Should I Delete Christian Music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Should I Delete Christian Music?
Although I am now an atheist, I still have a few Christian heavy metal albums on my iTunes account. Listening to them through non-religious ears, i realize now that they are not of the same quality as proper heavy metal although, to be fair, some aren't too bad.
Should i just delete them and have no Christian music at all? Have others here experience of this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: Should I Delete Christian Music?
Honestly, if you like the music, I don't see why you would want to delete it, other than maybe the lyrics annoying you or something similar. There is no ban on listening to christian music simply because you're an atheist.
[+] 14 users Like Maratiga's post
08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Let's leave the destroying of music that isn't ideologically pure to the benighted evangelicals and the Nazis.

I listen to tons of religious music, because much great classical music is sacred. Of course in that case there are no obvious differences in quality. I avoid christian rock like the plague most of the time. As a big metal fan, I'm curious what kind of material you have there. Linky?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 6 users Like Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 02:36 PM
The music will naturally lose its appeal to you, because the lyrics will be sort of flat, meaningless over time. That did happen to me, yea...I kept some Christian music on my ipod, and over time...I just stopped listening to it.

Be true to yourself. Heart
08-04-2015, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 02:52 PM by ELK12695.)
(08-04-2015 02:09 PM)cyberman Wrote:  Although I am now an atheist, I still have a few Christian heavy metal albums on my iTunes account. Listening to them through non-religious ears, i realize now that they are not of the same quality as proper heavy metal although, to be fair, some aren't too bad.
Should i just delete them and have no Christian music at all? Have others here experience of this?

Depends if lyrics really matter to you. I can for example tolerate some of Dave Mustaine's Deth' songs that have religious themes in it (Devil's Island, Last Rites/Loved to Death, Looking Down the Cross), but I hate his songs that imply his jesus bollocks is the truth (A Call to Arms, Of Mice and Men).

A question though. Do you have something like Deicide or Slayer on your account, songs that endorses Satan(and brutally killing christians, lol)? Do you look at such songs in the same light?

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
08-04-2015, 02:52 PM
I can enjoy The Messiah and the Sistine Chapel as works of art without believing in Christian God, just like I can enjoy the Temple of Artemis or Akshardham Temple. I don't see why you should delete your music. If it stands on its own without the Christianity, great. If it doesn't you'll eventually tire of it.
[+] 3 users Like Desert Diva's post
08-04-2015, 03:08 PM
I agree with the others. Enjoy the music for what it is.

A choir piece I like is called "Heaven father" (in another language), the music is great, the voices are great (love male choirs).

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
08-04-2015, 04:18 PM
I still listen to 90's Christian crossover occasionally, like U2, or... Creed.......... yes I said it Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
08-04-2015, 04:33 PM
If you enjoy it - keep it.

We don't have any rules that forbid listening to Christian music. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-04-2015, 04:40 PM
(08-04-2015 02:42 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Do you have something like Deicide or Slayer on your account, songs that endorses Satan(and brutally killing christians, lol)?

Absurd! Who would have such music!

http://youtu.be/jhGQT4IGGaU

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.