important to you - worth maintaining the guise to keep them? Or do you figure it's just a way to shed some dead wood and an invitation for those who are gonna be pissed about it to exit your life? Sometimes there are people we might want to disentangle ourselves from but don't want to do anything active to make it happen - don't want a confrontation. So we do something to give them an excuse to walk away on their own.

I have found that one reaction you sometimes get from believers when you come out to them is that they rush to the assumption that you think they're stupid for continuing to believe. It's not that they have much of a problem with your lack of belief it's that they feel as if you'll judge them.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
03-10-2016, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 05:15 AM by Cumulus.)
(21-09-2016 05:36 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm really wondering. I don't mind doing it. Or would it just be a bad idea?

The only people I haven't come out to are my parents. My Christian friends accepted me just fine. In fact they didn't seem to care much.

And why would they? They're out living their own lives, going to college, working, whatever.

They might be the slightest bit upset at first (because they believe that a bearded man in the sky will send you to H-E-Double Hockey Stick) but they'll most likely move on in 3-5 seconds and keep being your friends. If not, who cares? You have better things to do than hang out with them anyways. Oh, the places you'll go!... one of them being Hell! Blush[Image: big0545202019.jpg.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Cumulus's post